• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Senanayake banned

Burgey

He was in sl's touring squad and set foot in a country they were touring, passing on the secrets of his dark art.

Tainted.

Burgey

Almost reaching Tony Abbott levels of stupidity in my "tainted" posting here.

****, I could become PM

jonbrooks

Wow! Didn't expect this result. ICC does seem to be cracking down on filthy actions and it is high time they did. A bit sour that this didn't happen before the T20 world cup.
Great if the ICC had cracked down on it back in the mid 90s ...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Great if the ICC had cracked down on it back in the mid 90s ...
Your thoughts on this matter sound interesting. Please tell us more. I am particularly curious to hear about which bowlers you think should have been cracked down on.

Daemon

^^ According to his hand position, looks more a carom ball or a front of the hand leggie. For a doosra, back of the palm will be visible to us.
That's just a picture of him bowling with a kink in his arm tbf, don't think zaremba's trying to say that was his doosra

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Moeen's doosra looks pretty legit to my (admittedly myopic) eyes.

Struggles to land it on the cut strip, like, but probably not a chuck.

watson

Banned
This not so recent news is all rather surprising if it is true;

The International Cricket Council set to rid 'chuckers' from the game with 'wearable technology'

CRICKET'S long and controversial battle to boot chuckers out of the game is nearing a revolutionary solution with dodgy bowlers likely to be forced to wear hi-tech sensors during international matches.

Almost from the moment cricket sanctioned overarm bowling in 1864, the game has had to tackle allegations of bowlers who illegally throw the ball by straightening a bent arm.

But now chuckers could be an endangered species thanks to a hi-tech project which is reaching its final phase.

Australian and overseas researchers, in collaboration with the International Cricket Council, are developing "wearable technology" which will enable bowlers with questionable actions to be cited during matches.

Suspect bowlers would be made to wear small devices attached to their arms that calculate their elbow flex and send the information back to computers in the stands during matches.

The current system of citing players and making them undergo laboratory testing within a month has been criticised because bowlers can potentially legalise their actions for testing but then revert to bowling illegally during matches.

The technology could be available to wear in matches within 18 months.

ICC general manager of cricket Geoff Allardice, who updated a MCC world cricket committee on the latest developments, sees no reason why it will not be introduced into international cricket.

"The committee was told that ICC are now working out the final phase of the three-stage project, and that excellent progress is being made not only to develop the technology to enable cricketers to be tested for 'throwing' in match conditions," a statement said.

"This has been a contentious issue for cricket since over-arm bowling was introduced, and the project could provide a platform for a consistent solution to the problem at all levels of the game."

If it comes to fruition, the funky solution could solve the chucking problem.

Not only would it force dodgy bowlers to fix their actions, it could also clear some legal bowlers who have found themselves under a cloud of suspicion.

Aboriginal fast bowler Eddie Gilbert, who Don Bradman rated the fastest bowler he faced, was constantly shadowed by allegations his action was illegal and cricket was plagued by an epidemic of illegal actions in the 1950s.

Australian fast bowler Ian Meckiff was famously no-balled for throwing at the Gabba in 1963-64 and three decades later umpire Darrell Hair no-balled Sri Lanka's Muttiah Muralitharan seven times in a Boxing Day Test.

But since Pakistan's Saqlain Mushtaq introduced the "doosra" in the mid-1990s there is a feeling that many bowlers around the world are delivering this ball with an illegal action.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...803616950?nk=4285737e7a8831b9ecf566f7caa82359

ImpatientLime

Arguing the legality of his bowling at any point in time is stupid as only the above is relevant. If you want to argue if 15 degrees is fair though, then armchair it all you want, but at least try to keep in mind that only Sarwan had a totally straight arm when they actually tested it.
I asked this in a previous chucking thread but don't think I saw an answer, so I'll go again just incase.

When it was found that only Sarwan of all the bowlers in international cricket bowled with a perfectly straight arm and that even the likes of Pollock and McGrath were exceeding the then set limits, how exactly were those tests carried out and results formulated?

