• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quick Question For Indians

Goughy

Hi, I have the possibility of a job in Chennai. I don't really want to talk about the job but more about Chennai. Can anyone offer insight into life in the city?

My priorities are family, sport and beer. I'll hopefully be looking for a good school, good domestic help, somewhere to play cricket and football, and if possible rugby, and safe, decent places for a Friday night beer.

I'm also looking for info on crime safety, pollution, traffic congestion.

How is Chennai viewed by other Indians and in comparison to other Indian cities?

Cheers

Kev

G.I.Joe

It used to be called Madras.

Two states fought over it during the states re organisation in the 1950s, but Tamil Nadu managed to beat Andhra to it. Andhra had to settle for Teja's hometown - Hyderabad, as a poor consolation prize.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's hot. You don't really have to worry about safety - especially in comparison to places you've been. Domestic help will be ridiculously cheap by western standards.

I've only gone as a tourist so I can't help you on the "local" stuff. It's an Indian city so there will certainly be congestion. If you've never been to India, the smells and sounds will probably be overwhelming at first no matter where you go.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I've lived in Chennai a few years ago when I was in my eleventh and twelfth grade and have lived in Delhi, Bangalore and Hyderabad in the past and have spent decent amounts of time in Bombay and Kolkota.

There are two-three great, pricey (by Indian standards) 'International' schools which I think you'll find suitable. Domestic Help will be easy to find and cheap as long as you get someone else from the city to handle the negotiating process. The usual standard for domestic work is that they pop in once in the morn and once in the evening in half and hour bursts and work pretty efficiently.

The night life really sucks from a college POV but considering what you want there are plenty of great places where you can grab a cozy dinner + a beer. However, the night clubs are close to non-existent and there are only a handful of half-decent pubs. The scene is extremely safe though.

The safety is very high all-round too, I'm a bit nuts so it's routine for me to decide to take a walk at three or four in the night and there pretty much a 0% chance I'll run into a group of drunk douchebags throwing bottles around and **** which has happened a couple of times in Delhi. In fact safety wise, I'll rank it number one out of the cities I've lived for decent periods in. Still a good idea to make sure you live in a good residential area (one of three or four) for the comfort if not for the safety.

Obviously, like any Indian metro, there's massive pollution but it's not ****ing horrendous like Delhi/Kolkota/Bombay. The traffic is indeed an issue but again it's not a soul crushing rt of your day gone if you're unlucky like in B'lore or Delhi.

I lived literally a minute's walk away from a rugby ground and remember seeing some games going with a few expats in at least on the weekends. (Gandhinagar Rugby Ground) I don't really have any clarity on the matter though. Assuming Cricket/Football games would be easier to find with a few inquiries.

There are couple of beaches which are not rampantly overpopulated and still worth visiting. Sadly, the Marina is not one of them. The weather alternates between being ****ing hot in a thoroughly non-pleasant way to bat**** insane rains for a couple of months. At no point will the weather be chilly pleasant, not even in the middle of January. The auto rickshaws and the locals will try to rip you off your last belongings so getting a vehicle ASAP is absolutely essential. The schools will have school buses so that's not a worry. The public transport is dire and prepaid agency taxis are usually ****ing expensive over a longish term.

Frankly, It's not a city where I'd like to spend any part of my twenties in. It's not as spicy and diverse as Delh or Mumbai or as inviting and multicultural as Hyderabad or Bangalore but it's a very safe and stable place.

Let me know if you want to know anything else in particular.

and oh don't eat the Kaka Biryani in any of the hundred street stalls you encounter. It's flavoured crow meat rice and it tastes even worse than you'd expect. :happy:

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
It used to be called Madras.

Two states fought over it during the states re organisation in the 1950s, but Tamil Nadu managed to beat Andhra to it. Andhra had to settle for Teja's hometown - Hyderabad, as a poor consolation prize.
Nice try bud. Everyone knows Hyderabad is the best city in India.

Goughy

Cheers for the insight. We will see if it happens. I'll be honest. It wouldn't be my first choice or even my first choice in India but it is realistic work wise and there are many worse places. I know it is hot but can it really be that much hotter than the Philippines and Malaysia?

The lack of pubs is a concern. Do people - I mean the middle class with a decent income - usually live in apartments or houses?

Last edited:

smalishah84

The Tiger King
Cheers for the insight. We will see if it happens. I'll be honest. It wouldn't be my first choice or even my first choice in India but it is realistic work wise and there are many worse places. I know it is hot but can it really be that much hotter than the Philippines and Malaysia?

?
I don't know about the phillipines but if you find malaysia very hot then I reckon you will find most places in the Sub-continent much hotter.