• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fear Of The Dentist

nikhil1772

Oh my god...the pain!!! Just got back from a dentist,went there for a root canal...I never thought I'd experience such pain in my life...even with local anaesthesia on...Still got two more appointments,they say it wont pain that time,but I hardly believe the dentists.

The only bright side was that it was a young female dentist who did the root canal and apologized every time she caused me pain!

Does anyone of you here had the Dentist scare?

Son Of Coco

No, I actually got hit in the mouth by a cricket ball in 5th grade! Wrecked a perfect set of teeth, but cancelled out any fear of dentists! :D The guy that hit me should have been playing thirds or so, but was a glory hunter! :@ I was bowling by the way :blink:

andyc

nope, not afraid of dentists in the slightest, which is good cause i have to go there every month. im probably not scared because i have to go every month, actually, because i never get hurt. i do, however, absolutely hate getting teeth extracted (ive had maybe 6-8 extracted), mainly cause i just hate the whole needle-being-stuck-in-your-mouth-thing, which is mainly cause i hate getting injections.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
andyc said:
nope, not afraid of dentists in the slightest, which is good cause i have to go there every month. im probably not scared because i have to go every month, actually, because i never get hurt. i do, however, absolutely hate getting teeth extracted (ive had maybe 6-8 extracted), mainly cause i just hate the whole needle-being-stuck-in-your-mouth-thing, which is mainly cause i hate getting injections.
Every month? Wow, tough call. You having some kinda orthodontic (sp?) work done?

I'm not afraid of the dentists, but I have noted that about 99% of dentists over here are Aussies, Kiwis or Saffies! Must be the exchange rate, I guess.

steds

BoyBrumby said:
I'm not afraid of the dentists, but I have noted that about 99% of dentists over here are Aussies, Kiwis or Saffies! Must be the exchange rate, I guess.
Mine's from India. He's a Sikh

andyc

BoyBrumby said:
Every month? Wow, tough call. You having some kinda orthodontic (sp?) work done?

yep, its a long story that became a whole lot longer with my moving to china, meaning i was going between two different dentists.. right now i have a plate on the top and the bottom, and braces (but no wire) on the bottom. oh yeah, my teeth are completely f***ed up.. it comes from my dad's side-- someone in our family is over 60 and still has all her baby teeth

nikhil1772

steds said:
Mine's from India. He's a Sikh
Well,how is he then,must give you a hard time,they are not known to be gentle you know...

Personally I think lady dentists are always better...they are gentle and in my case also offer apologies!

Link

i know what you are going through. At the moment i have three scheduled appointments with that freak. The next one will be the second at that is on friday the 13th. I cant take the injections and them getting on the bus dribbling all over the place. I feel your pain, but it has to be done

Smudge

BoyBrumby said:

In NZ, plenty of dentists leave university with $100,000 student loans, and they all tend to head overseas to get rid of as much of their loan as possible.

cameeel

it would have to be a pretty depressing job being a dentist, nobody wanting to visit you

andyc

cameeel said:
it would have to be a pretty depressing job being a dentist, nobody wanting to visit you
they have the highest suicide rate, too, i think

nikhil1772

cameeel said:
No I have always thought of Dentists otherwise,that they are jolly people...they have to be...I did not know that they had the highest suicide rate...it mite not be true

Robertinho

I think being a dentist would be a pretty crappy job. Staring down people's throats all day, having to be absolutely precise in all that you do, and having to stand the sound of drills and the like all day. Though, I imagine that they'd get used to it, and you need to be a gun to be a dentist, so they'd probably enjoy it.

nikhil1772

Crappy job yes...but they do earn a lot...sometimes I wonder if the treatment is worth the money we pay,then I think nobody else would do the gross job of cleaning up ur mouth...maybe they charge so much for that only

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I had major teeth problems when I was a small kid and I have vivid scary memories.

Luckily, or maybe because I read dread the prospect of going to one which has made me extra cautious regarding teeth, I havent had to go to a dentist for the past 7-8 years. I am 22 and I last went when I was like 14 or 15..

phew

Now the fears have came back from sub sonscious and I am feeling the heat.

nikhil1772

I just cant understand why local anaesthesia doesn't work completely,I mean in other minor operations u dont feel a thing when you're operated upon...Same thing should happen with teeth also...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
nikhil1772 said:
I just cant understand why local anaesthesia doesn't work completely,I mean in other minor operations u dont feel a thing when you're operated upon...Same thing should happen with teeth also...
I am not a doctor but it could be because of the direct connection to the spinal cord which results in immense pain which is not possible to avoid.

Sudeep

I'm not fearful of the dentist, but that's probably because I haven't needed one yet. I do agree though, there are quite a few categories of doctors that seem to do too less for the money they make. But then again, health is what people pay the most to have.