• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How should I have reacted?

Manee

I'd love to know CW's reactions to an interesting anecdote about a driving instructor that I had last year (have a new one now as he moved on to teaching only automatic cars).

Apologies for not knowing the technical terms but the instructor was a muslim man who wore the traditional muslim attire with the full beard, like robey thing and the head gear. I don't have a problem with that. However, during lessons, we used to stop off at the Mosque and he'd go in while I'd wait in the car and this would last about 30 minutes. I'm not sure if you can imagine being a Sikh looking boy in a Mosque carpark, but it terrified me - but perhaps I was being overly fearful - I did think it was odd for this to happen in every driving lesson though. We'd make up the time and so a 2 hour lesson would end up taking 2 and a half hours, which was okay.

Later on, we used to drive further down for one hour before stopping at a farm carpark (I think that is what it was) and he'd say "I need to get something" and disappear for 45-50 minutes. The first time it happened, my overactive imagination did think the car was going to blow up, but alas, I guess I'm inherently racist, or something. Later, I went looking for him in the woodsy part and caught a glimse of him praying (I think) with like a cooking pot type thing. He'd later explain before going that he was going to pray. However, the length of time this took meant that lessons are now taking 3 hours. This carried on until he stopped being my instructor. Should I have said something? Or should I have written a complaint to the company? I'm unsure.

Another interesting sight was once, when pulling out of the carpark and been driving for about 30 seconds, I pulled over to let someone through the narrow road and the instructor said to himself "I wonder who he is", asked me to stop and ran after this car (which was quite a funny sight in his attire) to the farm car park, presumably to talk to the guy.

Anyway, in hindsight, this was very weird indeed, how would you have reacted to this?

Smudge

You should definitely be making a complaint to the company. His religious beliefs should not be impacting something like a driving lesson, let alone stopping for half an hour and leaving you in the car. Unless you were pre-warned of that, I'd be extremely peeved off.

Fusion

Global Moderator
You should definitely be making a complaint to the company. His religious beliefs should not be impacting something like a driving lesson, let alone stopping for half an hour and leaving you in the car. Unless you were pre-warned of that, I'd be extremely peeved off.
This.

Adamc

Haha wtf. That's ridiculous. Should've just called the company after your first lesson and asked for your money back. If he disappeared for half an hour to do his grocery shopping would you have to think twice about getting a new instructor?

pasag

RTDAS
Haha is your driving instructor Kramer by any chance?

Anyways, still time to make a complaint, esp to save any other poor kids currently going through the same thing.

Robertinho

Haha, this is ridiculous. What's more puzzling is why you actually consented and waited in the car the whole time...

Manee

I was more astonished that this would happen - more in a state of shock than anything else. The mosque was understandable but going into the woods was just extraordinary.

Manee

eH, Uppercut? I just didn't know what the appropriate thing to do, was. Generally in life, I also don't like to create too much of a fuss either, though in hindsight, it would have probably been suitable to kick up a bit of a hassle.

G.I.Joe

My driving instructor asked me first off whether I was planning on buying a car second hand, and then proceeded to take me along a route (during my first lesson) where he 'knew' a place that had good deals on used cars. It was so obvious and cringeworthy more than anything else.

Shri

Heh, driving lessons. Should move it to the Un-manly things thread. Just hop on in a friend's car and ask him to teach you ffs. Or take your parents' car and learn it yourself. Make mistakes, get some dents in the car, get your ass kicked at home and you will learn not to make mistakes pretty fast.:p

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Heh, driving lessons. Should move it to the Un-manly things thread. Just hop on in a friend's car and ask him to teach you ffs. Or take your parents' car and learn it yourself. Make mistakes, get some dents in the car, get your ass kicked at home and you will learn not to make mistakes pretty fast.:p
No wonder the traffic in India is other worldly.