• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How much longer will DF survive as Indian coach?

ganeshran

If there is a review of the defeat, then the first casualty would be Fletcher who is the easiest to take down.

But any serious changes would have to start with the immediate retirements of VVS and Dravid. Also SRT should be asked to disclose his plans and retire in 2012 end. A new batsman in his place should hopefully be able to cement his place by the next overseas tour starts in 2013 end. The batting stocks look poor unless Pujara comes back.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can't wait for the new edition of his autobiography. Fletch has never done anything wrong ever and any reverses he's suffered are part of a personal vendetta someone holds against him.

SeamUp

I thought it was poor decision when India brought him on. He said he loved his time being batting consultant for South Africa because he was out of the limelight and he also enjoyed living in the country in South Africa away from major cities.

He had achieved all he could have in his time with WP, Glamorgan and England and I think his time was definitely up.

When was the last time India and Sri Lanka went for a local coach?

In answer to the question, after the SRL game most probably.

Last edited:

Shri

Haha looks more like Kirsten wanted him out of his SA plans and so suggested his name to the board when they were looking for someone to replace him.:laugh:

Arjun

I give him three weeks.
Ease him out, sooner than later. Within three weeks. Let the parting be amicable, not controversial.
If there is a review of the defeat, then the first casualty would be Fletcher who is the easiest to take down.

But any serious changes would have to start with the immediate retirements of VVS and Dravid. Also SRT should be asked to disclose his plans and retire in 2012 end. A new batsman in his place should hopefully be able to cement his place by the next overseas tour starts in 2013 end. The batting stocks look poor unless Pujara comes back.
I wouldn't, under any circumstances, retire VVS and Dravid. They're now more relevant with the poor form and vulnerability of the younger players. If you can't trust Kohli, Raina and Rohit in ODIs, why Tests? The bowling needs a rework, and we'd like run-scoring bowlers picked in groups to strengthen the team all round.
I thought it was poor decision when India brought him on. He said he loved his time being batting consultant for South Africa because he was out of the limelight and he also enjoyed living in the country in South Africa away from major cities.

He had achieved all he could have in his time with WP, Glamorgan and England and I think his time was definitely up.

When was the last time India and Sri Lanka went for a local coach?
Poor decision indeed. Kapil Dev asked out loud who DF really is and why him, while Gavaskar said Jimmy Amarnath, the comeback king, would be a good coach (although his regionalistic bent in comments were taken out of proportion). Fletcher was out of date. The successful coaches were recently retired players- Andy Flower and Gary Kirsten at the international level, and Stephen Fleming at club level.

India should go in for a local coach, from one of their more recent teams. These people know the scene well, and are up to date about what's needed at the international level. I'm not optimistic of Ganguly as coach, as his technical committee shot down Akash Chopra's recommendations for an overhaul of the domestic scene, and voted to continue the failed model currently running. Kumble or Dravid would be really good.

There's a stereotype that an Indian coach will fall prey to regional bias, which is outright laughable in some cases. Those contenders are mere office-bearers, average players from way back, and they hail from lesser state associations. Kumble and Dravid are hardly that type.

A little less local an option is Chaminda Vaas. He's still an active cricketer, but as an India coach, he has a shout.

fredfertang

Can't wait for the new edition of his autobiography. Fletch has never done anything wrong ever and any reverses he's suffered are part of a personal vendetta someone holds against him.
but, to their credit, they generally apologise to him afterwards ............