• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ultimate pace secrets

Ponty

I just wanted you guys to know that my third book, Ultimate Pace Secrets, is being published in the next few weeks. The book, for those of you with even a slight interest in pace bowling, can read more here: Ultimate Pace Secrets by Ian Pont - MCI - Mavericks Cricket Institute

For the record:

1. it contains nothing about Atul Sharma
2. please refer to point one

Ultimate Pace Secrets follows on from The Fast Bowler's Bible (2006), but it contains new information such as the four tent pegs, stretch reflex, the fabled drop step & front foot block plus the most common mistakes and how to correct them, and the skill drills.

Unlike my other books, I am self-publishing this one so I have no marketing behind it and can only rely on word of mouth or those genuinely interested in the subject tweeting or social networking. It means it is only available direct from MCI Home - Mavericks Cricket Institute

Thanks guys....

Daemon

Would probably increase sales 10 fold if you mentioned him in a sentence or two

Will give it a shout out on twitter to my Singaporean friends that don't watch cricket.

Dan

Global Moderator
Mr. Sharma has had quite a resurgence on here in the past few weeks.

Anyway, I own your book Coaching Youth Cricket and found it incredibly helpful and useful. Are there any other books that you suggest in terms of general coaching? (Once I am a bit more experienced I will probably pick up The Fast Bowler's Bible and more specific guides.)

Hurricane

If atul sharma was mentioned I would have purchased. You could have revealed who came up with the wood chopping drill.

Ponty

If atul sharma was mentioned I would have purchased. You could have revealed who came up with the wood chopping drill.
LOL.. wood chopping drill is a javelin throwers drill. Simplistic version is the medicine ball throw I guess.

Only buy my book if you are serious about pace bowling. It's not a Harry Potter novel ;-)

fredfertang

So if a young fast bowler, or even a middle-aged pedant, was interested in your opinion as to the best fast bowling action on show today, and from the past, what would that be?

Agent Nationaux

I wish the PCB would have hired you as our bowling coach Mr Pont. Our fast bowling is pathetic at the moment.

Last edited:

Ponty

So if a young fast bowler, or even a middle-aged pedant, was interested in your opinion as to the best fast bowling action on show today, and from the past, what would that be?
If they were "interested in my opinion" it would be Brett Lee. From the past, Frank Tyson.

fredfertang

If they were "interested in my opinion" it would be Brett Lee. From the past, Frank Tyson.
Well this middle aged pedant certainly is, and he's also interested in the inevitable follow-up question as to which "successful" fast bowler's action would be the worst for a young pace bowler to model himself on - I appreciate that "successful" is a bit vague but I hope you know what I mean - and if the answer is Lasith Malinga whose would be the next worst to copy? :)

benchmark00

I've heard a number of pace secrets in the past. How can you convince me that these are the 'ultimate' pace secrets?

Ponty

Well this middle aged pedant certainly is, and he's also interested in the inevitable follow-up question as to which "successful" fast bowler's action would be the worst for a young pace bowler to model himself on - I appreciate that "successful" is a bit vague but I hope you know what I mean - and if the answer is Lasith Malinga whose would be the next worst to copy? :)
Malinga actually has a good action (biomechanically) and much of his positions are excellent. It's simply he has a 'shearing' rotational force that takes his arm unusually low compared to more 'classic' bowlers.

Sohail Tavir would be someone who doesn't maxmise his assets (biomechanically) and there are others who bowl from the wrong side of the body (release the ball outside their non-bowling hip width).

Any action that involves a large later flexion (fall to covers) is a no-no for obvious injury situations, and a complete collapse of the front leg (very bent) is also not ideal.

the book covers all this though ;-)