• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in CWLand

Cloete

Delighted to be playing. Best of luck to all of those selected and congrats to Rob on making his debut, sure he'll do a great job. We can definitely win this, as always the batting will need to stand up.

Condolences to Simon who's been easily the best FC batsmen in the country and I think he deserves a shot sooner or later.

age_master

Cloete said:
Condolences to Simon who's been easily the best FC batsmen in the country and I think he deserves a shot sooner or later.
Another shot - the question for the selectors is how many shots to give him?

Cloete

age_master said:
Another shot - the question for the selectors is how many shots to give him?
Yeah totally fair call. Dunno if he's been given a totally fair shot these last 3 seasons or so though. Almsot all of his tests came before he really hit a purple patch.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Afridi and Pakistan crush CW XI
Incredible scenes at the Cricket Web Oval

Just 11 runs separated the CW XI and Pakistan after the completion of the first innings, but by the time Greg Thomas was dismissed to end the game, the CW XI had compiled a second innings of 411 runs... and lost by 254.

What happened in between was nigh on unbelievable. The Pakistani batsmen launch a devastating assault on the Cricket Web bowlers, led by Shahid Afridi's magnificent 191. He was dropped three times – on 142, 152, and 175 - and the Webheads floored 11 in total in the third innings of the game. For some, it was non-stop excitement. But for most, it was utter confusion and disbelief.

Afridi joined captain Inzamam and the two battered 285 runs for the fifth wicket against a shattered attack on a dead wicket. When Afridi finally holed out to longoff, the score stood at an enormous 646. Pakistan declared soon after at 654-8. It set up a target of 666 for the home side, with all of two days for Pakistan to fetch wickets.

Minds were so severely blown by the events of the previous day, that few recalled the heroics that made the first innings such a keen contest. Neil Pickup was compelling in a career-best performance of 7-90, limiting Pakistan to 241 after the Webheads won the toss and chose to field.

The response was less convincing, however. Wicketkeeper Mørk scored an uncharacteristically fiery 57, but only Camps (61) managed to pass 25 otherwise. A total of 230 was disappointing, especially given the prediction of the pitch as a batting strip. Pakistan were gifted the best of the batting conditions and rose dominant.

Setting out for 666, the home crowd was still electric in hope that they could yet witness a miracle of sorts. Silence was even more deafening then, as Mamesh popped the first ball back to Shoaib Akhtar for a duck.

As Mørk was caught for 9, humiliation seemed on the cards – 33 for 2. But the two most senior players were at the crease and unwilling to leave without a fight and a dash. Captain Goff and Andrew Cloete returned some fire to the tourists, scoring brilliant hundreds in quick time, and setting the game alight at 278-2. Just for a moment, the impossible seemed a grab away.

Enter Umar Gul – the shatterer of dreams – and a superb display of reverse swing accounted first for Cloete, then Goff. Gul went on to take 6 wickets in the innings, and despite starts from everyone in the middle order, the CW XI perished early on the final day.

1536 runs, 38 wickets, 363.3 overs – an epic Test.

Pakistan 1st innings 241 ao
(Shahid Afridi 90*, Mohammad Hafeez 73, Mohammad Yousuf 53; NS Pickup 7-90)
Cricket Web XI 1st innings 230 ao
(LA Camps 61, H Mørk 57; Shahid Afridi 3-17, Mohammad Asif 3-97)
Pakistan 2nd innings 654-8 dec.
(Shahid Afridi 191, Inzamam-ul-Haq 174, Imran Farhat 69; Nathan Hoy 2-115)
Cricket Web XI 2nd innings 411 ao
(AP Cloete 135, BJ Goff 126; Umar Gul 6-91, Shoaib Akhtar 3-72)

Pakistan won by 254 runs.
Man of the Match: Shahid Afridi

Attachments

FaaipDeOiad

Disappointing second innings bowling effort, but a good performance aside from that. Pickup, Cloete and Goff have plenty to be happy about.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Jungle Jumbo said:
Is it possible that Pickup had both his worst and best innings figures in the same Test?
Don't think so. I'm fairly sure I've had several worse lacings than that one.

Anyway, thoroughly disappointing that the electric atmosphere of the first day swiftly degenerated into nothing more than a wind farm in the doldrums - it's going to take a lot of character to bounce back from this, but I'm sure we have it.

Robertinho

Mmm...we were reasonably competitive in all but 1 innings. Good stuff in the 1st innings from Pickup, a solid showing in our 1st innings from Hakon and Camps, then in our 2nd innings Cloete and Blewy dominated. Great debut from myself :dry: but hopefully we can bounce back in the 2nd test.

Last edited:

cbuts

well lets be honest - 11 dropped catches in one innings, is a disgrace at club level, let alone test level. think we have to work on the fielding at training. had we held on to some of these chances i dare to guess pakistan may not have even passed 450 - which would have completly chaged the game.

chassing 660 odd we were never in it, congrats to gofy and cloete who add a slight amount of respectability to what was otherwise a thoroughly embarrassing loss

cbuts

FaaipDeOiad said:
Disappointing second innings bowling effort, but a good performance aside from that. Pickup, Cloete and Goff have plenty to be happy about.
a tad unfair to blaim the bowlers when 11 catches were put down. wat can they do?

bryce

1st Test Dropsies...

Camps -3
Mork - 3
Goff - 2
Mamesh - 2
Thomas - 1
Pickup - 1
Hoy - 1
Cloete - 1
Kennett - 1
Kearsley - 1

All I gotta say is well done Dauth:ph34r:

Robertinho

:laugh:

I've actually become a gun fielder this season, all started with my sensaational runout in the first game...