• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wonderful quotes

Sudeep

No, this is not an excuse to start a Douglas Adams thread, although I will post a few of his quotes. :)

One of my favourite quotes:

"I believe in God, only I call it Nature."
-- Franklin Lloyd Wright

And one by DNA:

"If you cannot open the door of a bedroom, you cannot sleep in its bed."
-- Douglas Adams

Fire away, with your favourites.

Robertinho

Also a fan of

"Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more.
"

-- William Shakespeare

Robertinho

"He was a genius - that is to say, a man who does superlatively and without obvious effort something that most people cannot do by the uttermost exertion of their abilities."

-- Robertson Davies

Sudeep

Good ol' PG.

"The fascination of shooting as a sport depends almost wholly on whether you are at the right or wrong end of the gun."
- PG Wodehouse

andyc

I love going down to the elementary school, watching all the kids jump and shout, but they dont know Im using blanks.

On the other hand, we have different fingers.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

Maybe in order to understand mankind we have to look at that word itself. MANKIND. Basically, it's made up of two separate words "mank"and "ind." What do these words mean? It's a mystery and that's why so is mankind.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.
--- Jack Handey

I stumbled upon some of his 'Deep Thoughts' and really liked them. These ones are just some I found really quickly on Google.

Sudeep

Don't remember the exact quote, but it was Jono or Slow Love (don't remember exactly), who came up with the whole "Butt's cramping" quote. Brilliant.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A quote on the lines of success is not a spark but a series of efforts adding up. I dont know it exactly but it comes on ESPN-star.

FaaipDeOiad

A few Orwell gems:

"In every one of those little stucco boxes there's some poor ******* who's never free except when he's fast asleep and dreaming that he's got the boss down the bottom of a well and is bunging lumps of coal at him."
(on working class life in Britan, from The Road To Wigan Pier)

"In our time, political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. Things like the continuance of British rule in India, the Russian purges and deportations, the dropping of the atom bombs on Japan, can indeed be defended, but only by arguments which are too brutal for most people to face, and which do not square with the professed aims of the political parties. Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism., question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness. Defenseless villages are bombarded from the air, the inhabitants driven out into the countryside, the cattle machine-gunned, the huts set on fire with incendiary bullets: this is called pacification."
(from Politics And The English Language)

"At 50, everyone has the face he deserves."
(and... on getting old ;))

Robertinho

"Blaze with the fire that is never extinguished." - Luisa Sigea

"He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever." - Proverb

"Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still." - Proverb

"There are two ways of exerting one's strength: one is pushing down, the other is pulling up." - Booker T. Washington

"Deep doubts, deep wisdom; small doubts, little wisdom." - Proverb

"The strongest man in the world is the man who stands alone." - Thomas H. Huxley

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." - Proverb

Burpey

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

"Anyone who sacks a bloke because he doesn't turn up for work today is a bum" - Bob Hawke

pug

Mark Twain and George Orwell have some of the classiest quotes.

But here are some relatively less quoted gems from famous authors-

Issac Asimov:
It pays to be obvious, especially if you have a reputation for subtlety.

Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right!

Gratitude is best and most effective when it does not evaporate itself in empty phrases.

A particular event may be infinitesimally probable, but the probability is always greater than zero.

Aldous Huxley:
There was something called liberalism. Parliament, if you know what that was, passed a law against it. The records survive. Speeches about liberty of the subject. Liberty to be inefficient and miserable. Freedom to be a round peg in a square hole.

There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self.

Neal Stephenson:

Laws of physics and mathematics are like a coordinate system that runs in only one dimension. Perhaps there is another dimension perpendicular to it, invisible to those laws of physics, describing the same things with different rules, and those rules are written in our hearts, in a deep place where we cannot go and read them except in our dreams.

James90

From one of those 'Christmas crackers, explode, get the trinket inside and a joke' jokes

Q: Why is an elephant big, grey and wrinkly

A: Because if it was white, small and smooth it would be an asprin

Robertinho

James90 said:
From one of those 'Christmas crackers, explode, get the trinket inside and a joke' jokes

Q: Why is an elephant big, grey and wrinkly

A: Because if it was white, small and smooth it would be an asprin
Um, that's a joke, not a quote..

Linda

andyc said:
I love going down to the elementary school, watching all the kids jump and shout, but they dont know Im using blanks.

On the other hand, we have different fingers.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

Maybe in order to understand mankind we have to look at that word itself. MANKIND. Basically, it's made up of two separate words "mank"and "ind." What do these words mean? It's a mystery and that's why so is mankind.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.
--- Jack Handey

I stumbled upon some of his 'Deep Thoughts' and really liked them. These ones are just some I found really quickly on Google.
Hahaha, yes! Jack Handey is a legend.