• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Neil Armstrong, 1st man on the moon dies

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If we ever get to a point where we are living again on a planet where no man has walked on the moon, I'm going to be pissed. It's being present for the beginning of the dark ages.

Gelmatron

Now we are one man short of knowing whether the moon landings were true or the biggest hoax of all times. Condolences.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I've been asked if I would take a one way ticket to the moon or mars, and the answer would be an unequivocal yes.

The spirit of exploration, and finding and doing something that no one has done or found before is at the very core of what being a human is. If we lose that, we might as well go extinct as a species. There's a reason the Dark Ages are named as such. Neil Armstrong was just one man who got to do what he did on the backs of millions of people, scientists, engineers, politicians and others. But he represented the antithesis of the dark ages. We went to the moon for many reasons (most of which were not 'pure' exploration reasons), but nonetheless he represented everything that is great about human progress, pushing the limits, and being setting the standard for everyone to aspire to. I know so many people who went into science and engineering (even the biological sciences) because of what they saw on that day.

Neil, because of you, and others like you, the whole world collectively experienced the most important emotion that exists, a sense of awe and wonder. For as long as humankind exists, your name will be spoken of in the highest regard. Schoolchildren will learn it for as long as schools exist, and they will dream to be the next Neil Armstrong. Thank you for that hope, for providing us an ideal that all of us aspire to.

I am actually a little bit emotional right now, which I find very odd because even when someone like Arthur C Clarke (my favorite author) or Carl Sagan (though I was young) I never felt emotional (though I did feel sad).

Rest in Peace. I hope we as a species can live up to your legacy.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Bloody hell. Ah well, Market Forces will get us back to the moon. Private industry will be in the vanguard of the next great exploration cycle. I'm not quite sure why, but apparently it is the case.
The problem is the prohibitive cost. Physics doesn't lie, and the fuel required is the fuel required. That's why the government has to bear the cost. Sure, we may have low earth orbit flights soon, but true space exploration will always be done by the government unless we come up with a radically new method of transport into space (e.g space elevator). Unfortunately, that's still a little beyond us at the moment and will require a bit of a breakthrough in materials engineering.

I hope I'm wrong of course, but I hated the space shuttle. The Saturn V was the biggest rocket in the history of mankind, and there is nothing on the drawing board to replace it. The Space Shuttle was fine for low earth orbit crap (wasn't nearly powerful enough to go much farther), and I suppose its better than nothing, but we need true deep space exploration. It's sad that it has been 40 years since a human being has escaped low earth orbit. It's been that long since we've even had the capability to escape low earth orbit. Hoping for a space race soon.

The future of humanity can't possibly be on this one rock, if it's to have a future at all.

HeathDavisSpeed

The problem is the prohibitive cost. Physics doesn't lie, and the fuel required is the fuel required. That's why the government has to bear the cost. Sure, we may have low earth orbit flights soon, but true space exploration will always be done by the government unless we come up with a radically new method of transport into space (e.g space elevator). Unfortunately, that's still a little beyond us at the moment and will require a bit of a breakthrough in materials engineering.
I agree with this. My post was a facetious and cynical nudge at the current position of Western governments with regards to space exploration.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
An All Time Legend for sure. What words he uttered "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"

Am so sad to hear of this. He has taken a leap into the realm from where mankind does not return.

RIP :(:(:(

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Going into space and going to the moon are completely different levels. We don't even have a rocket that can get us there at this point. You'd need many tens of billions of dollars to go to the moon, unlike low earth orbit, which while not cheap, pales in comparison to going to the moon.

There are indeed millions of people willing (like me), and tens of thousands of people with the skillset (very unlike me) to be an astronaut or to be the engineers. It's a matter of $$ that's the roadblock.

Last edited:

blahblahblah

and the most sad part is most of my friends are confusing him with lance armstrong

**** their general knowledge, stupid ****s