Migara

CRICKET'S long and controversial battle to boot chuckers out of the game is nearing a revolutionary solution with dodgy bowlers likely to be forced to wear hi-tech sensors during international matches.
Why dodgy ones/ Every one should wear. It would be ****ing hilarious to see fast bowlers with "clean" actions extending it up to 20 degrees when thy bowl yorkers or bouncers.

watson

Banned
Is there any current movement in Australia to start coaching the Doosra and oppose the antipathy of the 'old school'?

Australia turns its back on the Doosra

CONCERNING the doosra, Australia is thinking of turning the other way.

The finger spinner’s wrong-’un had been thought a physiological impossibility until the International Cricket Council began bending the rules to accommodate the bending of the arms. At present, the allowable deviation is 15 per cent.

But at a spin-bowling summit in Brisbane last month, a coterie of former Test spinners decided that they would not teach the doosra to young Australian bowlers because, in their collective opinion, it offends the laws of the game.

Writing in the Adelaide Review, off-spinning great Ashley Mallett said: ‘‘There was unanimous agreement that the off-spinner’s ‘other-one’, the doosra, should not be coached in Australia. I have never seen anyone actually bowl the doosra. It has to be a chuck. Until such time as the ICC declares that all manner of chucking is legal in the game of cricket, I refuse to coach the doosra. All at the spin summit agreed.’’

‘‘All’’ included leg-spinners Shane Warne, Stuart MacGill, Jim Higgs, Terry Jenner and Peter Philpott, offies Gavin Robertson and Mallett, as well as Australian chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch.

Depending on your point of view, the proposed ban on the doosra is a case of Australia cutting off its nose to spite its face, affecting to despise what it cannot have, seizing the high moral ground or even usurping the authority of the ICC.

Cricket Australia says it is none of the above. Operations manager Michael Brown, who convened the summit, said the propriety of the doosra was just one of dozens of ideas to resuscitate spin bowling in a discussion paper that will go to the board later this year.

‘‘For 100 years, we’ve just given the ball to Shane Warne and told him to bowl,’’ said Brown. ‘‘Now we have a strategy and a plan.’’

Warne, unsurprisingly, was outspoken at the summit. It was his idea to add a day to Sheffield Shield games so that spin came into play on the last day, his idea to do away with first-innings points in shield cricket, his idea to scrap 50-over cricket altogether, and his idea to allow bowlers five overs each in Twenty20 cricket instead of four.

The summit discussed captaincy. ‘‘Anyone who knows anything about spin bowling would have been horrified by the field set by Ricky Ponting for Nathan Hauritz and Jason Krejza in recent times,’’ wrote Mallett. ‘‘Often there was a point on the fence. All that does is tell the batsman that the bowler intends to bowl a few long hops outside off-stump.’’

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport...k-on-the-doosra/2009/07/27/1248546678456.html
Miller advocates a ban on the doosra

Former Test off spinner Colin Miller has suggested a simple solution to cricket's throwing problems - a blanket ban on the doosra.

Miller, who now works for Cricket Australia as a selector of umpires for the country's domestic competitions, supports the recent crackdown against off spinners who bowl dodgy doosras but believes the ICC should go a step further.

"I would like to see the doosra banned and I think that would solve all the problems for off spinners," said Miller, who agrees with former West Indies fast bowler Michael Holding, a member of the expert panel that has proposed sweeping changes to throwing laws, that it is nearly impossible to bowl a doosra without chucking it.

Miller said Pakistan's Saqlain Mushtaq, who missed this tour because of knee surgery, was the only off spinner to have gone close to legally turning the ball away from the right-hand batsman.

"At the moment you can't stop kids doing it, because it's still a legal delivery, and kids want that thing in their armoury that makes them more impressive than other kids," Miller said.

"That's one of the reasons I think a blanket ban on the doosra until someone can develop one that's legal will solve a lot of problems."

"Saqlain is probably the closest one to bowling a doosra legally, and even he probably did extend his arm a little bit."

Miller said the recent reporting of Muttiah Muralitharan, Harbhajan Singh, Shoaib Malik and, last week, Pakistan off spinner Mohammad Hafeez, was evidence that the ICC's system was working.

