• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will win the World Cup?

Kimbo

Portugal...
I hope. Actually I only say that because they are my favourites.

The Argonaut

Argentina though I'd like to see a country that hasn't won it before get up. Portugal, Spain or Cameroon would do.

Anon2

I want Brazil to win, but I doubt it. Their team has gone down loads in the last few years, since Dunga left.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Portugal...
I hope. Actually I only say that because they are my favourites.
U-S-A, U-S-A... Oh dear, Portugal were abysmal, I have rarely seen worse defending, even counting the vast majority of U11 and U12 games I have reffed...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I want Brazil to win, but I doubt it. Their team has gone down loads in the last few years, since Dunga left.
And the rest of the players whose defending was at least average.

Outside bet for the World Cup - Brazil to crash to Japan in Round Two.

And I say Argentina 2-1 against Italy in the Final.

[Edited on 6/5/02 by Neil Pickup]

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
USA fully deserved the win, they were the better side but Portugal were abysmal. Korea and Portugal to qualify.

James

Cricket Web Owner
France are gone :O

Shame really as they're a class side and have some wonderful players. Lady luck just wasn't on their side.

Japan are looking very strong! Maybe they could make it quite far... home support counts for so much these days...

Kimbo

Well, Portugal came back nicely against Poland, fingers crossed they carry that on.
I was also pleased to see that the USA didn't beat Korea. But in saying that, Korea looked the better side- pity they couldn't get the penalty in. I kinda knew it wasn't going in before it was struck, one of those sinking feelings- like in cricket when a ball gets hit high to the worst fielder in the side, and you don't even get excited.

Kimbo

I just read that France lost 2-0 to denmark... amazing, who would have picked France to do so badly.
Good to see senegal has got through to the next stage too.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
France are gone :O

Shame really as they're a class side and have some wonderful players. Lady luck just wasn't on their side.
Au contraire. I think the French have had extreme amunts of luck in the last 4 years, and their true level is nowhere near the level they think it is.

Look at the facts. On home soil they twice scraped through, and would've been beaten in the final by Holland - but ended up playing against "Team Nike"

In Euro 2000 they survived a last minute penalty in the quarter finals to go out, then won in the semis due to a dodgy penalty, and only scraped through the final with a last minute equalizer to take it to golden goal extra time.

They whinge like anything - after the first game they were tired from the long season - and I suppose every other player at the World Cup had had 3 months off?

After the second game it was the referee's fault - Yeah I can see their point - maybe they play better with 9 men than with 10, because the main mistake the referee made was not sending off Petit IMO.

Waiting to see their excuse for today! What a farce it is to see FIFA's official man of the match today was Zidane - erm what did he do exactly?

Rich2001

I agree Marc, also any team that is not capble of scoring a single goal in three games agaist teams that were weaker on paper (no disrepect to anyone following those teams) doesn't deserve to go through.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yep agreed Rich, Marc. No team who can't score in 270+ minutes of football deserves to progress. Even Ecuador and Tunisia have got the ball in the back of the net. And Tunisia were very unlucky not to get 3 points against Belgium.

And what does everyone think of Mohammed Al-Deayea (Saudi Keeper)?

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Good point marc

everyone thought france would win the WorldCup this year again , but i knew they wouldnt

you cant really say " oh they are missing some players " cause even Brazil are ( Romario and Emerson )

Anyway im a hardcore brazil fan so go Brazil and Senegal :P