• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

Good old Mark Nicholas.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...prepared-south-africa-confidence-building-win

South African sport does this: unveils talent that is driven by the spirit and soul of its great land. It is the gift that keeps on giving; ask Rassie Erasmus, their World Cup-winning rugby coach.
Which is a nice link to the national cricket team's new coach, Mark Boucher, a beaut of a bloke if ever there was one. It is a cliché but you'd have him in the trenches and find a safe way out, having won the battle en route. On these pages, a couple of weeks back, I wrote: "Boucher is tough, fair and has the scavenging skill to pickpocket games of cricket like few others. No stone will be unturned." And so it was. No stone was unturned.

Last edited:

SeamUp

I was surprised to see Mark Nicholas here I thought he would be back in OZ screaming in the mike with the other lot down under.
Supersport must have laid out a lot of rands or ronds (if from the posher parts of Cape Town)
Don't forget Channel 9 ended 2/3 summers back.

Despite the obvious love for Australia and Australians he seems to have it for SA too. Think he played club cricket in Durban before and seems very close with the Saffer converters like Greig, Lamb and Robin Smith.

SeamUp

Pieter Malan will be our 9th test debutant in 7 tests. Hamza, Mulder, Muthusamy, Nortje, Klaasen, Linde, Pretorius, van der Dussen.

A lot of his generation played for SA but didn't perhaps push on like some expected them too.

Pieter Malan
Jon-Jon Smuts
Rilee Rossouw
Reeza Hendricks
Jonathan Vandiar
Yassen Vallie
David Miller
SA Engelbrecht
Obus Pienaar
Wayne Parnell
Matt Arnold

Last edited:

StephenZA

Pieter does well and Markram starts scoring runs domestically could put huge pressure on Elgar. Be good for the team.

SeamUp

Pieter does well and Markram starts scoring runs domestically could put huge pressure on Elgar. Be good for the team.
That is what I hope we getting back now. Internal healthy competition to push each player knowing that if you not performing you looking over your shoulder.

SeamUp

https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/m...oteas-as-high-performance-consultant-20191230

Malibongwe had a tough period. Great opportunity but ended so quickly so it is good to see him get an opportunity like this. Also wouldn't mind someone like Andrew Puttick getting a bigger role like he had with SA A. We also keep forgetting that more provinces would allow us to keep more coaches too.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) has announced the appointment with immediate effect of Malibongwe Maketa as high performance consultant to the South African U19 squad currently preparing for the ICC U19 World Cup.

He will join head coach Lawrence Mahatlane’s squad in time for their quadrangular series against India, New Zealand and Zimbabwe starting in Durban on Friday and will continue in this role through the junior World Cup.

“As we have done with the consultants we have appointed to the Proteas it is important to have people with international experience working with our various squads,” commented CSA Acting Director of Cricket Graeme Smith.

“Mali fits the bill perfectly, having worked as Ottis Gibson’s assistant coach with the Proteas from 2017 to 2019. Before that he was a successful franchise coach with the Warriors, taking them to both the One-Day Cup and T20 Challenge finals in the 2016/17 season.

“Today’s five-wicket victory over India in the final match of their Youth ODI Series in East London can be seen as a positive and we will be doing everything we can to support them,” concluded Smith.

SeamUp

That little tit Telford Vice and his wife painfully write that same tripe over and over again so a few guys on twitter (all races) let him know that his writing is not doing Pieter Malan favours calling his selection controversial.

The dick then replies with this.

https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/111576/its-not-easy-being-pieter-malan

This guy & his wife always write with agendas. Their cricket writing with or without is toilet.

It's not like we don't know the issues of the past. Hard work behind the scenes is where that will hopefully bare fruit.

But to continue writing about skin colour is not making people aware it is only building walls and irritation & certainly not making life easy for our cricketers.

Last edited:

Dendarii

Can anyone explain this part of Vice's article?

The ugly noise duly reached a crescendo this week after Cricbuzz correctly called Malan's likely selection controversial - in racial terms, not according to cricket logic - because it could mean South Africa will field eight white players at Newlands. That's three more than stipulated by Cricket South Africa, and that after seven whites played at Centurion
So seven white players played at Centurion. Malan, a white player, replaces Markram, another white player, which leads to eight white players in the team? :confused1

And a comment on this sentence.

But picking players purely on race would damage the integrity of the process.
Except that anyone who suggests that Bavuma be picked is actually doing that. I am part of the minority who believe that Bavuma isn't as bad as a lot of people make him out to be, and wouldn't be against him being given another chance but he needs to bide his time and shouldn't just walk into the team.