"It's probably not perfect, and personally I'm not a big wrap for 15 degrees (the proposed new limit of flexation for all bowlers), but at least there's now a process and we know what we're going to follow," he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Crick...n-on-the-doosra/2005/01/22/1106334265114.html
I thought that Bedi's observation regarding chucking was interesting;

Bedi calls for ban on doosra after Murali retirement

GALLE: Even as Sri Lanka pulled out all the stops to orchestrate a grand farewell for national hero Muttiah Muralitharan on Sunday, former India skipper and legendary spinner Bishan Singh Bedi raised a lone voice of dissent, lashing out at the International Cricket Council (ICC) for refusing to wake up to the menace of suspect actions.

Bedi, for long stridently opposed to any leniency in norms for bowlers with unorthodox arm and elbow positions, paid tribute to Muralitharan's persistence and personality but questioned the legitimacy of his records, calling for the ICC to ban the doosra in the aftermath of the retirement.

"Murali is a wonderful personality, a thinking cricketer and a crafty bowler but he leaves behind a legacy of chucking," said Bedi. "It is high time the ICC woke up to the possibility of the Test scene being swamped by finger spinners with illegitimate actions."

Bedi, who has had his run-ins with Murali in the past over this issue, said: "I have nothing against Murali. He is a unique bowler unlikely to be copied. But before him, the idea that one could throw the ball and get away with it never crossed an off-spinner's mind. A ten-wicket haul for a bowler is like a batsman scoring centuries in both innings, while I equate a five-wicket haul in an innings with a century. Murali has 66 five-wicket hauls and 22 ten-wicket hauls in Tests, which is a bit hard to believe and could never have been possible without the ICC's leniency. At the end of the day, it is a stigma for any bowler to be called for chucking.

"I strongly feel the ICC should take action to ban the doosra since it just cannot be bowled legally. Ashley Mallett has said the 'doosra is nothing but chucking' and Australian spinners, including Shane Warne, have raised an alarm against coaching it in Australia. Who remembers Saqlain Mushtaq, the man credited with inventing the doosra?"

Last year, some leading lights of Australian spin including Warne, MacGill, coach Terry Jenner, Gavin Robertson and Mallett said they would refuse to coach the doosra and agreed it could never be a legitimate delivery.

"Comparing Murali with the likes of Jim Laker is preposterous," said Bedi. "The ICC's experiments with leniency in elbow angles and subjecting Murali to bowling with a cast on his arm was a sham. A chucker can be spotted easily without technology as he has minimal follow-through. This is because the elbow, rather than the shoulder, comes into play. The shoulder doesn't follow the ball, hence no follow-through."

Bedi, incidentally, feels England spinner Graeme Swann has the cleanest action among contemporary spinners.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ter-Murali-retirement/articleshow/6185010.cms

Last edited:

Maximas

When it was found that only Sarwan of all the bowlers in international cricket bowled with a perfectly straight arm and that even the likes of Pollock and McGrath were exceeding the then set limits, how exactly were those tests carried out and results formulated?
ICC study reveals that 99% of bowlers throw | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo

The biomechanics men - Dr Marc Portus, Professor Bruce Elliott and Dr Paul Hurrion - used cameras shooting at 250 frames per second (ten times the speed of a TV camera) to illustrate phenomena such as adduction and hyper-extension, which can convince an observer watching with the naked eye that the bowler is chucking.

watson

Banned
Seems like an odd thing for Fraser to say. After all, how do definitively prove that someone retired or dead chucked?

As Angus Fraser - another member of the six-man panel - wrote in The Independent, even the likes of Fred Trueman, Dennis Lillee, Curtly Ambrose, Imran Khan, Richard Hadlee, and Ian Botham were found to have exceeded the straightening-limit set by the ICC.

The biomechanics men - Dr Marc Portus, Professor Bruce Elliott and Dr Paul Hurrion - used cameras shooting at 250 frames per second (ten times the speed of a TV camera) to illustrate phenomena such as adduction and hyper-extension, which can convince an observer watching with the naked eye that the bowler is chucking.
Anyway, even if 99% of bowlers chuck (sounds like a daft statement to me) I think that we can safely say that some bowlers chuck worse than others.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

My understanding till now has been that under special circumstances, like Murali's shoulder and others, the doosra can be bowled legally. Is this why Murali was such a divisive figure at the international scene? (Because he provided other off-spinners who were chucking while bowling the doosra an element of authority)