• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shite cooking thread

Burgey

Good thread, this.

I'm a terrible cook. Dab hand at a bbq, but otherwise rubbish, even though I try. Fortunately my fiancée could cook for Australia and is insanely good. What's more, she finds it relaxing and loves it, so even after she's been at work all day she comes home and produces amazing dinners. I try to help but usually get in the way. When I do I get a look which tells me to stay out of knife range.

social

Good wife is generally a great cook but years ago went to a lot of trouble (and no small expense) to make crab cakes from scratch i.e. bought a crab, etc, etc

She took one bite, chucked hers into the bin, got the takeaway menus out of the draw and refilled her glass

I can cook a bit but generally restrict myself to the bbq, spag bol and curries

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

It's consistently amazing to me that people can find cooking relaxing and pleasurable. I'd honestly rather vacuum or do the dishes than cook, ****ing hate it. And I always find myself eating whatever I've made at the end and thinking about how it took longer to cook it than it did to eat it, and that a professional could have done a better job. Obviously something you have to do to some degree, but not my thing.

Adders

I love to cook, but only if I've got time to really go to town with it. Cooking the mid week meat and two veg holds no interest to me so I very rarely do it.......but on the weekend I really do enjoy making a mess of the kitchen over a few beers or glasses of red.

I've had a few epic fails but no pics (only ever take pics of the wins).

Uppercut

It's consistently amazing to me that people can find cooking relaxing and pleasurable. I'd honestly rather vacuum or do the dishes than cook, ****ing hate it. And I always find myself eating whatever I've made at the end and thinking about how it took longer to cook it than it did to eat it, and that a professional could have done a better job. Obviously something you have to do to some degree, but not my thing.
This is madness. Vacuuming is noisy and throws up house dust that makes me sneeze for a couple of hours. Doing the dishes is just losing an underwater wrestling match with a mouldy pot.

What's not to like about cooking? All of the smells, sounds and tastes involved are delicious and you can do it while drinking beer and pumping out music. Then it saves you money, improves your health, impresses girls you like and gives you a sense of accomplishment. It's one of the best uses of time. I'd do it every day if I could be arsed with getting ingredients or cleaning up afterwards.

Tom Halsey

Nah I'm with Faaip. Not that I think vacuuming or doing dishes are anything other than chores either but cooking is a definite chore rather than anything to be enjoyed. I can't find anything in it that isn't boring and as you mention it just creates mess and you need ingredients which are a ballache to sort out. Realise I'm probably in a minority of one on this and it's a more extreme position than even Faaip advocated but I'd honestly rather just be unhealthy and spend a bit more money with the trade-off being not having to cook pretty much ever.

Tom Halsey

Said fried chicken "restaurant" was closed down shortly afterwards actually due an unsatisfactory hygiene inspection, which I wasn't too happy about for more than one reason.

Howe_zat

Said fried chicken "restaurant" was closed down shortly afterwards actually due an unsatisfactory hygiene inspection, which I wasn't too happy about for more than one reason.
When I was there there was a pizza/kebab takeaway in Leeds called Flames. It got shut down because, rumor had it, someone found jizz in their pizza.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Agree with Faaip here. The effort/reward ratio is waaay too low.

Also hate washing up out of any sense of proportion. Generally go 4-6 weeks between bouts. Currently am using paper plates and rinsing the least cruddy looking knife and fork as I go.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha really? That's rather ominous, as iirc it was one of the more seemingly clean and hygienic ones in the immediate area.

harsh.ag

Make dinner for the whole week at one go on Sunday nights and into the freezer they go. Five bowls of rice/rice-noodles with thai or chinese veggies of some kind. The thing I like most about this is I get the luxury of choice in the first few days. Second, I can end up going out to eat a couple of times and that leads to thai/chinese breakfast, which is brilliant when done sparingly. Third, microwavable containers. Easy to store, eat, and wash.

indiaholic

Make dinner for the whole week at one go on Sunday nights and into the freezer they go. Five bowls of rice/rice-noodles with thai or chinese veggies of some kind. The thing I like most about this is I get the luxury of choice in the first few days. Second, I can end up going out to eat a couple of times and that leads to thai/chinese breakfast, which is brilliant when done sparingly. Third, microwavable containers. Easy to store, eat, and wash.
This is the only way to do it. I do enjoy cooking but any hobby can become a chore if forced to do it too often. Prepare everything for the week in one go.

Helps that I do not get bored of eating similar stuff as long as it tastes good.

Tom Halsey

Haha really? That's rather ominous, as iirc it was one of the more seemingly clean and hygienic ones in the immediate area.
Yeah, tbf it reopened pretty quickly IIRC. However, I was put off by it and made Roosters my takeaway of choice which was probably better anyway, because a) they took phone order meaning less faffing about waiting for your order, and b) they did a mean chocolate milkshake.