• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Matt79

Global Moderator
Well played England. Was the better team in more of the important periods in this match. Anderson and Paneser deserve medals for holding out for a drawer at Cardiff - it's won you the Ashes in the end.

Burgey

Come off it, Ikki, it's not as though that question came as a surprise to him. He knew he would be asked it by each and every interviewer that spoke to him, and would have prepared his answer for it. Do you think they don't get taught this kind of thing in week 1 of their media relations courses at the ACA? He had various ways of answering that question and he chose to get his point across in the way that he did.

I'm not having a go at him for doing so, mind you.
Well if he thinks it he should say it, provided he also says both teams had to play on it and Northern South Africa did so better, which I understand he did.

No excuses from my POV anyway. Got knocked over by a fine spell in our 1st innings. Can't do much about that, and it was great to see such a great effort from a trans-gender athlete.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
AUS collapses in 2009 at Lord's & the Oval first innings, was not like 2005 where they exposed to coventional & reverse swing - it was shocking batting.
So which of the batsmen at the Oval were the ones who got out through shocking batting then?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Lol at the last few pages worth of posts by Ikki, just as I was softening to him he comes out with a load of further bilge.

For my money, Australia really ought to have won the series, but they didn't, end of, England earnt it, well played, I will make no more posts on the issue, back to Off Topic for me, been nice posting here over the last few weeks, I hope you all remember me well.

tooextracool

Think 2-2 would have been an accurate indication of the series because I think both teams were even on the whole, but Australia not being able to take that last wicket at Cardiff and in essence not being able to take the key moments in the game cost them in the end.

That being said, Anderson (Edgbaston), Flintoff (Lords) and Broad (Oval) produced 3 spells that were head and shoulders above any spell bowled by anyone on the Australian side and 2 of those spells resulted in the victories for England.

Top_Cat

This series is the archtypical example of it not just being how many runs you score/wickets you take but when you do it. England seized the key moments generally and Aus were playing catch-up a lot of the time.

People will look back on the series and claim several players had good series when, a few of them, their good averages and number in the wickets column were largely inconsequential. That's why Strauss's runs hurt more than North's did (Clarke too, arguably). Aus's campaign was bi-polar; when good, they were sensational. When bad, however...... England in this series are why I personally prefer players who perform earlier in the match too. Do the job first, lay the pressure on and watch the opposition try to dig themselves out. Exactly how Aus beat the snot out of oppo for 10 years. Ponting's the only genuine front-runner in the side, I reckon.

Especially damning is and should be Aus's first digs in three of the Tests. England were good in those knocks but Anderson's spell apart, they were basically good, solid team bowling efforts.

Last edited:

Pizzorno

All that's left for me to say is that it's been terrific to follow the Ashes over here at CW and the good natured crim baiting that came with it. Probably won't be around as much until we go to South Africa so until then gentlemen.

AaronK

Well well..well. i didn't see this one coming.. i thought here we go.. Aus will win this after last test match.. but wow.. what a come back..

I honestly enjoyed Peter Siddle's bowling..

jondavluc

all I can say about this match is I'm happy that Benny got Anderson out for his first duck.:happy:

Last edited: