• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2018

S.Kennedy

My pick is Lanky who have strengthened themselves (at Durham's expense), and have Hameed now returning into a bit of form. There is Liam Livingstone and Chanderpaul on a kolpak. Their batting is certainly full of depth, and if Jenning's replicates his 2016 form it will look unstoppable. Their bowling is a bit weaker though but still impressive; Mennie seems a decent signing and Mahmood is one to watch - they'll be hoping to get Jimmy for a few games also (and keep Onions off the treatment table).

Wouldn't rule out Surrey's attempt to purchase the championship actually paying off this time (rumours of Morkel kolpak deal, Kohli). With Essex it is more a case of it being too difficult to repeat the trick, although Yorkshire pulled it off 2014-15. I think there will be a bit of falling away, especially without Silverwood but if Harmer-Porter replicate anything like the season they had in 2017, they'll be contenders.

I see it like this,

Lancashire
Surrey
Essex
Hampshire (Kyle Abbot!)

The rest of them you can probably forget about.

S.Kennedy

The Irish bowling has not been that good on a green wicket. Don't know why they don't bowl Barry McCarthy more.

SeamUp

Kuhn's mini test career didn't look great at face value but conditions weren't easy.

He has been a monster domestically in SA for ages and to me was better than he showed.

First game for Kent 100 (120) and still going.

SeamUp

Seemingly Somerset play a four-day friendly against Ireland starting tomorrow, covered by the Beeb (BBC Somerset),
I just wonder how much these guys will be away from their counties in build up to their internationals and test. Stirling, Niall, Wilson, McCarthy , Rankin and Murtagh mainly.

SeamUp

reckon stirling will get the nod over franklin.

then rayner (wrongly) over probably helm. patel should be invested in now over rayner but ollie will play due to his superior batting and slip catching.

morgan is injured and not getting near the team regardless. blokes returns in the 4 day game have been poor in recent years.

excited to see if barber can push through. not sure how long murtagh has long left and finns sub standard showings can only be put up with for so much longer.
Middlesex squad vs Durham MCCU

Robson (c)
Holden
Eskinazi
Cartwright
Scott
White
Simpson (wk)
Rayner
Roland-Jones
Helm
Barber
Harris
Murtagh

S.Kennedy

Ireland have bowled some dross here, wide legsided rubbish.

I just wonder how much these guys will be away from their counties in build up to their internationals and test. Stirling, Niall, Wilson, McCarthy , Rankin and Murtagh mainly.
They'll be technically overseas players soon (I think there is an amnesty period) which does raise an interesting conundrum for the counties about using up their one overseas slot on their Irish player when the period ends.

superkingdave

Supposdely Lancs have gone with Jennings & Hameed opening with Davies at no.3. No Livingstone, Chanders or Mennie for teh Uni game. Good to see Parkinson get the nod as the sole spinner, hoping for a big year from him.

S.Kennedy

Ireland will get a thorough pasting if they play like this against Pakistan: they've been bowling absolute garbage, leg-sided crap and full-tosses. In the same match, two masterpieces from Trescothick and Byrom also, who ironically holds an Irish passport, in among the runs.

S.Kennedy

Right thing to make Hameed captain ?

Your boys are announcing a signing first thing in the morning. Mustard returning home ?
Perhaps as he didn't want to leave but I also know Durham are on the look out for an overseas Twenty20 signing - they've never had one in years because of the cash problems. If Mustard, Mustard could sill do a good stint for the limited-overs teams, especially the Twenty20 side, and maybe act as cover for the championship side when needed.

S.Kennedy

Axar Patel is a bit surprising. Seems a good player; in fact his first-class returns for an all-rounder are excellent, albeit from only 23 matches: 48.45 bat and 79@30.37 with his left hand orthodox. We seem however a bit stacked with bowlers and all-rounders and a bit light on batting, especially openers (this confirms Latham will miss the final five county championship matches).

Durham's overseas are a confusing picture,

Markram: first four championship matches
Latham: 50 over campaign, middle four championship matches (I'm not sure about the Twenty20)
A. Patel: final six championship matches

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

Minus the three contracted test internationals (Stokes, Wood and Barry McCarthy) I think this will resemble Durham‘s first choice team,

Markram/Latham
Cameron Steel
Will Smith
Graham Clark
Colly*
Richardson+
Pringle
Weighell
Carse
Rimmington
Rushworth

Bit all-rounder/bowler heavy maybe but there is only really Poynter and the untried Gareth Harte to strengthen the batting, and Weighell was averaging 40 with the bat last season. If McCarthy doesn't play, Potts would be first-choice replacement for the seamers.

Axar Patel will probably replace Pringle if Pringle is having his usual sort of season.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Axar Patel is a bit surprising. Seems a good player; in fact his first-class returns for an all-rounder are excellent, albeit from only 23 matches: 48.45 bat and 79@30.37 with his left hand orthodox.
I think one will find that his batting technique is not quite up there with his average.