• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Semi Final - Australia v England

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

91Jmay

I deliberately left that out. But the 50 over World Cup certainly has more prestige compared to the T20 format atleast for now.

My question is how this would compare to their victories in other big sporting tournaments or rather how important would this victory be considering England are hosting and could potentially end up winning it...
It will be less impactful then Men's Semi final of footie last year. Lack of free to air TV games means cricket is basically irrelevance in England. Hopefully the final gets massive numbers and starts to change that.

Dissector

This is only the fourth time Australia has lost a knockout game in the World Cup and it was easily the worst of those losses. Definitely did not expect this kind of pasting particularly after they won the toss.

Who I am rooting for? I think England because they have the aura of a true world champion side and because it will be good for the long term health of the game.

PikeyB

We also won the Bank Tri series(?) in 2007 . That is the sum total of our Limited over prowess :D . We may have won a Champions Trophy or something when I was a kid ? But I don't remember it .

For me , and many other hardcore fans , it's huge . We have been working towards this for 4 years and we have really put ourselves out to do it . It would be a massive coup for Andrew Strauss and his legacy .

The casual English sports fan is a mercurial beast . I've seen them go wild over the Ashes and the Olympics etc ...and barely a one of them could spot a good ball in a lineup . There's no difference between a thick edge over the slips and a reverse sweep for that sort of fan , both 4 runs :) . They can talk in general about the sport but an actual appreciation of what's going on ball by ball is beyond most of them . If they decide to turn out for the final, it could be a nice showcase for the sport but it isn't gonna generate major heat like a sub-continental Final .

I was out in India during the 2011 World Cup and it rocked . You could be hundreds of miles from the stadium but there was atmosphere and smart cricket fans everywhere I looked .

wrongun

Banned
We also won the Bank Tri series(?) in 2007 . That is the sum total of our Limited over prowess :D . We may have won a Champions Trophy or something when I was a kid ? But I don't remember it .

For me , and many other hardcore fans , it's huge . We have been working towards this for 4 years and we have really put ourselves out to do it . It would be a massive coup for Andrew Strauss and his legacy .

The casual English sports fan is a mercurial beast . I've seen them go wild over the Ashes and the Olympics etc ...and barely a one of them could spot a good ball in a lineup . There's no difference between a thick edge over the slips and a reverse sweep for that sort of fan , both 4 runs :) . They can talk in general about the sport but an actual appreciation of what's going on ball by ball is beyond most of them . If they decide to turn out for the final, it could be a nice showcase for the sport but it isn't gonna generate major heat like a sub-continental Final .

I was out in India during the 2011 World Cup and it rocked . You could be hundreds of miles from the stadium but there was atmosphere and smart cricket fans everywhere I looked .
Either you were in South Bombay or you didnt look too far

BSM

And to think we were almost out of the tournament two weeks ago having to beat India and NZ in a row just to qualify. Quality stuff with the final now being between two teams who have never won the WC before. Should be a great game

My favourite thing out of this game, other than the win against Australia of course, is Rashid bowling well. So vital to our chances of winning the entire thing and now he should have more confidence. Let's just hope Roy doesn't get banned for a game and Bairstow isn't actually injured :ph34r:

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

So I guess that at the very least 4 countries are supporting NZ in the finals, including:

Pakistan - NZ helped to remove India
India - NZ beat them so they would want NZ to win
Australia - Want England to lose

PikeyB

Couldn't find any full account of Roy's disciplinary record but he definitely has the one on his file . 4 in 24 months is required for a match ban . He might be protected from mega points a bit by some sketchy umpiring calling and the terrible decision itself ...but I doubt it .

It isn't the worst thing in the world anyway . **** happen .

Australian fans should take some comfort from the fact that we're coming into the Ashes part-baked . We might be a well drilled ODI unit but likely we're jam packed with sketchy picks and debutantes come the First Test :) .

BSM

So happy that we've made the final. Such a turnaround from 4 years ago, and this England side now has the opportunity to cement themselves as one of the best ever ODI sides. Fancy New Zealand to play much better than the previous game. Bring it on!

ImpatientLime

judging by the scorecard i can only assume the pitch was too paced with variable bounce until around 1:30/2pm where it transformed into a motorway.

SteveNZ

Jason Roy looks to me what Martin Guptill could be if he believed in himself more consistently.

Holy ****, what a player. The strokeplay today was other-worldly.