• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in New Zealand 2019

Flem274*

123/5
i suspect seifert is at his best when the situation calls for more orthodoxy. his white ball records are a bit **** and i suspect it's a case of 'aggressive batsman hasn't worked out how to construct white ball innings'. fast scorer =/= automatically good at white ball cricket. compare the game a few days ago where he got too cute and reverse swept onto his own poles to his boundaries opening the batting in red ball cricket this season - chalk and cheese.

he'll get there, especially if he stops mucking around with the gloves and focuses on his batting, but he's a project atm. international t20 is tougher by far than franchise trash (see the career of ish sodhi etc) but it's still meaningless and useful to get players into the black caps setup.

Last edited:

Bijed

wagner's looking a lot better in this game too which is promising. took the new ball as well and took some rare pitched up wickets!
All well and good if he picked up wickets I guess, but I'd be pretty worried if he's missing his lengths by that much :ph34r:

Last edited:

vcs

The ramp/scoop fetish has gone too far
It looks a bit silly when players who aren't as skilled as AB de Villiers or Buttler are trying it out every other ball and failing more often than not. I suppose it's no worse than missing a blind legside heave.

Moss

Well you got to be ******* kidding me.

Didn't watch a ball this series sans the odd highlights package, but some definite plusses for both sides in their quest to be world t20 ready i suppose. Malan and Parkinson for England in particular.

Good to see Guptill's back to some reasonable hitting form though remains to be seen if he is still a force at ODI level. Munro's output at international level still not quite good enough, and Sodhi seems to have regressed too. Seifert is the one big addition to the lineup in the last year, cpuld be a star if managed well.

Daemon

Been thinking about T20s and people (usually those who don’t really enjoy T20s anyways) criticising the lack of balance between bat and ball.

I personally feel it’s just a lot more fun as a spectacle when the balance is tilted heavily in the favour of batsmen. I don’t think people appreciate how much power hitting has evolved in terms of training and execution, and the balance in favour of batsmen - it enables that sort of hitting to be showcased at its peak.

You can’t ramp a near yorker over the keepers head if the ball’s still swinging in the 8th. The reverse sweep becomes a low percentage shot and gets shelved if conditions aren’t right or too many fielders are allowed outside the ring. It becomes a gamble to bomb one over long on if you can’t clear the man on the advertising boards at the MCG. A short boundary on one side makes batsmen target it with shots that you’d never see on a regular day. ****’s exciting.

There are trade offs and we shouldn’t go too far but I think we’re finding that sweet spot.

vandem

Was a good workout for both sides.

I think NZ missed an opportunity by not picking Phillips, he has had good success in CPL and should be a strong contender for a white ball opening spot as Guptill and Munro move towards the end of their careers. I understand that Munro can be a game winner, and they want to give him a chance to make runs before T20 world cups, but England brought 3 openers and weren't scared to rotate to allow the newcomer some experience.

de Grandhomme at #4 is a good move, allows hims a few balls to settle in before trying to hit boundaries. Was good to give Mitchell + Seifert + Tickner more experience. Would be good if more of the T20 bowlers were useful #8 / #9 hitters, perhaps Jamieson?

Not sure how Kane fits into the top XI if they want Guptiil + Munro opening. Kane at #3 and Taylor at #5 may not be enough boundary hitting.

The Hutt Rec

Bizarrely, for someone who cares very little for T20s, me. And Seifert would have been my 5th pick after Gup, Munro, CDG and Neesham. Yes he scored a few today but he's not the guy. He's not a closer, he's not experienced, it's just not his scenario. I feel like that just put him in a crap situation that he's not yet ready for. And presumably we want to win these games, and series', so I feel like it was a really average thing to send him out.
Was a bit weird as it turned out that Guptill wasn’t on strike ... would’ve made more sense for Seifert to at least start at the other end.

But in the end, it was always going to be very tough to chase that in a super over ... and sorry to admit the result means nothing to me either way.

I think Seifert could have been the man for the job though, the six he crunched over long on was an epic shot! But instead he got caught up in laps and reverses.

John1990

Munro is a flop at this level
Not at all. 60 t20is average 31 with a SR of 160. He is a gun in t20i

Average of 25 with SR 105 is ok in ODIs at least it’s a flier - not too different from list a and he’s better in t20I than t20

I highly doubt you were expecting him to make a career in test cricket. If you were a serious poster I would await a reply, but I thought I’d knock the head on your troll at base one. :laugh:

Edit —In fact I just saw the result now, only just found the time - looks like you were prob implying he’s a gun too at t20I, fair enough slippy

Last edited:

John1990

Just reading about this game.

Looks like ultra pyjama cricket on paper. The scoring looks stupid. Too easy for the batsmen. Unless there was some rank bad bowling. Looks like Jordan came out clutch in the end of the game and Bairstow needed that innings. His place was starting to come under threat but he’s batted any of that talk away now (literally)

John1990

nz u kno u can lose to England in a big game without the super over right

right?

right?

nz fans, how do you boys feel? r-r-r-r-obbed?

SteveNZ

Was a bit weird as it turned out that Guptill wasn’t on strike ... would’ve made more sense for Seifert to at least start at the other end.

But in the end, it was always going to be very tough to chase that in a super over ... and sorry to admit the result means nothing to me either way.

I think Seifert could have been the man for the job though, the six he crunched over long on was an epic shot! But instead he got caught up in laps and reverses.
That's all good man, I'm surprised I care about the result. I think I care more about the thinking. I just don't know how you get to Seifert not only taking the super over, but facing the first ball. I can only think a) they thought Jordan was going to execute yorkers and Seifert has the lap b) it's good for his progression (which I disagree with and hope it isn't that one). You generally don't score 17-18 in laps in an over. And sending out a relatively inexperienced guy in a pressure situation against experienced guys is not often good for growth, only a bit of self doubt.

The Hutt Rec

So Kuggeleijn ... 9 t20s, rpo 9.7, average 50.2. I know it’s early in his career, but he just seems to be cannon fodder with no variation whatsoever.