• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Drugs

NasserFan207

For legal purposes, I'd like to clarify that I am in no way encouraging anything. This is an attempt at adult debate related to the various mind altering substances available to your average purveyor and the curious scenarios said substances provide. Opinion may or may not come straight from the source, it could be second-hand or even imaginary. In any case, my hope is intelligence will shine forth and folks will realise when something is, well... ****ed up.

Basically, there's a reason **** is illegal but there's also a reason people do ****.

Whats your opinion on (hard) drugs? Experiences (Bad, good)? Have any of these experiences involved hookers? Xmas pudding? Large, serial killer infested country fields? Do you actually remember any of this ****?

I've had my share over the years, but I'd be interested to garner what this forum might have to offer.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Unless discussion is confined to whether or certain drugs ought to be legalised I imagine the thread will end up locked/deleted. Can't imagine James and the mods are likely to be happy with people recounting anecdotes of how they used to take heroin or whatever...

I'll submit, however, that the majority of what can be considered 'hard' drugs are banned for a reason, and ought to remain banned.

Daemon

For legal purposes, I'd like to clarify that I am in no way encouraging anything. This is an attempt at adult debate related to the various mind altering substances available to your average purveyor and the curious scenarios said substances provide. Opinion may or may not come straight from the source, it could be second-hand or even imaginary. In any case, my hope is intelligence will shine forth and folks will realise when something is, well... ****ed up.

Basically, there's a reason **** is illegal but there's also a reason people do ****.

Whats your opinion on (hard) drugs? Experiences (Bad, good)? Have any of these experiences involved hookers? Xmas pudding? Large, serial killer infested country fields? Do you actually remember any of this ****?

I've had my share over the years, but I'd be interested to garner what this forum might have to offer.
lol

NasserFan207

I wasn't thinking heroin, but if posters have tried something like that it might be worthwhile to discuss

Just being honest really, drugs are a part of modern life and most people will have experiences whether positive or negative

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'll submit, however, that the majority of what can be considered 'hard' drugs are banned for a reason, and ought to remain banned.
Alcohol is legal, and is more dangerous than pretty much every illegal drug. Only heroin, methadone and crack cocaine are more dangerous.

As far as I'm concerned, people should be able to take what they want. I'm strongly for the legalisation and regulation of all currently illegal drugs; I think such a move would be a massive boot to the balls of organised crime, it would reduce the price by increasing the supply chain which would mean there would be less incentive for addicts to turn to crime to feed their habit, it would result in a safer product as dealers wouldn't cut the purity of the drugs with ****e like rat poison or floor cleaner in order to boost their profits, it would free up masses of police resources and would bring in revenue to the government through taxation.

I accept that there's a moral argument against the government profiting from such substances, but once again I'll point out that alcohol and tobacco are legal.

Agent Nationaux

Alcohol is legal, and is more dangerous than pretty much every illegal drug. Only heroin, methadone and crack cocaine are more dangerous.

As far as I'm concerned, people should be able to take what they want. I'm strongly for the legalisation and regulation of all currently illegal drugs; I think such a move would be a massive boot to the balls of organised crime, it would reduce the price by increasing the supply chain which would mean there would be less incentive for addicts to turn to crime to feed their habit, it would result in a safer product as dealers wouldn't cut the purity of the drugs with ****e like rat poison or floor cleaner in order to boost their profits, it would free up masses of police resources and would bring in revenue to the government through taxation.

I accept that there's a moral argument against the government profiting from such substances, but once again I'll point out that alcohol and tobacco are legal.
It is a good point that you make, but then due to easy access, more people will be on drugs and therefore more accidents.

jan

"Half of the young people who participated in the survey say they are optimistic about their future. The other half cant afford to buy drugs."

I like drugs. That is I like a drug. Alcohol is perfectly legal, socially acceptable and it makes fat women more attractive. My experience with booze is overall positive and I dont judge users of other drugs as long as I am not disturbed by them (which is 99% the case)

Tobacco and booze are taxed here and state earns fortune from it. I wonder whats the income from taxes on weed in the Netherlands.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It is a good point that you make, but then due to easy access, more people will be on drugs and therefore more accidents.
Not necessarily true. I wouldn't advocate a system where you could just pop into Tesco, pick up some rice, chicken, and a bottle of wine for dinner, then pop into the narcotics aisle and pick up a bag of heroin to cook up after dinner.

