• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Random Animal Meat

Xuhaib

being a practicing muslim restricts my choice of meat but among the ones allowed Camel kebab's were pretty good when I had them in Saudia .

Son Of Coco

Have eaten ostrich, kangaroo, crocodile, emu, and possum.

Had roast ostrich sandwiches from a shop called Ndebele in Edinburgh, they were delicious.

Out of the rest I reckon kangaroo is the best. If you have kangaroo fillets then you can get away with medium (just a bit pink on the inside) without it getting tough. If you buy lower quality kangaroo steaks though it gets tough really quickly.

Possum was delicious too though, really nice flavour. Crocodile tastes like a bit of a cross between chicken and a mild fish I think. And emu was ok, wasn't overly impressed with it when I tried it. Nothing special.

Steer clear of koala and wombat though, they taste like they've been marinated in piss.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
It's pretty hard to describe reindeer without referring to other wild game - grouse, hare, venison. Slightly more bitter and lean beef is probably the best I can come up with.

Traditionally served with a sauce with juniper berries up here.

Last edited:

Quaggas

wildebeest, zebra, impala, springbok, kudu
Can easily be "cooked incorrectly" and way too dry. Once tried a whole bunch of these at Carnivores in Jhb and regular pork was the best of the lot (perhaps they didn't toss the exotic stuff once it got too old?)

Edit: Just stay away from Quagga. We're endangered.

Daemon

I had venison in South Africa, wonder if it was Springbok or Impala, there were tons of those in the Game reserve I was at :p

Noble One

Only eaten Kangaroo. It has really taken off in Australia, my supermarket has a section of the deli dedicated to the stuff. Agree with all comments made within this thread, must not be overcooked.