• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The mouth breathing youtube media uh stars own crappy thread

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't necessarily disagree with this, I just think the bolded is the biggest problem with it.
Well yeah, but this boils down to "the problem with society is that it's made up of humans". Conservatives are fond of saying that human nature is unalterable (which I think is partially true, but partially the result of emergent collective phenomena which can be changed with structural changes), this is one of its most obvious traits.

Relative inequality is a major challenge to every social group of every size.

Ausage

Well yeah, but this boils down to "the problem with society is that it's made up of humans". Conservatives are fond of saying that human nature is unalterable (which I think is partially true, but partially the result of emergent collective phenomena which can be changed with structural changes), this is one of its most obvious traits.

Relative inequality is a major challenge to every social group of every size.
All the more reason to encourage the primacy of the individual. :ph34r:

Spark

Global Moderator
All the more reason to encourage the primacy of the individual. :ph34r:
Well, perhaps, but "encouraging the primacy of the individual" skips the question of said emergent collective phenomena completely, and that is what matters at the societal level. And that's what most economic leftists would ask.

Ausage

Well, perhaps, but "encouraging the primacy of the individual" skips the question of said emergent collective phenomena completely, and that is what matters at the societal level. And that's what most economic leftists would ask.
If there's a way to implement it without force then it sounds good to me. But then we'd be talking about libertarianism, not leftism.

Ikki

I don't doubt his sincerity and I do find his ideas interesting (even if they are, if you know a lot about traditional Christian theology, very, very, very far from original or even remarkable), but geez he provokes some eye rolls with his use and abuse of reductio ad absurdum.

Like this, that I just found after a few minutes of google, is just flagrantly and wilfully dishonest trolling:

I get that he's frustrated at all, but when one of the central planks of your critique is that your opponents fail to engage you in good faith, not a good look. Like I said, I don't think his fanbase is representative of him, but when his Twitter feed is full-on no-compromises 100% culture war, then hard to be shocked by it. Which is a shame, because his academic work I find interesting and his advocacy for e.g. marine protections to be a far more important and notable cause than soul-destroying culture war stuff.
It's clear you haven't really engaged with a lot of his material and have just Googled something controversial about what he has said. I have listened to hours of his speeches, lectures and interviews and generally when it comes to Islam he doesn't give any wide-ranging takes because he self-admittedly is still learning much about that faith. He is humble enough to not engage in that, where a lot of people on the right aren't - regardless of whether they're right or wrong about their opinions. Read on its own, it seems incendiary.

The question he is proposing seeks to concentrate on leftists/post-modernists who seek to destroy dominance hierarchies, which he argues are incontrovertibly connected to us and he uses nature to (the Lobster is the famous example) exemplify that. Islam clearly has a male dominance and yet feminists who would seek to undermine Western society as being patriarchal - including christianity - seem to kowtow to muslims. In reality, they do so because of their intersectional politics and not one of principle, which is why there is a cognitive dissonance-laced backlash at even asking the question. It's not reductio ad absurdum - it happens, a lot. It's certainly a provocative question but it's designed that way to kickstart a discussion. The feminists support of Islam really makes very little sense when you align their criticisms of the underpinnings of western society with it, and that's kind of the point.

I find the discussion on his fans nonsensical. It is clear the people criticising his fanbase here just don't have much of a clue about Peterson himself because it would be one of the stupider opinions to think he would engage in insulting or arguing in bad faith. The man is more contemplative of every word he utters, for the sake of accuracy, than is reasonably healthy :laugh:. This is just a poor character assassination attempt to level charges against his fans in order to make him look bad - and the reality is that his fans for the most part are intelligent people who have become fans of Peterson because of his own virtuous actions. If a troll doesn't like one of Peterson's opponents (e.g. Cathy Newman), then he's got something wrong with him if he thinks insulting or threatening her makes them or Peterson look good. The man himself never engages in such things, as you can see by the video posted in this thread.

It's also a critique that Peterson can't respond to effectively because he doesn't control other people. Jesus and Mohammad - or insert virtuous leader - have also had morally corrupt followers.

He's actually addressed this recently:

Lastly, if you think his views are merely regurgitated old christian theology I don't know what to tell you. Instead of trying to represent that you know who he is by Googling him go and actually listen to his lectures. The guy does hours upon hours of explaining his position and yet you want to use a 140 word character to sum him up, it's intellectually bankrupt.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Fancy posting an entire wall of text based on something I literally said I don't believe.

Spark

Global Moderator
"his Twitter persona is grating but I don't think it's representative"

"HOW DARE YOU BASE YOUR OPINION OF HIM ON TWITTER GO WATCH SOME LECTURES-"

Spark

Global Moderator
If there's a way to implement it without force then it sounds good to me. But then we'd be talking about libertarianism, not leftism.
Many modern right wing political thinkers refuse to even acknowledge the legitimacy of the question full stop. "It's 100% your fault you're poor" and all that.

harsh.ag

Yes, the guy who mentioned how he finds Peterson's academic views interesting, esp on marine protections has "just googled him" and "used 140 characters to sum him up" :laugh:

Stop being triggered, Ikki. Intellectually bankrupt much?

