• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 29 - India v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smalishah84

The Tiger King
A word on Tendulkar - you've got to feel for the man. The man batted and fielded brilliantly today, but instead fans and media alike would rather talk about how yet another Tendulkar century came in a losing cause.
agree with this part.

However I would still maintain that Dhoni is a great captain. He is always trying to out think the opposition .Sure his gamble didn't pay off this time but most of the time it does.

I have to say though that India probably has the worst bowling attack in this tournament. It is difficult to see them winning the cup with this bowling attack. Once they conceded 300 bowling second and one they conceded 338 :wacko:

Blaze 18

Banned
Around 5-8 people in this thread called "wtf?" when Nehra was given the ball, well before he even bowled the first ball.

How about Munaf and Zaheer telling him what to do before he even bowled it? The lack of faith in him was :laugh:
I haven't read through the last few pages of this thread; I was talking more about the media. Anyway - I don't think it was that bad a decision. There's nothing to suggest Harbhajan wouldn't have conceded those runs. Like Dhoni himself said, Nehra has done well in these situations (India-Sri Lanka first ODI, Rajkot 2009, for example).

IndiaLose

I haven't read through the last few pages of this thread; I was talking more about the media. Anyway - I don't think it was that bad a decision. There's nothing to suggest Harbhajan wouldn't have conceded those runs. Like Dhoni himself said, Nehra has done well in these situations (India-Sri Lanka first ODI, Rajkot 2009, for example).
I have never seen Nehra doing well in such situations.

Daemon

I can recollect several instances in the last year alone where teams with tailenders have finished chases when they needed 20 runs off 2 overs (or similar). Honestly, it's just a couple of swings away. It can go your way, or it might not. Obviously, it would be nice if your main bowler didn't bowl ****ing length balls in the 50th over :dry:, but you take the rough with the smooth. We won from similar circumstances against Pakistan in the Asia Cup and Shoaib ****ing Akhtar was bowling the last over to Bhajji. Even Bangladesh scored 58 with their 9th wicket partnership yesterday. Bhajji and Zaheer did it in SA recently, though the RR was comfortable on that occasion. SL had an epic 9th wicket partnership between Malinga and Mathews when they beat Australia.

I honestly cannot recall another instance where such a magnificent batting display upto 40 overs has been so utterly ruined in the last 10.
Everyone blames the batting, I think thats quite clear. It's just that such a simple decision, which doesn't involve anything other than half a brain, was made wrongly. That could have been totally avoided without any form of cricketing skill required.

cricpk

My colleague from is an indian & i can't tell what wording is he using for Dhoni :laugh:
We tried to calm him down but right now its better if none of us goes near to him :laugh:

jeevan

Yeah seems like 90s all over again. Sachin scores 100, India lose.
And five years later statistics-warriors will find two more examples of Sachin not making India win to back the player du jour to be better than SRT

Daemon

When a guy hasn't bowled a single decent spell in the last couple of games, you don't hand over the fate of a game to him.

Sanz

And five years later statistics-warriors will find two more examples of Sachin not making India win to back the player du jour to be better than SRT
Haha, yes. That's why use of statsguru is so overrated.

Blaze 18

Banned
I mean no disrespect to Sachin,but it is exactly innings and scenarios like these that make people put a question mark over his status as a finisher.He isn't really up there with the Waugh and Inzamam level of finishing matches IMO..The man did his best today,and everyone else let his efforts go to vain.And Sure,India was batting first today,but i'm just saying.Matches like these give people more reasons to doubt his credentials as a finisher,and the sad part is that he can;t even do anything about it.
I've had this argument many times on other forums, can't be arsed here to be honest; no offence. I'll just say two things :

1) Tendulkar is an opener, Inzamam was not. The former's job isn't to finish matches. Compare Yuvraj or Dhoni to Inzamam, it'd be fairer and more apt.
2) A better last over from Ashish Nehra would have won India the match.

I rest my case.

Last edited:

Mikey29

Banned
I knew he was gonna screw it up as soon as he was given the ball. There is no "IF IT PAID OFF"- there was no chance it would pay off.

