• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Freedom of the press ?

Deja moo

There are quite a lot of posters on the forums aspiring to a career in journalism. I'd like to know their views on the American journalist who refused to reveal the source who leaked the true identity of a lady as a CIA agent. The lady happened to be the wife of a strident critic of the war on Iraq, and blowing the cover of a CIA agent is a criminal offence in the US. Personally, I think she deserves the jail sentence shes getting. Freedom of the press and guaranteeing anonymity of a souce cannot be a shield for a criminal offence.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Freedom of the press doesn't exist because the criticism of different ethnic groups is not tolerated (As Mr. Kilroy rather stupidly found out in his ill informed rant against islam) .. Freedom of speech is the ability to criticize as well as to take criticism AFAIK

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
its perfectly allowed in america, as long as you dont try to incite any sort of hatred you can express your views as you like, whatever they may be, and yes quite right, that fool kilroy fell foul of the fact that you cant get away with that here.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Freedom of the press doesn't exist because the criticism of different ethnic groups is not tolerated (As Mr. Kilroy rather stupidly found out in his ill informed rant against islam) .. Freedom of speech is the ability to criticize as well as to take criticism AFAIK
Its a fine line between criticism and slander, though...

But in essence, I do agree with you. But maybe criticism doesn't need to be applied so specifically towards certain racial/religious groups? Its not the religion that is causing all these problems, its the fanatacism. The religion is just an excuse.

Langeveldt

Soutie
vic_orthdox said:

But in essence, I do agree with you. But maybe criticism doesn't need to be applied so specifically towards certain racial/religious groups? Its not the religion that is causing all these problems, its the fanatacism. The religion is just an excuse.
It was a pretty appalingly worded article.. I don't think he was that hateful, just trying to get some votes, and being pretty stupid about it

Top_Cat

The lady happened to be the wife of a strident critic of the war on Iraq, and blowing the cover of a CIA agent is a criminal offence in the US. Personally, I think she deserves the jail sentence shes getting. Freedom of the press and guaranteeing anonymity of a souce cannot be a shield for a criminal offence.
Who are you talking about? It was Karl Rove who revealed who Valerie Plame is.

But in essense I agree; Karl Rove should be in much deeper pooie than he is for that. Imagine if she'd been murdered before she get out of Saudi Arabia?

EDIT: Errr, I mean Robert Novak.

Shut up, Corey. :D

Last edited:

Top_Cat

As for protecting sources, no reporter should have to fork over their sources. This can put sources lives at risk! Much like Police informants. However, this is different; it's pretty well known in reporting circles that reporting the real name or pseudonym of an undercover agent of any agency is an offence and/or who ever did the revealing or encouraged/facilitated the revelation, should be prosecuted.

Deja moo

Top_Cat said:
As for protecting sources, no reporter should have to fork over their sources. This can put sources lives at risk! Much like Police informants. However, this is different; it's pretty well known in reporting circles that reporting the real name or pseudonym of an undercover agent of any agency is an offence and/or who ever did the revealing or encouraged/facilitated the revelation, should be prosecuted.
yup. Thats my point too.

Slow Love™

Top_Cat said:
Who are you talking about? It was Karl Rove who revealed who Valerie Plame is.

But in essense I agree; Karl Rove should be in much deeper pooie than he is for that. Imagine if she'd been murdered before she get out of Saudi Arabia?

EDIT: Errr, I mean Robert Novak.

Shut up, Corey. :D
Don't worry, you're right anyway - Rove was confirmed as Cooper's source, and was almost definitely Novak's source (he actually has some history of leaking information to Novak).

I'd like to see Rove go to jail. Don't think it'll happen though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
vic_orthdox said:

"The Arabs are a people of suicide bombers, women repressors and limb amputators who have given the world nothing but oil"

That is not freedom of speech. That's being a racist bigot.

Top_Cat

Don't worry, you're right anyway - Rove was confirmed as Cooper's source, and was almost definitely Novak's source (he actually has some history of leaking information to Novak).

I'd like to see Rove go to jail. Don't think it'll happen though.
Rove is FAR too close to the president for my liking...........

How he even knew about Plame is beyond me. No-one other than the agency concerned should know about secret operatives. Well, that's the way (on paper) it is in Australia.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Neil Pickup said:
"The Arabs are a people of suicide bombers, women repressors and limb amputators who have given the world nothing but oil"

I was just talking in general terms, referring more to this part:
Langeveldt said:
Freedom of speech is the ability to criticize as well as to take criticism AFAIK
than the rest of the post.

Dasa

Neil Pickup said:
Even if I disagree vehemently with statements like that, I would still like to think anyone is allowed to make them, and accordingly, we can criticise them for making such statements.

Slow Love™

Neil Pickup said:

It is, but it DOES fall within the parameters of free speech. If the quote had been: "The Arabs are a people of suicide bombers, women repressors and limb amputators who have given the world nothing but oil - and their blood must form rivers down the streets of Leeds.", then it would be incitement, and not be protected.