• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Getting drivers license in UK (help from an English person please!!!)

AlanJLegend

Hey guys!

My girlfriend wants to get her driving license soon. At the end of the year we may be going to England (where she was born) for a couple of months, and she has an idea that she wants to try getting her driving license over there.

I've been trying to find some information online, but with no luck. I'm hoping I can try my luck here (where there is no doubt plenty of English peeps) with somebody who can basically tell me straight up what the procedure is.

-Will she need to do a certain amount of hours before going for the license?
-How many tests are required to be done?
-Would she be able to get her license over there and then be able to come back and drive here in Australia?

Any help would really be appreciated, thanks!

superkingdave

Pretty sure you would have to be resident to get a UK driving license tbph. Then you could exchange it when you go back to Aus but from your situation it sounds like you would just be a visitor

superkingdave

if she was born there wont she be a citizen ?
Residency is a different thing to citizenship in any case, even if she is a citizen, you have to be a resident to hold a uk driving license.
If you want to take a British driving test you must be a resident in GB. However, if you have moved to GB having recently been a permanent resident in another state of the EC/EEA, you must be a resident in GB for 185 days in the 12 months before your application for a driving test and full licence.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022556

Last edited:

Howe_zat

If you're only going to be in the UK for a couple of months you can't get a license here, I'm afraid. You have to be a resident.

There's some info on driving in the UK with a foreign license here.