• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup V Olympics

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The Olympics is huge, obviously, but the only time I have really felt excited about it was when it was held in London a few years back. Whereas the World Cup is just great regardless - there's always an excitement and atmosphere about it that nothing else manages to capture. Genuinely the best sporting thing in the world for me.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
For me it's the Olympics, mainly due to the (usual) time differences. I won't really watch either of them live too often due to where they are held. The events in the Olympics that I mostly have interest in can be cut up and rebroadcast the next day, and it will hold my interest. There are more things that I'm interested in sitting down and having a look at even though I haven't watched it live. In the end, with the WC, I'll end up just watching the highlights on the news the next day, and I know that I'm missing a whole heap of the experience.

The World Cup was fantastic when it was in Korea/Japan and you could experience it as a shared event with mates but in reality we don't get that proper communal experience all that often. Even something like heading into public venues such as Fed Square to watch Australia play, not the same when it's at 4am in the morning.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The worst thing about both events is the BBC coverage of them, for mine.

God I hate Clare Balding so much. And Lineker. And all of them for that matter. Gah.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
For me it's the Olympics, mainly due to the (usual) time differences. I won't really watch either of them live too often due to where they are held. The events in the Olympics that I mostly have interest in can be cut up and rebroadcast the next day, and it will hold my interest. There are more things that I'm interested in sitting down and having a look at even though I haven't watched it live. In the end, with the WC, I'll end up just watching the highlights on the news the next day, and I know that I'm missing a whole heap of the experience.

The World Cup was fantastic when it was in Korea/Japan and you could experience it as a shared event with mates but in reality we don't get that proper communal experience all that often. Even something like heading into public venues such as Fed Square to watch Australia play, not the same when it's at 4am in the morning.
I feel your pain for 3 weeks of this one brother. Working hours make it much easier to cope with though

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The worst thing about both events is the BBC coverage of them, for mine.

God I hate Clare Balding so much. And Lineker. And all of them for that matter. Gah.
As if BBC's football coverage is anywhere near as bad as ITV

FaaipDeOiad

In terms of preference it's the World Cup pretty easily for me. Olympics is background noise type material. I like it just fine and I'll watch the big events each time, but if it never happened again I really wouldn't care that much. The World Cup is something I look forward to for months and re-arrange my schedule to be able to watch etc.

More significant event I'd probably go with World Cup too, but it's close. People care way more about the World Cup in countries where it is important, but it doesn't cover everyone. In countries where the sport isn't that big people obviously care more about the Olympics, and it's more inclusive of the whole world given the spectrum of events etc. I just can't rate it as more important because I don't think it's really something people are that passionate about.

Pothas

Yeah just no contest here, World Cup is so much better.

I do always enjoy the Olympics when they are on but I forget about them ever so quickly.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In terms of preference it's the World Cup pretty easily for me. Olympics is background noise type material. I like it just fine and I'll watch the big events each time, but if it never happened again I really wouldn't care that much. The World Cup is something I look forward to for months and re-arrange my schedule to be able to watch etc.

More significant event I'd probably go with World Cup too, but it's close. People care way more about the World Cup in countries where it is important, but it doesn't cover everyone. In countries where the sport isn't that big people obviously care more about the Olympics, and it's more inclusive of the whole world given the spectrum of events etc. I just can't rate it as more important because I don't think it's really something people are that passionate about.
It's taken 9 years (!!) but I completely agree with you

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Thought it was the Olympics up until I was 18/19. World Cup by a bit now for mine.

I find your lack of poll disturbing.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Would love to know what has more advertising dollar expenditure. Reckon the WC may sneak it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Would love to know what has more advertising dollar expenditure. Reckon the WC may sneak it.
It will do I'd say because the Olympics doesn't allow advertising in the arena, so to speak. No hoardings, etc

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah true good point, though in my head I guess I just meant mass media (i.e. TV, radio, newspapers, online etc.).

Still reckon World Cup may pip it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah true good point, though in my head I guess I just meant mass media (i.e. TV, radio, newspapers, online etc.).

Still reckon World Cup may pip it.
The only thing I could see swinging it the other way is the US market