• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Spineless pathetic bastards...

wpdavid

We come back to: 'you don't cross the line' thing. Where is the line? who draws the line? McGrath brought that on himself and I think he felt pretty awful afterwards. I read his book a couple of years ago and Sarwan said that he didn't even know McGrath was married let alone the fact that the poor girl was seriously ill (correct me if I am wrong). Didn't McGrath apologise to Sarwan?
Looks like to know more about the aftermath than I do. All credit to McGrath if he did apologise.

91Jmay

Really? The two women closest to you in life having a very public and bitter dispute wouldn't have some effect on you? 100s of people joyously singing about it while you're playing cricket wouldn't strike you as a bit off colour?

Jeez, I think you must be a bit of a **** mate. :ph34r:
What have I told you about thinking Burgey?

Perhaps I would be more annoyed at the two women closest to me in my life having a dispute in public rather than doing it in private. Not like they couldn't find a way to contact each other is it. Frankly, If i was a professional athlete I'd expect it just as I expect Trott will get stick if he ever tours Aus/West Indies/South Africa again.

Ausage

Oi, why are you so fat??.............because every time I **** your wife she gives me a biscuit.

So what does Brian Laras cock taste like?.........I dunno, ask your wife.
The pretty obvious difference is that none of those sledges were based on reality. AFAIK none of those players were actually ****ing anyone's wife.

Does any other sport hold fans to the same standards of decency as players?
Well no, but neither do we give them free passes. At least not in the sports that I follow. Petro Civoniciva and Adam Goodes publicly calling out fans who made racist comments are recent examples of fans behavior being publicly exposed. Both were given life bans to the grounds where the offense occurred.

How anyone can be offended by that Mitchell Johnson song I have no idea. Goodness me, his mom and girlfriend don't like each other. What a terrifying and menacing barb.
The problem is it's not up to anyone but the individual to make a call on when they're offended. Nowhere in life is there a "list of offensive things" that people are only allowed to be offended about. That's why defining all this line rubbish doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

If we go with the only working definition anyone seems to be able to agree on, it crosses the line because it's about an off-field issue.

Debris

Yes, it is obvious. McGrath was a hypocritical asshole in that instance who wanted to dish it out but didn't want to take it. Much like Jimmy Anderson recently. Bottomline, you run your mouth, you prepare for the worst in return.
His wife was dying of cancer so I can understand the reaction. He was in no mental state to be playing in that game and something that he would have normally just shrugged off upset him.

Son Of Coco

Yes, it is obvious. McGrath was a hypocritical asshole in that instance who wanted to dish it out but didn't want to take it. Much like Jimmy Anderson recently. Bottomline, you run your mouth, you prepare for the worst in return.
The issue was his wife had cancer mate...if he reacted that way every time a player said something to him on the field then you might have a point,

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Can only imagine what Sarwan was thinking when McGrath was threatening to tear his throat out. Must have been so "uhh wtf?"

Cooky Monster

Well done lads, well fought, after that opening partnership we only lost the 10 wickets for 170 odd.

To think how much i was looking forward to these 10 matches, apart the first 2 its been appalling stuff from England ever since bar 1 inspired Broad spell in Durham.

Remember all the kerfuffle over the '3rd gear' comments during the 1st series? still stand by that, this is barely 1st gear, we needed 4th/5th gear to win this series, we were never going to win it playing at the same level we did in our summer, i reckon a fair few of the players thought all they had to do was turn up and they would win, at least subconciously.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Take your gear argument and hit the road pal. Had enough of that junk. England have been put on their knees by ruthlessly executed plans from the Australian camp. Nothing that has happened is anything that we didn't try to tell you is happening last series.

Last edited:

Daemon

What? He admitted Australia have played well but what's wrong with him saying England have been rather ****?

Daemon

I don't know much about this gear thing but England have been ****, which was the gist of his post. He later agreed they have been **** because Australia have played well, so what's the issue?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't know much about this gear thing but England have been ****, which was the gist of his post. He later agreed they have been **** because Australia have played well, so what's the issue?
Kaka boom

Adders

Dead bloody right. No idea WTF Benchy's agenda is but apparently you're not allowed to say your own team has played ****e without blowing ten gallons of sunshine up your oppositions arse.

FFS Benchy, your side is the best side to have ever played the game. We've been outdone by a side that would lay to dust the 80's Windies and then pummel the nougties Aussies.......best cricket side I've ever seen and then some. To have flogged our boys like this whilst they are all at the peak of their powers is some feat.........nothing to do but tip our hats to the Mighty Aussies, here begins another 15 year domination.

benchmark00

Short memories. Not surprising.

Funny how when what happens in England, happens again in Australia, except that Australia's batsmen are in a bit better nick, English bowlers aren't used to the conditions, all of a sudden it's out of the blue surprising!

Maybe you should have listened when we were all telling you what the problem was, and it had nothing to do with England being in 1st or 3rd gear. Get a grip.