• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jogging/running

Line and Length

I was a sprinter, not a distance runner. I used to object to the long runs a coach wanted us to put in after cricket training. I pointed out I'd been bowling off a long run-up for an hour to give batsmen a workout in the nets. They'd go off to the slips machine after their stint but I'd keep running in for the next man. I pointed out I'd done more running than anyone at training and should be excused from jogging laps. It didn't work!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
long term knee injury is a myth isn't it? My brother in law runs ultramarathons in his 40s and he's fine - claims it's all about running technique, building adequate leg strength, having the correct footwear.

furball to comment
Lol

Anyway, ran a total of 81k in May, quite pleased with that

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I've basically used lockdown to convert what would ordinarily be my commuting time into extra sleep/exercise time over the last couple of months.The benefits of not having any kids oflr real responsibilities I guess. Generally do about 3.5k every day, though some days I just cbf. Don't do it particularly fast or anything (takes me about 19 mins), but has definitely made a difference.

Uppercut

That’s not slow either, especially for a long fella. Do you enjoy it?

I’ve just started running again post-surgery. It’ll be a while before I could do 3.5k in 19 minutes.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
That’s not slow either, especially for a long fella. Do you enjoy it?

I’ve just started running again post-surgery. It’ll be a while before I could do 3.5k in 19 minutes.
Haha I don't enjoy it especially tbh, but I always feel so much better having done it. The first 1.5 is always the worst, but I think that's partially because it's mostly uphill on the route I do

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Haha I don't enjoy it especially tbh, but I always feel so much better having done it. The first 1.5 is always the worst, but I think that's partially because it's mostly uphill on the route I do
Seems like you've got the good protestant ethic in :ph34r:

I run 7km at my old pace and then my heart and lungs give out and i'm like **** this. then i get bored for a week. bad cycle.

The athletics club has restarted training so I'm trying to catch up with them on Wednesday

Uppercut

I don’t enjoy it at all either at the moment, and I don’t get an especially strong glow afterwards either. But I do really look forward to running, for some reason. It’s kind of like watching United, every time I’m done my brain immediately forgets that it’s mostly just very painful.

Bijed

I don’t enjoy it at all either at the moment, and I don’t get an especially strong glow afterwards either. But I do really look forward to running, for some reason. It’s kind of like watching United, every time I’m done my brain immediately forgets that it’s mostly just very painful.
Haha, this so much. Every time I go out, I end up thinking "Was it always this unpleasant?"

Daemon

I’ve just been doing all the various 20min HIIT workouts people are posting on YT.

Nike and Pamela Reif have some good ones that destroy you in a good way.

vcs

Running (and exercise in general) is one of those unpleasant things you have to trick your mind into pretending to like because the long term rewards make it worth it. Personally, I find myself to be in a much better mental space when I'm getting decent exercise on a regular basis.

zorax

likes this
Running (and exercise in general) is one of those unpleasant things you have to trick your mind into pretending to like because the long term rewards make it worth it. Personally, I find myself to be in a much better mental space when I'm getting decent exercise on a regular basis.
i actually really enjoy running. But that's only if I can run through my neighborhood. I hate running tracks, I need the constantly changing scenery and the sense of exploration and adventure.

The problem is, in HK, the streets are packed full of people, so the only time it's nice to head out is late at night - after 11pm on a weeknight, after midnight on a weekend. It's really nice at that time. it's more peaceful, less pollution, less people in your way or watching you run, no sun burning down on you. Music in your ears. I enjoy it immensely.

vcs

Yeah, music's great while running (as long as the Bluetooth thing actually ****ing works, otherwise it's bloody annoying fiddling about with it while trying to run at the same time)

smalishah84

The Tiger King
I used to enjoy running in the park back in the day. Use an elliptical now when the kids and work permit.

Weather here in the great white north is also not conducive to outdoor running for about 6 months of the year, but the other 6 months are just gorgeous.

It helps that I live right on the top of the hill that overlooks the city and one gets beautiful views of the city, a great green expanse, and Lake Ontario. The weather is beautiful and walking is such a pleasure. Would love to start running again but looks like its getting harder with my knees.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, music's great while running (as long as the Bluetooth thing actually ****ing works, otherwise it's bloody annoying fiddling about with it while trying to run at the same time)
I actually really dislike music when running, makes me feel nauseous and ruins my pacing