• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

morgieb

Why is everyone complaining about the Batsmen alone?

Can't expect to win the game if the bowlers can't pick up 20 wickets.
Yeah fair call. Problem is, that most of our bowlers have 1. been bowling on roads and 2. seem to be good without being spectacular. So whatever you do, won't solve the problem that well. So as long as Doherty's not picked any more.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
PEWS to be fair Cosgroves performing pretty decently, it's just that CA don't want to set a bad example by picking an overweight player. I want to see Copeland get a chance next year.
That's why I said "various reasons". He's a good batsman, but he hasn't kicked on the way they'd like.

stephen

Nah, don't agree at all. Selection really shouldn't be that hard - you should pick your best team for each match. This sort of age-progression thinking you're advocating is exactly why we've seen North in the team for so long - he's there to act as the experienced head in his 30s when Ponting, Hussey and Katich go. If they didn't try to get too funky with it and pick players based on how old they'll be when others retire I seriously think he'd have been gone long ago.

As I said before, the problem Australia are experiencing (with the batting at least) is that a whole sub-generation of batsmen failed to kick on as expected. If you have a look at the 25-31 age rage for batting contenders, you've got Clarke and Watson (playing), and then a whole host of former prodigies who have fallen away for one reason or another. Marsh, Cosgrove, Bailey, Pomersbach, Ferguson, Voges, Cowan etc have not have the success at First Class level that their predecessors did, so Australia are trying to build a team of players outside their prime. Inexperience and terminal decline - a great mix. The serious contenders - Hughes, Dave Hussey, Khawaja, Smith - are all out of this range. No amount of "blooding" (a word I really hate as it always implies picking someone for the case of youth) mediocre young players would've changed that.
So pick the young guys and give them an extended run. Imagine if Hughes had have had the last two years of test matches instead of being sidelined after two poor tests.

We need to do something and it seems that the most successful players are picked when they're too young and given a free run for a while to find their feet.

vcs

Well, the actual settler will be how England bat on a wicket that's doing a bit (which they will surely have to at some stage) and how Australia bowl in the same situation.

The last two England innings have been on roads against guys bowling quite poorly for the most part. They've made the most of it, and that reflects the current standings of the series.

Australia will have to lift their bowling efforts though to take advantage of any situation where they might get a chance to roll England over cheaply. As the 1st innings in Brisbane showed, a little bit in the wicket and even just one to two bowlers hitting the right lines and things can get difficult.

If they do manage to bowl England out cheaply, then they have to actually bat well.

I think you have to look at the conditions up to this point when assessing batting performances. England are not as far ahead in the batting stakes as 2 big innings on flat tracks suggest. But are miles ahead in the bowling department at the moment.

Suggesting they're impossible to get out based on the last two innings is a little like suggesting everyone was wrong to suggest Swann would struggle a bit in Oz based on him just taking 5 in the second innings in Adelaide on a wicket everyone basically agreed he should go well on the last 2 days.

Australia have to lift dramatically to turn it around though.
AWTA.

The difference between the two sides in ability is not as vast as it seems right now. However, on actual performance, England have outdone Australia by a vast margin so far. But at some point I'd expect Australia to fight back.

vicleggie

Cam White to get the captaincy.

If only he could bat.
wouldnt be a bad idea
ganguly and vaughan both had periods where they stayed in the team- and were easily not in the best 6 batsman in their country .
whites leadership is excellent- a real aggressive alpha male, unlike anyone in the current team- thats what they need- someone with some confidence in themselves and their tactics

have him at 6

Athlai

Not Terrible
And he adds that spin option if conditions suit (not a great one but hey hardly a better option in the country) as well as a solid slip fieldsman.

White! Get him in thur.

Hughes
Watson
Klinger
Clarke
Hussey
White (c)
Haddin (+)
Vettori
Harris
Johnson
Bollinger

vcs

If it's raining in Adelaide right now, a certain Michael Clarke will really be kicking himself...

Spark

Global Moderator
Hard to play with a broken hand tbf

If it's raining in Adelaide right now, a certain Michael Clarke will really be kicking himself...
I was surprised that he didn't put his hand through a TV set last night. Looked shattered.

He surely must have now.

So frustrating... just five balls!

Last edited: