• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key Resigns

_Ed_

Basically, anyone would be better than Collins or dildo-face Joyce. I was relieved to hear that Joyce isn't in the running.

HeathDavisSpeed

None of them have the nous and ability to read the electorate that Key has. English or Bennett would be the ones better placed to do that, though I don't know much about Coleman. Collins or Joyce are far too ideologically driven - and I suspect English still has a good dose of that - to be as much of a pragmatist as Key. I think they'd all win the next election, but Collins would stand the best chance of losing it.

_Ed_

He's been minister of health and broadcasting, and he was my local MP when I was living on the North Shore. I thought he was okay at first, but over time he started talking more and more like John Key. "Look, at the end of the day..."

He also got punched in the face at a U2 concert. He was smoking a cigar in a no-smoking area, then blew smoke in the face of someone who asked him to stop. A real winner.

Bahnz

I wouldn't mind English - he's done a perfectly serviceable job as MOF - if it wasn't for the fact that I have it on very good authority that he's a climate change skeptic. Also, he'd have to stand down as MOF if he became PM which would likely end up with Joyce sliding into his place, something I'm not so keen on. Still reckon that if the National caucus has any brains they'll promote him in a night watchman capacity and keep the knives in the drawer until after the election.

Flem274*

123/5
how is paula bennett even being considered? she's a literal giggling idiot

labour royally screwed themselves with the new leadership process. little is a spud who couldn't even beat the jesus lover jonathan young for his seat.

robertson/adern (either one for PM) should be the ticket for next year.

not really sure who i'd want from national as next potential PM tbh. key was shielding a lot of spuds.

Zinzan

NZ politics, yawn, compared to the razzle dazzle of the American stuff. But I suppose I should pay tribute to Key. Decent knock.

16 tins of Spam

A quality article here sums up the John Key era pretty nicely for me.

TL;DR: JK didn't achieve much except convince the public that everything is fine and facts don't matter.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Wrong thread for it unless you think it had anything to do with Key resigning.
What thread do we use? And it's entirely possible that this could've prompted his resignation, though I think it would be something like 15% chance, or minorly influenced it.

Bahnz

Chuck this in the NZ election 2017 thread, it's more relevant there. Really hugely doubt that this had anything to do with Key's retirement.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Chuck this in the NZ election 2017 thread, it's more relevant there. Really hugely doubt that this had anything to do with Key's retirement.
What has it got to do with the election, though? Key isn't running for re-election.

I looked for the New Zealand politics thread but search returned nowt.

Flem274*

123/5
Nicky Hager is too fluffy for my tastes and his opposition to GE pisses me off, the git, but I do love how he gets a significant proportion of facebook foaming at the mouth with indignant typically NZ ultra-conservative "don't rock the boat eat a steak you gay" rage.

He's just the best, but sadly his influence on the population will always be little because of his open Green Party fanboyism and general idealism. But it's good to have some muck raked up every few years to keep our leaders nervous.