Ikki

"his Twitter persona is grating but I don't think it's representative"

"HOW DARE YOU BASE YOUR OPINION OF HIM ON TWITTER GO WATCH SOME LECTURES-"
I don't think his Twitter persona is grating, you simply aren't familiar with his persona which is evidently clear to someone who has. If you want to know who someone is then of course engaging more of their material and words is going to give you a better representation. How is this suggestion controversial?

Seriously, you're just coming off as someone who has started from the fixed position of not liking him or his fans and theorising about who he is and his intentions. It's just ignorant and your response to the suggestion of actually consuming more material illustrates that you're not really interested in finding out who he is.

Yes, the guy who mentioned how he finds Peterson's academic views interesting, esp on marine protections has "just googled him" and "used 140 characters to sum him up" :laugh:

Yes, bringing up marine protections is just a deft way to feign knowledge. I know Spark isn't that familiar with him because of everything else he said. Triggered? Superficial knowledge is superficial knowledge. I'm willing to discuss criticisms from someone who has clearly spent time studying a subject even if I believe they're wrong - heck, I engage with you on economic matters all the time. :laugh:

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator

It's really getting tedious, this selective ignorance of 90% of what my posts say and picking a fight over the rest.

harsh.ag

I don't think his Twitter persona is grating, you simply aren't familiar with his persona which is evidently clear to someone who has. If you want to know who someone is then of course engaging more of their material and words is going to give you a better representation. How is this suggestion controversial?

Seriously, you're just coming off as someone who has started from the fixed position of not liking him or his fans and theorising about who he is and his intentions. It's just ignorant and your response to the suggestion of actually consuming more material illustrates that you're not really interested in finding out who he is.

Yes, bringing up marine protections is just a deft way to feign knowledge. I know Spark isn't that familiar with him because of everything else he said. Triggered? Superficial knowledge is superficial knowledge. I'm willing to discuss criticisms from someone who has clearly spent time studying a subject even if I believe they're wrong - heck, I engage with you on economic matters all the time. :laugh:
Yup, as usual, you know everything about everybody :laugh:

vcs

Peterson: There’s this idea that hierarchical structures are a sociological construct of the Western patriarchy. And that is so untrue that it’s almost unbelievable. I use the lobster as an example: We diverged from lobsters evolutionarily history about 350 million years ago. And lobsters exist in hierarchies. They have a nervous system attuned to the hierarchy. And that nervous system runs on serotonin just like ours. The nervous system of the lobster and the human being is so similar that anti-depressants work on lobsters. And it’s part of my attempt to demonstrate that the idea of hierarchy has absolutely nothing to do with sociocultural construction, which it doesn’t.
Don't know much about him in general, but this doesn't strike me as a good argument. He has to point out exactly what is common (some gene, or brain structure) that makes hierarchies inevitable, and what biological mechanism causes hierarchies to arise. I'm sure there are plenty of animals that share common biological features with humans, that also don't have social hierarchies.

Ikki

"Woe is me, someone called me on my bullshit" .... "How dare you call him on his bullshit, are you triggered?" :laugh:

Spark didn't just say he was grating, he said: "he provokes some eye rolls with his use and abuse of reductio ad absurdum" and "is just flagrantly and wilfully dishonest trolling". It's just a poor characterisation, as if this is his modus operandi. As I said, I'm not sure there is someone who is more careful with his words. If you listen to his lectures, he pauses many times just so he chooses the right words - it's actually a distinguishable character trait he has, it's almost annoying at times but admirable all the same.

I don't even care if you disagree with him or consider him a troll (he isn't) but he's not being dishonest. You're generalising to attack his character which I find distasteful - not because you don't like him or whatever but because you clearly don't know enough not to like him for the stated reasons and it's obvious. The guy who has an almost pathological need to be clear and accurate uses and abuses reductio ad absurdum? Yeh, nah.

Last edited:

Ikki

Don't know much about him in general, but this doesn't strike me as a good argument. He has to point out exactly what is common (some gene, or brain structure) that makes hierarchies inevitable, and what biological mechanism causes hierarchies to arise. I'm sure there are plenty of animals that share common biological features with humans, that also don't have social hierarchies.
It's very interesting. He uses more examples for this in his lectures. It's also a reality of economics, when given freedom there is basically always a 10% that rise far above the rest.

He makes a great explanation of it on Joe Rogan's podcast. Why dominance hierachies exist and how they've been represented in culture to help the progress of species - it's more in the second half of the video, but its really interesting, watch it mate.

Last edited:

Ausage

You mean like serotonin?

Anyway "he didn't go into extreme detail on the chemical processes that underpin his argument on a television segment that was closer to an ambush than interview" strikes me as a really poor criticism of the guy.

Spark

Global Moderator
"Woe is me, someone called me on my bullshit" .... "How dare you call him on his bullshit, are you triggered?" :laugh:

Spark didn't just say he was grating, he said: "he provokes some eye rolls with his use and abuse of reductio ad absurdum" and "is just flagrantly and wilfully dishonest trolling". It's just a poor characterisation, as if this is his modus operandi. As I said, I'm not sure there is someone who is more careful with his words. If you listen to his lectures, he pauses many times just so he chooses the right words - it's actually a distinguishable character trait he has, it's almost annoying at times but admirable all the same.

