• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Headingley

four_or_six

I was out all day yesterday, and couldn't watch the cricket. But I was sat on a bus going back home and suddenly a middle-aged man with earphones in shouted out 'bloody hell Bopara' and slammed his newspaper down. I had a feeling I wasn't missing much.

Pigeon

Banned
I was out all day yesterday, and couldn't watch the cricket. But I was sat on a bus going back home and suddenly a middle-aged man with earphones in shouted out 'bloody hell Bopara' and slammed his newspaper down. I had a feeling I wasn't missing much.
Got a rough one TBF

Pigeon

Banned
Yeah, a poor decision perhaps, but it was still a rubbish shot, for which he must shoulder the blame.
Oh yes, and it's hard to imagine had he survived that appeal, would have gone and scored a 100 or 150. He must be dropped and also Bell. Bring in Mark Ramprakash and Trott FFS. Atleast Mark deserves it.

Oh and Harmlesson did not do anything of significance to warrant his place once Fred who will come back.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Oh yes, and it's hard to imagine had he survived that appeal, would have gone and scored a 100 or 150. He must be dropped and also Bell. Bring in Mark Ramprakash and Trott FFS. Atleast Mark deserves it.

Oh and Harmlesson did not do anything of significance to warrant his place once Fred who will come back.
Harmison doing badly is probably a good thing tbh, at least this means there is no chance of him being selected again if Flintoff is fit. Worst thing would have been for Harmison to pick up the wickets Broad did and make himself un-droppable.

Pigeon

Banned
Harmison doing badly is probably a good thing tbh, at least this means there is no chance of him being selected again if Flintoff is fit. Worst thing would have been for Harmison to pick up the wickets Broad did and make himself un-droppable.
Frankly would still prefer Harmy to Broad, but it is hard to drop him now, although Broad's 6-fer was perhaps the least effective six-fer I've seen.

Ikki

A student of the Ikki school of charm & diplomacy, is Ricky.

Reading between the lines, I suspect he's more pissed off with the booing than he's publically stated because he's not usually quite so blunt.
Some people just don't like hearing the truth. :ph34r: :p

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Frankly would still prefer Harmy to Broad, but it is hard to drop him now, although Broad's 6-fer was perhaps the least effective six-fer I've seen.
Though I don't particularly rate Broad, I think he is a far superior option to Harmison. To give his due he bowled reasonably well during this match and has the slightly dubious honour of being the pick of England's bowlers over the last three days. The amount of wides deliveries he serves up is the main concern there, and at least he can contribute with the bat every now and again.

zaremba

I am not Aussie, I in fact support England. But could not help that one out. I think some of the fans just went overboard by the likes of booing Ponting etc. That section truly deserved this slapping.
Yes apologies again. I completely misunderstood where your post was coming from.

Pigeon

Banned
Though I don't particularly rate Broad, I think he is a far superior option to Harmison. To give his due he bowled reasonably well during this match and has the slightly dubious honour of being the pick of England's bowlers over the last three days. The amount of wides deliveries he serves up is the main concern there, and at least he can contribute with the bat every now and again.
Harmy's wickets read like this. Both were off mistakes generated by sheer effort of the bowler.

1.4 to Katich, got him! A brute from Harmison cutting back and bouncing on Katich who fended it off his gloves to the diving leg gully 14/1
80.2 to Haddin, got him! Somehow, the bouncer war has worked. Just short of a length, Haddin went for a pull but it wasn't quite short enough and he spooned it around to leg gully 323/6

Broad's wickets read like this:

28.6 to Ponting, got him! Broad raps him on the pad with one angling into Ponting's pads, as he tries to whip it to leg, and there's a long delay before Rauf raises his finger 140/3
30.3 to Hussey, gone! Broad gets the breakthrough coming around the wicket, swinging in to Hussey and strikes him in line, would have taken leg stump 151/4
96.3 to Johnson, the short ball gets a wicket, Johnson goes for the pull and it flies high out to deep midwicket, where Bopara doesn't have to move to take the catch just inside the boundary 393/7
96.6 to Siddle, gone! Siddle departs for a golden duck. Broad aims at the stumps and it takes the top of off, well bowled by Broad, who now has four. 394/8
102.5 to Clark, Broad gets five, and that's the end of Clark's cameo. He's flashed at one outside off and the bottom edge cannons into off stump 440/9
104.1 to North, that's it, the innings ends with a big slog to deep midwicket, it's taken comfortably and Broad gets six 445/10

Ponting's and Hussey's wickets could be attributed to Broad's efforts really.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Harmy's wickets read like this. Both were off mistakes generated by sheer effort of the bowler.

1.4 to Katich, got him! A brute from Harmison cutting back and bouncing on Katich who fended it off his gloves to the diving leg gully 14/1
80.2 to Haddin, got him! Somehow, the bouncer war has worked. Just short of a length, Haddin went for a pull but it wasn't quite short enough and he spooned it around to leg gully 323/6

Broad's wickets read like this:

28.6 to Ponting, got him! Broad raps him on the pad with one angling into Ponting's pads, as he tries to whip it to leg, and there's a long delay before Rauf raises his finger 140/3
30.3 to Hussey, gone! Broad gets the breakthrough coming around the wicket, swinging in to Hussey and strikes him in line, would have taken leg stump 151/4
96.3 to Johnson, the short ball gets a wicket, Johnson goes for the pull and it flies high out to deep midwicket, where Bopara doesn't have to move to take the catch just inside the boundary 393/7
96.6 to Siddle, gone! Siddle departs for a golden duck. Broad aims at the stumps and it takes the top of off, well bowled by Broad, who now has four. 394/8
102.5 to Clark, Broad gets five, and that's the end of Clark's cameo. He's flashed at one outside off and the bottom edge cannons into off stump 440/9
104.1 to North, that's it, the innings ends with a big slog to deep midwicket, it's taken comfortably and Broad gets six 445/10

Ponting's and Hussey's wickets could be attributed to Broad's efforts really.
It's still hardly a case for picking Harmison over Broad, according to that both picked up the same amount of wickets through decent bowling. On top of that, Broad picked up an additional 4 wickets and can actually do something with the bat. So I would say he merits inclusion ahead of Harmison, though neither are particularly good. And though some of Broad's wickets came through rash shots, it would be foolish to say that just because they came due to slogging batsmen they were poor deliveries and not deserved on the part of the bowler.

four_or_six

I'm just watching the first day that I recorded, and I'm on Harmison's second spell. I really wouldn't be sad if that's his last test for England, whether that means Broad is given a run or whatever.

Craig

World Traveller
According to Holding, Harmison brings that fear factor. Please don't tell me he is going down hill as a commentator.