• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The quintessence of cricket

doesitmatter

So many i like..
1) Hook or the pull shot.
2) Good back foot punch
3) Leg-cutter taking the edge of the bat and the batsman getting caught behind.
4) spinner drawing the batsman forward and getting the batsman stumped
5) Tail-ender or tail-enders saving a match or scoring runs (this i like only when the team you support does it)

Something unique to cricket is it is probably the only game which is played for 5 days and still there is no winner..

Hurricane

After two wickets have fallen quickly in a test and the next two batsman batten down the hatches for 5 overs.

fredfertang

Hot summer's day with plenty of time on my hands, wander past a village green where a game is in progress and sit and watch for half an hour - better still if the local pub is nearby

benchmark00

Having my girlfriend sit on my lap while I tell a bunch of people I don't know that Gavin Larsen is a better one day bowler than Brett Lee and Waqar Younis.

fredfertang

Having my girlfriend sit on my lap while I tell a bunch of people I don't know that Gavin Larsen is a better one day bowler than Brett Lee and Waqar Younis.
Make it someone else's girlfriend, get her to give you a silly moustache with her eyeliner and you'll look just like Allen Stanford

smalishah84

The Tiger King
the stumps cartwheeling out of the pitch and the bails flying away......just such an awesome sight....and that sound that comes from the mic at the disturbing of the furniture.....just orgasmic

CricAddict

I know that there are many here who hate stats, but one thing I love the most about cricket is stats.. Not sure which other sport has so much of stats with varied number crunching that can be done..

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think it's more the way people use stats in debates and as validation that people hate, rather than the fact there's so much out there that people so inclined can investigate/play around with.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The idea that the most enjoyable part of cricket for anyone is stats is just alien to me.

Love the slip reference, it's so true, especially so in lower grades of cricket where a good slipper is rare.

Also, playing on a ripping pitch with some bounce, and there's that few seconds while the ball zings past the batsman; a bit of a gap before the keeper takes the ball fingers up.

CricAddict

definitely agree with gimh

although i guess yeah, not as the most enjoyable part
Yeah, may be I didn't put it out well..Its not stats that I enjoy the most about cricket..
but compared to other sports, I like it that cricket has so much stats to play around with..

Anyway, to each, his own here..I was answering to the opening post "What, for you, is most uniquely "cricket"?" more than "Which is the most enjoyable part of cricket"

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The idea that the most enjoyable part of cricket for anyone is stats is just alien to me.

Love the slip reference, it's so true, especially so in lower grades of cricket where a good slipper is rare.

Also, playing on a ripping pitch with some bounce, and there's that few seconds while the ball zings past the batsman; a bit of a gap before the keeper takes the ball fingers up.
definitely agree with gimh

although i guess yeah, not as the most enjoyable part
Yeah it's not even close to nthe most enjoyable for me either, just to clarify.