• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D Discussion - Ukraine, Sweden, France, England

Johnners

Rooney has to be in for Carrol surely? Welbeck's been Englands best player for the first 2 matches, and he plays his club football with Rooney. It's a no-brainer for mine

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Rooney has to be in for Carrol surely? Welbeck's been Englands best player for the first 2 matches, and he plays his club football with Rooney. It's a no-brainer for mine
Aye, can't see any other call, myself.

Would bring in the Ox for Young, who gave Cashley very little in the way of cover because he went looking for the ball so often, & Feo for Milner too.

I rate Young, but he's something of a luxury player and doesn't look up (ie selfish ****) enough. Can work as a #10, "second striker" kinda player, not sold as a winger tho.

Uppercut

Ferguson played him at #10 once, against Benfica, and he was terrible so he's only played him on the wing since.

I'd just go unchanged, apart from Rooney in for Carroll. Feo in for Milner would make more sense if they needed a win. There's no real reason to think Ox will provide better cover on the left than Young does. Or better anything, really. Bringing in Walcott and shifting Milner to the left might be an ok shout but I think the team's better the way it is.

grecian

My mate, who is a Manure supporter and was a tad drunk, started doing a rant about why Young had been dropped, midway through the first half, I let him go on for a while before mentioning he was playing and just anonymous :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ferguson played him at #10 once, against Benfica, and he was terrible so he's only played him on the wing since.

I'd just go unchanged, apart from Rooney in for Carroll. Feo in for Milner would make more sense if they needed a win. There's no real reason to think Ox will provide better cover on the left than Young does. Or better anything, really. Bringing in Walcott and shifting Milner to the left might be an ok shout but I think the team's better the way it is.
Ox gets up and down far more than Young; it's why he's spoken of as a serious CM option. Plus he's faster and stronger too. That's why he'd provide more cover.

Uppercut

It'd just be very strange to pick an 18 year old winger with remarkably little top-level experience for his ability to keep his discipline and carry out defensive duties. It's surely not what Hodgson had in mind when he included him in the squad.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It'd just be very strange to pick an 18 year old winger with remarkably little top-level experience for his ability to keep his discipline and carry out defensive duties. It's surely not what Hodgson had in mind when he included him in the squad.
Probably not, no. But one cuts one's cloth, etc.

It wouldn't necessarily be a defensive move either. Young might give a few more lollipops and feints, but Ox-C runs at players more.

However he plays for United, Young looks better as an axiliary striker for England. Played well in the role against Norway and France.

grecian

Because he's ****
He's a ****, not ****, but being massively over-hyped by some. Walcott and Young comfortably better, and probably ox if he played on the wing. Obviously rather have him than Downing, or Hendersen, and still don't see the point of Jones or Kelly, different position, but they're all waste of squad places.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We always seem to waste a few squad places. I remember Jermain Jenas going to at least one and obviously there's the case of Theo in 06.

grecian

We always seem to waste a few squad places. I remember Jermain Jenas going to at least one and obviously there's the case of Theo in 06.
Ye see, I thought feo wasn't that terrible a pick, after all he had real pace, and oppo players may have not known how to play him. The problem was he didn't use him.

I think my main hate is utility players, 20 outfield players in a squad, a lot of them can play another position other than their main one, you really don't need a bloke who is not that good in about three positions. Yes I am talking about you Phil Jones, or Hendersen who is good in no positions.

Both this squad and Sven's in 06 have an abundance of nothing players, and only about 4 strikers, when you'd think too change the game you'd need more. You need to change it from the bench if losing.

Ferdinand going in '98 instead of Gazza, Rio wasn't really a player then and Gascoine, for whatever his faults was a game-changer, was a particular waste. as brumbers said.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Rio in 98 too; 90% sure he didn't play a minute. Gazza being left out obviously the big talking point there.

Actually the brief run he got against France was Walcott's tournament debut, I think. Didn't play in 2006 & wasn't even in the squad for 2010.

Scaly piscine

Nothing wrong with picking Theo as a late substitute option back then.

If you're going to mention players with respect to wasted squad places you really need to mention the one and only frog in a blender - Shaun Wright-Phillips. With apologies to frogs who probably have better ball control. He was like Young in the last 45 minutes the other night, except with physical disabilities thrown in.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah regarding Theo I was mainly referring to the fact he clearly wasn't prepared to use him. Should have played against Sweden when we were already through, especially once Owen got crocked. Always wondered what Sven would have done had we beat Portugal as there were only Theo and Crouch left to play up front. Probably would have had Gerrard play second striker. Was afraid to pick Theo.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Rio in 98 too; 90% sure he didn't play a minute. Gazza being left out obviously the big talking point there.
Leaving Gascoigne out was absolutely the correct call from Hoddle. He hadn't kicked his own arse for the 18 months prior to the tournament and he was nothing more than a washed up boozebag by the time the World Cup rolled around.