• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Year 10 Student Granted 'Smoko' Breaks

cameeel

Code:
A YEAR 10 student has been given permission to take cigarette breaks at school
 because her doctor says she is clinically addicted to nicotine.

Tara Lewis, 16, who smokes as much as a packet a day, is allowed to smoke 
between classes to relieve the "stress" of her studies.

Canberra's Stromlo High School has granted the concession to the teenager 
despite the ACT Government boasting of plans to tighten laws to stop underage 
smoking.It is also illegal to supply cigarettes to under 18s.

The Government has for years allowed smoking for year 11 and 12 students at five 
colleges and will introduce a total ban only from next year.

Tara said that it was a "massive" relief to be able to smoke at school.

"As soon as I've got a cigarette in my hand, I'm calmer," she said.

Stromlo High School gave her permission for "smoko" breaks following advice from 
her mother Patrece and her family doctor.

"We were worried she wasn't going to finish year 10 if she couldn't smoke," Ms 
Lewis, 35, said.

Anti-smoking campaigner Anne Jones said the school was reckless in facilitating 
Tara's addiction.
I'm no lawyer, but isn't it illegal for somebody to buy an under-18 cigarettes?

And why the hell are the school advocating a Year 10 student chain-smoking at school, it kind of makes a mockery of the ACT's smoking policy.

Hoggy31

So f'ing what, she's not the first youth pack-a-day smoker and won't be the last. Her choice, really.

cameeel

So f'ing what, she's not the first youth pack-a-day smoker and won't be the last. Her choice, really.
The issue is more that the school has condoned it and given her time-off during classes to do it. There's nothing newsworthy about a dropkick schoolkid smoking a pack-a-day, but when it's condoned by a school it's a different story alltogether.

Hoggy31

Was pretty much replying to Perm's comment which I gather was implying she was screwed up. (may be wrong)

The condonement by the school would've pretty much been a last resort really, she would've been skipping classes to go have a smoke etc. Better she do it with the school's knowledge rather than her taking extreme measures.

Perm

Was pretty much replying to Perm's comment which I gather was implying she was screwed up. (may be wrong)

The condonement by the school would've pretty much been a last resort really, she would've been skipping classes to go have a smoke etc. Better she do it with the school's knowledge rather than her taking extreme measures.
Nope, wasn't saying that at all. Was more referring to how the school are allowing this girl to smoke between classes. I thought most schools would be smoke-free, or would promote themselves as such. Also seems odd that the school would allow this to happen with her being too young to legally buy cigarettes.

Linda

Surely she would be better served being helped off the ciggies by the school, rather than encouraged ffs. God what a joke.

cpr

Christ, what next, 16 year old nymphomaniacs allowed to go behind the bike shed between lessions to work towards her dream council house by 18?

James90

Waiting for them to offer cadavers to help necrophiliacs deal with the stress of school.