• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pool B Discussion

Mr Mxyzptlk

Legglancer said:
Well I disagree with the notion that South Africa would have certainly won had the game gone the full distance. I have watched too much cricket to make comments like that. I think Atapatu and De Silva demoralised the SA bowling and took the game awey from SA. 40 runs from 30 balls is a gettable target with a Klusner and Boucher at the crease... but Dont forget that Vass had 3 overs left and Murali had also 1 over .... these two guys are 2 of the top wicket takers in the SL team and this world cup theirfore the match could have gone either way.
But Klusener enjoys facing pace bowling and Vaas hadn't exactly ripped through the SA batsmen. In fact, when you think about it, the only top team that (ie decent Test nation) that Vaas did well against was WI and WI played poor shots against him and there was one bad decision. I'm not discrediting him as a bowler though. In fact, I think that he could get to Wasim quality in the next couple of years.

Regarding Murali, Boucher had just smashed him for an effortless six.

Legglancer

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But Klusener enjoys facing pace bowling and Vaas hadn't exactly ripped through the SA batsmen. In fact, when you think about it, the only top team that (ie decent Test nation) that Vaas did well against was WI and WI played poor shots against him and there was one bad decision. I'm not discrediting him as a bowler though. In fact, I think that he could get to Wasim quality in the next couple of years.

Regarding Murali, Boucher had just smashed him for an effortless six.
Well Klusner was at the wicket for 8 balls and scored a solitary 1.IMO He was not looking comfortable at all in the middle. Now I am not dening what Klusner And Boucher are caperble of .... but its quite presumtious to assume that 40 runs in 30 balls with 6 wickets down and a new bat at the wicket is a cakewalk or a "sure thing" Sure Murali has been hit for many sixers before .... but his reputation of being the provobial "wily fox" cannot be underestimated.

Here's something else to ponder .... South Africa's sorry overrate delayed the Sri Lanken innings by 9+ minitues. However Clive Lloyd decided not to penalize them probably because it was such a crucial match for the host nation. If an over or two was penalized thier task would be so much more difficult.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Legglancer said:

Here's something else to ponder .... South Africa's sorry overrate delayed the Sri Lanken innings by 9+ minitues. However Clive Lloyd decided not to penalize them probably because it was such a crucial match for the host nation. If an over or two was penalized thier task would be so much more difficult.
I don't think his none penalising was because it's a crucial game for SA, more likely delays in the innings which were beyond their control.