• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group F - Ireland, Pakistan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka

KiWiNiNjA

wow.. so lets asume u r an umpire and i come to u and say that I am concern about the the amount of unbelievable swing that Gul is geting can you check the ball .. I am not accusing Gul of ball Tampering..then why I am asking the umpire to check the ball out.. why i am raising the concern at the first place?

off course the Media is going to blow this out of proportion..The match was played in The Oval.. I am not the only one who is reacting to this.. read the whole article.. pakistani captain, pakistani coach, PCB Chairman and even farmer pakistani coach Geoff Lawson who was commentating is reacting to this..

After reading this i lost respect for him simply because it isn't his first time that he is doing this..like i said in my previous post.. i remember back in 07 Twenty 20 world cup in a press conferenss he raised the same concern about Imran nazir using a runner after they lost in the Semi final to Pakistan.. it seems to me that he keeps taking shot at pakistan rather than improving his team against Pakistan..
This....
It's not an accusation - ball reverses a bit sooner than has been the norm this year, Vettori mentions it in passing to the referee, referee states nothing underhand took place, Vettori is happy with that.

Days of Grace

Who gives a ****. Another storm in the teacup, FFS.

Has everyone forgotten there's a game on tonight?

BTW, so ****ing sick of NZ getting injuries all over the place.

Uppercut

AWTA. Vettori queried it, the match officials cleared it up, Vettori said "sure, no problem" and they all moved on.

Now back to the cricket, what's the NZ side look like for tonight? Taylor still out?

Smith

Banned
AWTA. Vettori queried it, the match officials cleared it up, Vettori said "sure, no problem" and they all moved on.

Now back to the cricket, what's the NZ side look like for tonight? Taylor still out?
Yeah, true, but Pakistanis had every right to react to the indirect accusation by Vettori. Anyway past is past.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't want add petrol to troubled waters, but to my way of thinking raising the question with the umps is an implied accusation. If there was no suggestion of anything untoward Vettori would've just mentioned it to his teammates, surely?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ball reverse swinging after such a short amount of time is a relevant reason to ask the question.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yep. It's just asking the question, it's not accusing anyone of anything.
How so?

Asking the arbiters a question makes no sense unless there's a suggestion their services might be required.

EDIT: not saying Vettori was wrong to ask or even he was mistaken that something untoward had occured, but I don't how it isn't an implied accusation at least.

Uppercut

How so?

Asking the arbiters a question makes no sense unless there's a suggestion their services might be required.

EDIT: not saying Vettori was wrong to ask or even he was mistaken that something untoward had occured, but I don't how it isn't an implied accusation at least.
I'd define accusing someone of something as, "they did this" as opposed to turning to someone and asking, "did they do that?" Like, if i turned to Athlai and asked, "is BoyBrumby gay?" it wouldn't quite be accusing you of being gay. It's a genuine question.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd define accusing someone of something as, "they did this" as opposed to turning to someone and asking, "did they do that?" Like, if i turned to Athlai and asked, "is BoyBrumby gay?" it wouldn't quite be accusing you of being gay. It's a genuine question.
The leading question betrays a suspicion on the questioners part tho, surely? It's an implied suggestion rather than an outright statement.

&, despite my appearance and general demeanor, I can confirm that no I'm not. :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not really. Not sufficiently to be anything more than a storm in a teacup anyway.
Have to agree to disagree there then.

As I said, I'm not suggesting Vettori was wrong to ask, in fact as the captain if he suspects skullbuggery he'd be in dereliction of his duty not to, but I don't think there's too much doubt that there's an implied suggestion in his asking.

Scaly piscine

The implication is definitely there (assuming media reports are accurate). He's basically asking the umpires whether they saw Pakistan cheating.

Anyway come on Sri Lanka.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Thank Christ that Taylor is back.

Pretty farcical that Oram is still in while Franklin gets dropped.