• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jogging/running

vcs

I need to do a 100 km walk next month. Any shoe recommendations?
Just finished this. Took around 28 and a half hours without a wink of sleep. Everything hurts like hell.

Last edited:

Bijed

Just finished this. Took around 28 and a half hours without a wink of sleep. Everything hurts like hell.
That's fantastic :)

How do you keep yourself going for that long?I can't even conceive it tbh

vcs

That's fantastic :)

How do you keep yourself going for that long?I can't even conceive it tbh
Haha we were 4 members in a team. No way I could have done it on my own. Last 40 km or so is torture and you only keep going through sheer willpower, and getting some physio and stretching done at every checkpoint. I have a new level of respect for ultra marathoners. I'd only ever done around 35 in a single stretch before this event in practice and figured that it was just a matter of carrying on.. not true. It completely stops being "fun" halfway in and you have to ignore the sleep, hunger, aches and pains and keep going.

Days of Grace

I started running around the block. I used to run on the treadmill at my gym but quit my membership when I moved.

What I have found is 30 minutes on the treadmill is equivalent to 10 minutes on the road because **** me it doesn’t half impact your joints if you’re not used to it.

May try to find a local pool instead.

Burgey

I mean, nothing wrong with a morning constitutional or a jog, but they invented the internal combustion engine for a reason.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I started running around the block. I used to run on the treadmill at my gym but quit my membership when I moved.

What I have found is 30 minutes on the treadmill is equivalent to 10 minutes on the road because **** me it doesn’t half impact your joints if you’re not used to it.

May try to find a local pool instead.
I went the other way, in effect. I started running in the evening after uni just along the road from where I lived and found it too be too variable to be comfortable - often changing between path and road between residential blocks. Plus, Dunedin was ****ing freezing 70% of the time, I had frost to contend with some nights, and after skidding a few times, I decided a free gym service available to students was a more preferable experience.

I've also found a high incline walk is just as good for you as a low incline run - builds your muscles too, from what I can gather.

Last edited:

vcs

Why did you do it? Were you going somewhere and no transport was available?
It was held by an NGO to raise funds, and many companies here encourage their employees to sign up for stuff like this for fitness etc. Was good fun to get to know people who I see in office all the time but have never actually spent much time with.

Burgey

Why don't you go out for lunch and make a donation while you're there ffs? This all sounds very tiring. I feel that you must rest. You must ressssssssst my dear. Resssst.

hendrix

Was that 100k walk with Oxfam? Had an ex do that a few years ago. Such a mental game - the first time she did it was horrible because there was a whingeing whinger in her group but the next year was much more bearable.

Also, I kinda think the opposite re: the rub downs - the more stretching and massage and physio they got done at each checkpoint the less they were inclined to carry on. I basically put an end to it the second time round which was kinda cruel I guess but they got through much better delaying the massages until after they finished.

vcs

Was that 100k walk with Oxfam? Had an ex do that a few years ago. Such a mental game - the first time she did it was horrible because there was a whingeing whinger in her group but the next year was much more bearable.

Also, I kinda think the opposite re: the rub downs - the more stretching and massage and physio they got done at each checkpoint the less they were inclined to carry on. I basically put an end to it the second time round which was kinda cruel I guess but they got through much better delaying the massages until after they finished.
Yes.

I found the massages helped me get through the first 4-5 out of the 9-10 km distance between checkpoints relatively painlessly (after crossing 50 that is, didn't really need it upto that point).

What time did you guys finish in?

hendrix

Yes.

I found the massages helped me get through the first 4-5 out of the 9-10 km distance between checkpoints relatively painlessly (after crossing 50 that is, didn't really need it upto that point).

What time did you guys finish in?
I didn't do it myself, was just the support crew for my gf at the time.
This was a few year ago. I think the first one was damn near 40 hours or something and the next year they did it in around 29 or something. Whatever it was was much quicker.

Bijed

Been really trying to push myself with my running during lockdown, earlier got my 5k PB down to 21:43. I've improved my 10k times too although not by the same margin and honestly don't have the motivation for anything longer than that.

Daemon

Been really trying to push myself with my running during lockdown, earlier got my 5k PB down to 21:43. I've improved my 10k times too although not by the same margin and honestly don't have the motivation for anything longer than that.
Your knees will thank you for it

Good timings btw

zorax

likes this
long term knee injury is a myth isn't it? My brother in law runs ultramarathons in his 40s and he's fine - claims it's all about running technique, building adequate leg strength, having the correct footwear.

furball to comment

Daemon

long term knee injury is a myth isn't it? My brother in law runs ultramarathons in his 40s and he's fine - claims it's all about running technique, building adequate leg strength, having the correct footwear.

furball to comment
Quick google says you’re right. Should stop listening to the anti cardio bb.com brigade tbh.