• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pets

hendrix

Back in the day, Dad used to give food to some neighbourhood stray cats. He formed such a bond with one that he started to give her food inside our house. Most of us protested but to no avail. Even we didn't really understand the seriousness of that decision then. She'd wait for him to come back from work and then follow him into the house. She'd leave the moment she had her food, I made sure of that. I was the resident cat hater.

**** got real when she got pregnant and started crying outside our front door. The incessant crying was too much, so my dad being the gentle soul that he is, opened the door and let her give birth to 3 beautiful kittens inside our house. None of us were ready for it. It was a small house as well. After a few days, we took the kittens outside, hoping that she would take them somewhere else. She would not. All she would do was stay guard and cry, looking nervously all around. Her face when she looks around scared is still one of the clearest memories I have of her. Could melt anyone's heart.

Long story short, overnight we became owners of 3 kittens. The little **** didn't stop there though. She gave birth at least 3 more times at our house. Mom and dad had to look after 9 kittens IIRC. All 9 of them running away at different ages. With the oldest non-runner also running away at one and a half years. He was a fighter, battling with the resident neighbourhood alphas who were far bigger than him. That they were running away is an assumption we made though. Anything could have happened to them. But none of them were ever found in our vicinity. Dad would always go looking for them but never found any of them ever again.

I have some great memories of those kittens and their mother. Whenever she gave birth to multiple kittens, the kittens could play with each other and would not feel lonely. But she gave birth once to a solitary kitten and I was the only one available at home that she could play with. Loved that kitten. She had a nice personality. I won't lie, even though I said "good riddance" at home when she ran away, I might have shed a few tears some nights thinking about that kitten.
This story is choc full of examples surrounding the morals of human-animal relationships. It's interesting that you didn't use the word "pet", as there was no aspect of ownership.

Cat-human relationships are fascinating because if you think back in time to the first cities, it's quite likely that cats were an essential tool in preventing rodent outbreaks (. And even today, our reliance on cats in cities is far more fundamental than any other animal - we don't need horses for transport, dogs for protection of herds from predators, camels for trade, sheep and cows for milk, but if you selectively reduce the number of feral cats in modern cities you often find a concurrent upsurge in rodents (bird populations being the unintended consequence of cat domestication)...etc. Unfortunately, we have selectively bred many of these animals to require human nurture in some form or another, but we can look to make the relationship no longer one of exploitation.

Shri

This story is choc full of examples surrounding the morals of human-animal relationships. It's interesting that you didn't use the word "pet", as there was no aspect of ownership.

Cat-human relationships are fascinating because if you think back in time to the first cities, it's quite likely that cats were an essential tool in preventing rodent outbreaks (. And even today, our reliance on cats in cities is far more fundamental than any other animal - we don't need horses for transport, dogs for protection of herds from predators, camels for trade, sheep and cows for milk, but if you selectively reduce the number of feral cats in modern cities you often find a concurrent upsurge in rodents (bird populations being the unintended consequence of cat domestication)...etc. Unfortunately, we have selectively bred many of these animals to require human nurture in some form or another, but we can look to make the relationship no longer one of exploitation.
Cats help hide an infestation by scaring the rats away but if you want to fix an infestation, rat terriers are the way to go. They kill rats better than cats. Dogs are better than cats in one more thing now.

indiaholic

At our home in Kerala we had 7-8 cats roaming around our home. They weren't pets but would show up for scraps around lunch time. They were allowed free reign and pretty much solved the rat problem. Dogs were kept as protection from people wanting to steal the chicken or snakes showing up at night.

Shri

At our home in Kerala we had 7-8 cats roaming around our home. They weren't pets but would show up for scraps around lunch time. They were allowed free reign and pretty much solved the rat problem. Dogs were kept as protection from people wanting to steal the chicken or snakes showing up at night.
People from my place grow specific types of plants and herbs that snakes usually avoid. And my grandfather boasted that he could smell snakes and swore that it was a skill one picked up when one had to **** in the bushes. He was probably full of ****.:laugh:

Daemon

I've seen rats chase cats in India.

Cats kill way more pigeons compared to rodents in general I think.

Last edited:

hendrix

Cats help hide an infestation by scaring the rats away but if you want to fix an infestation, rat terriers are the way to go. They kill rats better than cats. Dogs are better than cats in one more thing now.
I've seen rats chase cats in India.

Cats kill way more pigeons compared to rodents in general I think.
Probably. Definitely a different reliance on animals depending on where you live.

I find it quite interesting from a moral as well as anthropological point of view.

Bahnz

Yeah, when my mum and dad had some work done on the foundations of their house, their schnauzer terrier had the time of it's life. Saw her catch a rat once, was amazing and kinda terrifying how she just grabbed it and broke it's neck with a couple of shakes.

vogue

5 weeks old and still with mum and her brothers and sisters,but she(Maisie) will be with me in about 3 weeks time.
IMG_8256.JPG

vogue

Clearly on her best behaviour in that pic - hope you have invested heavily in furniture/carpet protection
Ah yes. Vizslas are quite intelligent so hopefully I won't have too much damage..ha ha. We shall see though. She's a feisty independent little one. :)

vogue

Such great handsome dogs German Shepherds.. If I had known a bit more about Viszlas I would have taken a rescue one. Admire people who do. :)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
are you friends with sledger on facebook, he tagged me in a clip last week?

It's probably still available on catch up in the UK but unless I'm mistaken you're not in this fine country