It would need to be strictly licensed, far more strictly than alcohol is now. And I doubt that there's thousands of people who would be junkies were it not for the fact that certain drugs are illegal. I don't do cocaine because it's a **** drug, not because it's illegal. Drugs are fairly easy to get hold of if you want them anyway.

NasserFan207

You're right, though drugs are 10x easier to get when legal, i guess you'd have to weigh up the overall loss/gain from either position, its not cut and dry.

That said, as long as drugs get heavily taxed organised crime will have its place. I know people who will buy black market tobacco, just as an example.

Agent Nationaux

Not necessarily true. I wouldn't advocate a system where you could just pop into Tesco, pick up some rice, chicken, and a bottle of wine for dinner, then pop into the narcotics aisle and pick up a bag of heroin to cook up after dinner.

It would need to be strictly licensed, far more strictly than alcohol is now. And I doubt that there's thousands of people who would be junkies were it not for the fact that certain drugs are illegal. I don't do cocaine because it's a **** drug, not because it's illegal. Drugs are fairly easy to get hold of if you want them anyway.
Maybe something like a prescription with signatures from 2 different doctors for a drug.

G.I.Joe

A doctor wouldn't prescribe a drug if there wasn't an indication for its use. It would take a very shady doctor to write out one for a recreational drug.

Agent Nationaux

A doctor wouldn't prescribe a drug if there wasn't an indication for its use. It would take a very shady doctor to write out one for a recreational drug.
Isn't that the whole point of legalising drugs. To have doctors or medical practitioners prescribe drugs for people who need them (for example to wean them off drugs).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Isn't that the whole point of legalising drugs. To have doctors or medical practitioners prescribe drugs for people who need them (for example to wean them off drugs).
No, I'd legalise drugs because I don't think people should be criminalised if they want to smoke a couple of joints in the privacy of their own home. I think people should be able to buy cannabis from a source that isn't linked to organised crime, and they should be confident in the product's purity and safety.

Nightclubs in particular, would be able to make a fortune if they could legally sell ecstasy.

G.I.Joe

Systems to deal with those cases that require to be weaned off drugs are already in existence.

salman85

Personally,i tend to avoid everything apart from Alcohol.I've tried weed but it didn't do anything for me.I've had some pretty crazy experiences with Alcohol though.

Alcohol is simple.I just don't feel going through all the hassle of rolling a joint.I smoke cigarettes,but i've never been inclined towards anything more complicated,for the lack of a better word.

Agent Nationaux

I guess that's OK, but what about the really hard stuff like Heroin, I mean how would you control the amount people take something like that, and it isn't exactly a recreational drug like weed.

Agent Nationaux

Personally,i tend to avoid everything apart from Alcohol.I've tried weed but it didn't do anything for me.I've had some pretty crazy experiences with Alcohol though.

Alcohol is simple.I just don't feel going through all the hassle of rolling a joint.I smoke cigarettes,but i've never been inclined towards anything more complicated,for the lack of a better word.
How hard is it to get Alcohol in Karachi?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
You're right, though drugs are 10x easier to get when legal, i guess you'd have to weigh up the overall loss/gain from either position, its not cut and dry.

That said, as long as drugs get heavily taxed organised crime will have its place. I know people who will buy black market tobacco, just as an example.
This is a huge problem, legalising drugs will not eliminate organised crime, it will only increase it and make it harder to police.

Another problem (potentially anyway) is the rise in number of students taking "performance enhancing drugs" so to aid their studies. Whilst at the moment, it's not particularly commonplace, and isn't banned, my attitude to them remains "if you're doing all you can to succeed whilst staying within the rules then you're entitled to carry on as you will".

However, even if there are no harmful side effects to taking these types of drugs (which I gather is a matter for debate - and the drugs ftr are to aid you in staying awake longer or something) I still think they ought to be brought under regulation. If it is shown that the drugs in question give some significant advantage to those who choose to take them, then it it's likely to create a rather nasty culture amongst students. Obviously people will want to keep up with their peers, and thus they will perhaps feel inclined to follow suit and take the drugs as well. If the taking of such drugs becomes so commonplace that you're basically being handicapped by not taking them....well, this isn't a nice possibility. Not least because it will favour the rich over the poor, but does anyone really want to live in a society where such a practice is accepted or considered the norm and these values are implicitly encouraged?

I for one, do not. In fact the prospect is a grim one indeed, surely this totally demeans the entire premise of academic assessment. This sort of thing ought to be stamped out.