I haven't seen him bowl anything but erratic boundry-filled overs since he's come back. The only reason he's in the team is he's better than Sreesanth and India have no other options. The two bowlers in that team who are on another plain are Zaheer and Harbhajan. Logic suggests you bowl them as much as you can, whether first or last over.

Last edited:

Turbinator

Instead of attacking me, why don't you address the points made in this thread, which is :-

a. What evidence have you seen that allows you to make a prediction like India will win against WI ?
b. What evidence have you seen that makes you think India have a better chance of winning Pak/NZ as opposed to Aus/SL ?
a) The fact that India is playing at home. The fact that India is higher ranked. The fact that India's recent record at home has been good. 2 games in the WC, and you're overreacting about their chances. And the fact that your statement regarding India not winning against a non-minnow side also applies to WI. So when the poll comes out and anyone who votes for India in the poll, why don't you go jump on their backs too? At the end of the day, it's my opinion, it's my prediction.

b) Australia and SL are bother higher ranked than the other two. Also, the fact that we have a good record against Pakistan in the WC. I think it's pretty self-explanatory as to why anyone would rather avoid Aus and SL in the quarters, they've been labelled amongst the favourites for a reason. By saying this I'm not taking anything away from Pak or NZL. Once again, my opinion. You're welcome to have a different one.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Everyone blames the batting, I think thats quite clear. It's just that such a simple decision, which doesn't involve anything other than half a brain, was made wrongly. That could have been totally avoided without any form of cricketing skill required.
When a guy hasn't bowled a single decent spell in the last couple of games, you don't hand over the fate of a game to him.
:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Sanz

a) And the fact that your statement regarding India not winning against a non-minnow side also applies to WI. So when the poll comes out and anyone who votes for India in the poll, why don't you go jump on their backs too? At the end of the day, it's my opinion, it's my prediction.
It does but they have won more comfortably against them compared to what we have done.

And you made a prediction in this thread, So did I. Guess what my Prediction was right, yours was WRONG. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Blaze 18

Banned
He let a newbie in Joginder Sharma bowl the final over of the World T20 and India won - funnily enough, the alternative at that time was the same Harbhajan Singh. The media and everyone else lauded him for thinking out-of-the-box. At least in this case he gave it to a bowler who wasn't a stranger to such situations. And to be fair to him, he bowled one rank ordinary length ball that was hit for six. The first ball was fine, he was unlucky. See, these things happen. I think we are overreacting.

Turbinator

It does but they have won more comfortably against them compared to what we have done.

And you made a prediction in this thread, So did I. Guess what my Prediction was right, yours was WRONG. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
8-)

Really Sanz, really? And I thought you were my dad's age.

Dhoni_fan

He let a newbie in Joginder Sharma bowl the final over of the World T20 and India won - funnily enough, the alternative at that time was the same Harbhajan Singh. The media and everyone else lauded him for thinking out-of-the-box. At least in this case he gave it to a bowler who wasn't a stranger to such situations. And to be fair to him, he bowled one rank ordinary length ball that was hit for six. The first ball was fine, he was unlucky. See, these things happen. I think we are overreacting.
I do agree that had Nehra pulled it off we would be lauding it but we cannot deny it was a strange decsion.

Why would you keep an over of Bhaji when he has been bowling so well if you don't plab to bowl him? Makes no logical sense at all!

Daemon

I know I didn't applaud that decision. Joginder bowled bull**** in that last over and got lucky. I said it before, I speak for myself, not fans who laud decisions made on hunches when they go right and criticize them when they go wrong. (Think I made this point in that Nehra thread, should be merged actually)

EDIT: there

If Nehra managed to defend it, and I only speak for myself, I would praise him depending on how he bowled that last over, or just be happy that we were lucky. If people want to jack off to Dhoni posters based on decisions that he makes on a hunch, they need to wake up and accept the fact that these decisions can also backfire. Never been a fan of 'extraordinary' decisions based on instincts. They may work or they may not. Not to be used unless its a hopeless situation imo.
In the T20 case, I was happy we got lucky.

Last edited: