• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jogging/running

flibbertyjibber

long term knee injuries aren't a myth at all.
I knackered my cruciate nearly 20 years ago playing cricket and it is safe to say I can't go running even if I wanted to. I have spells of a month a couple of times a year where it swells up to 2 or 3 times the size of the other one and I have been told just to accept it. I limit my sport to crown green bowls these days and even that is a struggle some nights. Quite glad we aren't able to play this year as have had real trouble with it of late.

You stuff your knee up and you will always have an issue. It never clears up totally.

Daemon

I’m genuinely worried about all this. I’ve got creaky knees and a ****ed back from NS and I’m only 27.

flibbertyjibber

Had 2nd op on my knee at 27 and still ****ed now. Only advice I can give is you will know how to deal with it and soon find your limits and to stick by them. Overdo things when you think all is good and you regret it.

Uppercut

I’m genuinely worried about all this. I’ve got creaky knees and a ****ed back from NS and I’m only 27.
You seen a physio? Creaky knees are usually easy enough to manage if you start managing them while they're still just creaky.

Everyone over 25 has a ****ed back. God presumably thought it'd be funny to make us this way.

Uppercut

Knee pain from running is usually from not starting gradually enough. Very easily done because you only find out you've gone past your limit a day later.

flibbertyjibber

You seen a physio? Creaky knees are usually easy enough to manage if you start managing them while they're still just creaky.

Everyone over 25 has a ****ed back. God presumably thought it'd be funny to make us this way.
I am wrong side of 40 and back is fine. Knee is ****ed but back is fine.

Awaits doing back in next week after saying that.

zorax

likes this
my knees were bad for a while, but i did physiotherapy and worked on improving running technique. Now I have no issues. I don't really go on long runs anymore, but i do cricket, mma, yoga, sometimes lift weights. no issues atm.

back's fine for now as well. my deadlift PR is terrible but that's because I'm way too scared of doing it wrong and hurting myself. I try to do as much stretching and yoga as I can keep to keep it loose.

Daemon

Nope, never seen one for the knees.

Back is just ****ed from running around up and down stairs etc with 20-30kg of equipment day in and day out when I was only like 60kg. Towards the end I learned more about working out and eating more but by then the damage was done.

zorax

likes this
Nope, never seen one for the knees.

Back is just ****ed from running around up and down stairs etc with 20-30kg of equipment day in and day out when I was only like 60kg. Towards the end I learned more about working out and eating more but by then the damage was done.
Sounds awful. Was that a training drill or part of your daily routine in NS?

Daemon

It was during the training period of 6 months.

Schedule used to be something like:

5:15 assemble below the unit and slow jog to the parade square
5:30 morning exercise
6:00 breakfast
7:00 assemble below unit
7-12 drills
12:00 lunch
1:00-5:30 drills
5:30 dinner
6-9 free time
9:00 roll call
10 lights out

I'd say maybe 60% of drills involved donning the full gear and running around with heavy equipment. Ofc there's obviously a lot of waiting around at times, theory lessons etc. But they'd find ways to **** you during that too. Nodding off? Everyone outside the training shed for push ups. Boots not done up properly? Go for a run around the complex. Moving too slow? Push ups. Not in sync? Push ups. Squad not doing push ups properly? Restart from zero. You'd end up in a puddle of your own sweat at least a few times a day. Wild times.

Daemon

there's inevitably a bit of a chad culture in this sort of environment, so some of the guys who can't fit in or are always dragging everyone down get bullied a lot.

Uppercut

I had a couple of runs that I really enjoyed, but it only makes it harder to go back to the protracted-suffering sessions. I’m up to 5k in 26 minutes or so but starting to feel it in the knees.

Kirkut

Too much running isn't healthy, it spikes cortisol levels which consumes muscles. In the past people ran to avoid danger or as a response to a high adrenaline situation, running as a leisure activity is a recent thing.

Burgey

A lot of these aches and pains from running can be cured by a visit to a suitably accommodating massage establishment.