I don't even care if you disagree with him or consider him a troll (he isn't) but he's not being dishonest. You're generalising to attack his character which I find distasteful - not because you don't like him or whatever but because you clearly don't know enough not to like him for the stated reasons and it's obvious. The guy who has an almost pathological need to be clear and accurate uses and abuses reductio ad absurdum? Yeh, nah.
It is flagrantly dishonest trolling. It's not an attempt to argue about why feminists should critique Islam more, or critique them for said or perceived lack of critique, or even find a flaw in their overall arguments, it simply states that feminists don't critique Islam because they secretly desire male dominance. No evidence for this is given, no argument as to why this is true is given, no attempt to make a good faith engagement is given. It's just a troll, in that it gets a rise out of his political opponents.

Does it lack context? Of course it does, it's ****ing Twitter. That's why his Twitter persona is so grating, because it's the perception of who he is through his Twitter, filtered through what gets tweeted and retweeted into people's timelines, like mine. And yes, it is unquestionably obnoxious for anyone to be so full-on "anti-PC anti-SJW" culture war all the time, which---beyond promoting his talks
and videos and what not, which by definition is not part of his "Twitter persona" as it links to external work---is what he tweets about. And in particular I find it very irritating because he consistently tweets against the most ludicrous, barely sane and barely stable iteration of his political opponent, against whom no rational dialogue or debate is often possible. The tweet is symptomatic of that in that it assumes the worst faith possible from those who disagree with him.

Now, my personal view is that this is a function of the medium, and it reduces otherwise intelligent and reasoned people who aren't super super careful to snark machines. NdGT, for example, is an extremely charismatic, eloquent and knowledgable speaker who is completely insufferable on Twitter. But that doesn't make it any less grating, nor annoying to read.

But of course this apparently can be generalised into a total distaste of the man and everything he stands for, simply because I don't like his Tweets. Yawn.

Last edited:

Ikki

It is flagrantly dishonest trolling. It's not an attempt to argue about why feminists should critique Islam more, or critique them for said or perceived lack of critique, or even find a flaw in their overall arguments, it simply states that feminists don't critique Islam because they secretly desire male dominance. No evidence for this is given, no argument as to why this is true is given, no attempt to make a good faith engagement is given. It's just a troll, in that it gets a rise out of his political opponents.
There is plenty of argument on this that he's made. You would know this if you've actually listened to his lectures, speeches and interviews. The idea that he should write a dissertation on Twitter every time he makes a statement is ridiculous.
Does it lack context? Of course it does, it's ****ing Twitter. That's why his Twitter persona is so grating, because it's the perception of who he is through his Twitter, filtered through what gets tweeted and retweeted into people's timelines, like mine. And yes, it is unquestionably obnoxious for anyone to be so full-on "anti-PC anti-SJW" culture war all the time, which---beyond promoting his talks
and videos and what not, which by definition is not part of his "Twitter persona" as it links to external work---is what he tweets about. And in particular I find it very irritating because he consistently tweets against the most ludicrous, barely sane and barely stable iteration of his political opponent, against whom no rational dialogue or debate is often possible. The tweet is symptomatic of that in that it assumes the worst faith possible from those who disagree with him.
Nonsense, you act like he makes incendiary comments and trolls in every post.

Now, my personal view is that this is a function of the medium, and it reduces otherwise intelligent and reasoned people who aren't super super careful to snark machines. NdGT, for example, is an extremely charismatic, eloquent and knowledgable speaker who is completely insufferable on Twitter. But that doesn't make it any less grating, nor annoying to read.

But of course this apparently can be generalised into a total distaste of the man and everything he stands for, simply because I don't like his Tweets. Yawn.
The irony is you're doing what Cathy Newman was doing: projecting your own ideas on his values and what he is saying in order to make him seem insulting and ridiculous. I've explained his tweet for you because it is clear you're just not very familiar with his thoughts. And yet you are still trying to cling to this false perception - ironically, you're acknowledging it is flawed, yet wish to use it to hammer him all the same.

If what he is saying irks you and others, I'd suggest learning more about the man than pretending Twitter is the be-all and end-all of a person's public persona. Let's not bullshit ourselves: people dislike intellectuals who side on their opposing beliefs and seek to vilify them in order to appear to have some grounds for disliking them. It's nothing more or less than that.

If someone wrote "the common gender pay gap argument is fallacious and ignorant" it would incite a lot of people. The idea that you'd have to write an essay on Twitter about it - when you've made plenty of content on discussing this - is inane.

Last edited:

Burgey

Look, I genuinely don’t want to get into the relative merits of either of your arguments, but it’s generally a safe bet that the bloke who spends time at CERN is the smart one in the room.

Uppercut

You’re being too kind imo. He either means his culture war tweets or he doesn’t. Ausage and Ikki hated the suggestion that either of those was the case.