• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you agree with the final result?

Do you agree with the final result?

• Total voters

mr_mister

Interesting. Imagine if rain had come and one side had a reduced overs innings and one didn't. Then the boundary law really would have been controversial

TheJediBrah

Why not just whichever team sat higher on the points table? Surely that's the most sensible way to decide, because they had a better (at least points-wise) qualifying stage

DravidFan

Why not just whichever team sat higher on the points table? Surely that's the most sensible way to decide, because they had a better (at least points-wise) qualifying stage
Then you're not really distinguishing between the league stage and the knockout stage. You're calling it a knockout but it really isn't because you're considering points from the league stage.

Fuller Pilch

Imagine if England had scored just one more boundary than us - the rebound from Stokes's bat.

The ironic thing is that we were better at scoring off more balls than the opposition and not having so many dot balls and it cost us the tournament

mr_mister

Imagine if England had scored just one more boundary than us - the rebound from Stokes's bat.

The ironic thing is that we were better at scoring off more balls than the opposition and not having so many dot balls and it cost us the tournament
Did that count as a boundary?

TheJediBrah

Then you're not really distinguishing between the league stage and the knockout stage. You're calling it a knockout but it really isn't because you're considering points from the league stage.
So what? Why should you distinguish it? The group stage is still part of the World Cup and probably should be given more weight

Chrish

Team with the most boundaries winning makes as much sense as team with the most opposition LBW dismissals being declared as a winner. It doesn't make any logical sense.

morgieb

It's a weird tiebreaker, but the rules were clear, so I guess England deserved the win.

Personally I'd have done a sudden death super ball if the super over was tied.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Its harder to hit the same number of runs when you hit less boundaries. So nope, I dont really agree but rules are rules.

social

Absolute farce

The basic premise of cricket is to score more runs than the opposition and that didn’t happen

TheJediBrah

Upon a deeper think I believe England should still have been the winners, but because of their higher position on the points table, not the ridiculous most-boundaries rule that should never have even been thought up let alone applied

NZ had plenty of luck making it to make the semis

Chrish

One can easily argue that deflection rule in an attempt of run out is just as silly as most boundary winner stuff.

TheJediBrah

that deflection rule has always been in cricket there though. Or at least as far as I can remember. The boundary countback is just random and dumb. We should know better than to invent even more dumb rules in the game these days.

Bahnz

One can easily argue that deflection rule in an attempt of run out is just as silly as most boundary winner stuff.
Moreso I'd say. At least the boundary tie-breaker is just totally arbitrary. The runs off a deflection rule is totally unfair - something which everyone acknowledges as shown by the convention that batsmen won't run for any available overthrows (even - admirably for Stokes and Rashid - in a World Cup final).