• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key Resigns

Athlai

Not Terrible
Guess Guptill being dropped from the Black Caps Test squad and then that loss last night was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Bahnz

A uniquely effective politician, regardless of your political leanings. At the very least this will inject a bit of life into what would've otherwise been another snoozer of an election in 2017.

_Ed_

I often strongly disagreed with him, and I was a bit uneasy about the cult of personality that surrounded him in the National Party (aka #teamKey), but kudos to him. Eight years of service is no mean feat, and he did an impressive job of keeping most of the NZ public on his side all the way through. Not many politicians have achieved that.

HeathDavisSpeed

Good.

The crowd of cretins and half-wits that have stood behind him will presumably spend the next fortnight knifing each other. Really opens up the election. Andrew Little isn't exactly Mr. Charisma, but he'll positively shine compared to some of the National candidates.

Great news for Winston Peters too, you'd think.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ah Winston, a guy I absolutely think serves a place in parliament and one I become increasingly nervous about at the thought he may actually get proper power.

Bahnz

Ah Winston, a guy I absolutely think serves a place in parliament and one I become increasingly nervous about at the thought he may actually get proper power.
By all accounts he was perfectly reasonable during his stint as Minister of Foreign Affairs. Nearly charmed the pants off Condi during his visit to the White House.

Bahnz

Good.

The crowd of cretins and half-wits that have stood behind him will presumably spend the next fortnight knifing each other. Really opens up the election. Andrew Little isn't exactly Mr. Charisma, but he'll positively shine compared to some of the National candidates.

Great news for Winston Peters too, you'd think.
Maybe, though that's assuming that National haven't had this planned for some time now. Could be that everyone's agreed that it'll be English until after the election. Though the suddenness of this makes it seem highly possible that this has caught the party on the hop too.

And then there's the possibility that some of the senior hopefuls in the Labour camp who may have been bidding their time with Key in charge will suddenly make a play for the leadership. It's gonna be a fun 6 months.

Last edited:

_Ed_

And then there's the possibility that some of the senior hopefuls in the Labour camp who may have been bidding their time with Key in charge will suddenly make a play for the leadership.
I really hope so. I've never been convinced by Little and struggle to see him winning an election. Jacinda Ardern, on the other hand, is impressive.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I really hope so. I've never been convinced by Little and struggle to see him winning an election. Jacinda Ardern, on the other hand, is impressive.
Thought the David's and Little have all been disasters really.

straw man

Don't feel like I've ever quite had a handle on Key, seeing as his time as PM more-or-less coincides with me being out of the country and only back sporadically. General impression is that he's been fairly centrist, though typically to the advantage of National's usual constituency, that he puts on a good show of competency and is respected internationally, and that relative to much of the world he's provided comparably great stability.

However as far as the substance of actual achievements, major policies and why he's so vehemently disliked by some, I don't have a great grasp.

_Ed_

Thought the David's and Little have all been disasters really.
It all happened too soon for Shearer. I think he'd be much better now. But it went so badly for him the first time around that I don't think he'd want or get a second shot at it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It all happened too soon for Shearer. I think he'd be much better now. But it went so badly for him the first time around that I don't think he'd want or get a second shot at it.
Yeah I like Shearer as a bloke but he died a death when given the ball.

HeathDavisSpeed

Don't feel like I've ever quite had a handle on Key, seeing as his time as PM more-or-less coincides with me being out of the country and only back sporadically. General impression is that he's been fairly centrist, though typically to the advantage of National's usual constituency, that he puts on a good show of competency and is respected internationally, and that relative to much of the world he's provided comparably great stability.
It's easy to forget that a lot of the reason that NZ performed so well economically during the GFC is that Michael Cullen left the National government with a really tightly run, low deficit budget. In fact, English has pretty much been steady as she goes in overall economic management (notwithstanding asset sell-offs and election year lolly scrambles).

Bahnz

It's easy to forget that a lot of the reason that NZ performed so well economically during the GFC is that Michael Cullen left the National government with a really tightly run, low deficit budget. In fact, English has pretty much been steady as she goes in overall economic management (notwithstanding asset sell-offs and election year lolly scrambles).
Yeah National has had a lot of leeway to both reduce taxes and avoid the kind of public spending cuts that have proved so damaging to the UK economy. The Clarke government probably left New Zealand as well placed as any country in the world to weather the financial storm.

_Ed_

What does everyone think of Key's potential successors? English seems to be the far the likeliest, and IMO he's the most tolerable option in an otherwise thoroughly detestable bunch.