I know that transformation is a very complicated matter and there isn't a quick and simple solution. But the controversial thing about Malan's selection isn't that the test side will be fielding seven white players again, but rather that the only realistic candidates for the opening batsman position are all white.

Heboric

That little tit Telford Vice and his wife painfully write that same tripe over and over again so a few guys on twitter (all races) let him know that his writing is not doing Pieter Malan favours calling his selection controversial.

The dick then replies with this.

https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/111576/its-not-easy-being-pieter-malan

This guy & his wife always write with agendas. Their cricket writing with or without is toilet.

It's not like we don't know the issues of the past. Hard work behind the scenes is where that will hopefully bare fruit.

But to continue writing about skin colour is not making people aware it is only building walls and irritation & certainly not making life easy for our cricketers.
After listening to Cape Talk this morning, I will just say they are pandering to the market

Stefan9

Personally not for Pieter Malan's selection but is due to not believing he is the best opening option. Much rather have van tonder,janneman or eddie moore. Don't think selectors looking closely enough...

SeamUp

Recent batsmen to debut for SA in test cricket from most recent.

1. van der Dussen
2. Klaasen (wk)
3. Muthusamy
4. Mulder
5. Hamza
6. Markram
7. Kuhn
8. de Bruyn
9. Cook
10. Vilas (wk)
11. Bavuma
12. van Zyl
13. de Kock (wk)
14. Elgar
15. du Plessis
16. Petersen
17. Khan
18. Duminy
19. de Villiers
20. Amla

StephenZA

Recent batsmen to debut for SA in test cricket from most recent.

1. van der Dussen
2. Klaasen (wk)
3. Muthusamy
4. Mulder
5. Hamza
6. Markram
7. Kuhn
8. de Bruyn
9. Cook
10. Vilas (wk)
11. Bavuma
12. van Zyl
13. de Kock (wk)
14. Elgar
15. du Plessis
16. Petersen
17. Khan
18. Duminy
19. de Villiers
20. Amla
Guys bolded deserved their debut. de Bruyn was stuck with a bit to long, unfortunately did not cut it. Markram, Hamza and Mulder need to be stuck with and given a long hall. I think Markram needs to get out of his own head. Hamza seems to have a technical deficiency where he is sparring at balls too far outside his off stump; he did not used to do it when I saw him, and I think it is something he could fix quickly.

Eddie Moore should be given a shot. I like the look of Rudi Seconds if they want experience in middle order. And then I want van Tonder coming in. He is to good a player to leave out.

SeamUp

Guys bolded deserved their debut. de Bruyn was stuck with a bit to long, unfortunately did not cut it. Markram, Hamza and Mulder need to be stuck with and given a long hall. I think Markram needs to get out of his own head. Hamza seems to have a technical deficiency where he is sparring at balls too far outside his off stump; he did not used to do it when I saw him, and I think it is something he could fix quickly.

Eddie Moore should be given a shot. I like the look of Rudi Seconds if they want experience in middle order. And then I want van Tonder coming in. He is to good a player to leave out.
It is just interesting showing it like that. There is such a fine balance between rewarding domestic form and identifying talent with a higher ceiling. We starting to get back to low 30s, 20s averages and passing from guys early because they just looked out of their depth. I think we at a stage where we have to reward these guys with their domestic form but then recognise the right stage to cut them when not performing and move on quickly and hope the talent you identify is making enough noises to pick them.

The above was 2019 to 2004

Before that. 2004 to re-admission 1992. (not including guys like Klusener/Pollock who came in primarily as bowlers with batting their hobby)

1. Thami Tsolekile (wk)
2. Zander de Bruyn
3. Jacques Rudolph
4. Martin van Jaarsveld
5. Graeme Smith
6. Ashwell Prince
7. Justin Ontong
8. Justin Kemp
9. Neil McKenzie
10. Pieter Strydom
11. Boeta Dippenaar
12. Gehardus Liebenberg
13. HD Ackerman
14, Mark Boucher (wk)
15. Adam Bacher
16. Herschelle Gibbs
17. Jacques Kallis
18. Rudi Steyn
19. John Commins
20. Gary Kirsten
21. Daryll Cullinan
22. Jonty Rhodes
22. Brian McMillan
23. Jimmy Cook
24. Kepler Wessels (first test back and guys below)
25. Mark Rushmere
26. Dave Richardson (wk)
27. Adrian Kuiper
28. Peter Kirsten
29. Andrew Hudson
30. Hansie Cronje

Last edited:

SeamUp

Vinnie Barnes just sent this to me re: A tours

We got 2 tours a year now. Tour to Windies in June and SL touring here in October
Wonder if India/Australia have ditched us.