• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** COVID-19 Discussion

TheJediBrah

There isn't but don't insurance companies do this literally all the time? I'm pretty sure the value they assign to an individual life (i.e. the amount that it's reasonable to spend to avoid one avoidable death) is a few million or so. Multiply that by, say, 50000 (i.e. what you'd get with a "herd immunity" strategy at a minimum) and you vastly exceed the economic costs of a short-term shutdown purely in terms of direct costs alone. Let alone the galaxy brain assumption that somehow economic life will return to normal for everyone else.

And there's the point that we spend tons on palliative care too, so obviously just because people are near the end of their life doesn't mean people think it's not worth spending money on them any more.
You're possibly right. Maybe assorted governments have put a numerical value on each projected loss of life and are using that in conjuction with economic models. I don't know.

Anyway I think most would agree that a short shut-down is warranted, but what I was saying is there must be a point (probably a few months away at a guess) where it won't be "worth it" to continue.

I'd let TJB inject me full of sedatives any day
suppositories only bebe, and they are much larger than most can take

Last edited:

Shady Slim

Nah this has been widely reported in the US media in the last few days. Nothing to it though; his investment is pretty small and probably due to an index fund anyway.
yeah this is correct

one of those things that would probably raise a few more eyebrows if it was anyone other than trump but as spark says it's largely innocuous

Spark

Global Moderator
You're possibly right. Maybe assorted governments have put a numerical value on each projected loss of life and are using that in conjuction with economic models. I don't know.

Anyway I think most would agree that a short shut-down is warranted, but what I was saying is there must be a point (probably a few months away at a guess) where it won't be "worth it" to continue.

suppositories only bebe, and they are much larger than most can take
Sure but like who knows what's even going to happen by next week even, a few months away is like a new geological era in covid time

TheJediBrah

And now he proves it again.. scary.. :laugh:
I don't know if you're trying to break your own record of how much of an ignorant dick you can make yourself look or something, but trying to insult someone who is working overtime, and is actually in close contact with confirmed coronavirus patients at times by saying that them working is "scary" is a great way to go about it

Last edited:

D/L

Lad, you're the sort of bloke who thinks haggis is "ethnic food".
Well, if ethnicity is based upon learned behaviours, as many supposed experts say it is, then perhaps it's not a bad description.

After trying it once in "Auld Reekie", it'd certainly take me a long time to learn to like it.

honestbharani

I don't know if you're trying to break your own record of how much of an ignorant dick you can make yourself look or something, but trying to insult someone who is working overtime, and is actually in close contact with confirmed coronavirus patients at times by saying that it's them working is "scary" is a great way to go about it

No mate, my simple point here is how much of an ignorant dick you need to be work in this sector in this crisis and still say

time to reopen everything and bad luck to anyone who gets sick
I mean, I know you meant the Government might think that way but its still scary you think it is a legitimate option. Even when any Government does lift the lock-down, the minimum expectation is that they have bit more of a plan on handling this crisis other than "bad luck to anyone who gets sick"..

TheJediBrah

No mate, my simple point here is how much of an ignorant dick you need to be work in this sector in this crisis and still say

I mean, I know you meant the Government might think that way but its still scary you think it is a legitimate option. Even when any Government does lift the lock-down, the minimum expectation is that they have bit more of a plan on handling this crisis other than "bad luck to anyone who gets sick"..
Ffs that wasn't my opinion at all you've completely misunderstood everything I said, which I really shouldn't be surprised about tbh. Try again

honestbharani

Ffs that wasn't my opinion at all you've completely misunderstood everything I said, which I really shouldn't be surprised about tbh. Try again
yes.. sure, you didn't mean that at all.

TheJediBrah said:
Well I mean there's no objective way to determine this. What's the value of a life? are the lives of people who die from corona worth more than the lives of people who will die or otherwise suffer from a prolonged shutdown?

At some point it's going to have to get to the stage where the powers that be decide "yeah this shut down has gone on long enough, time to reopen everything and bad luck to anyone who gets sick"
Once again, I understand you said that is what a Government might think, but I feel its still scary that someone in this line of work thinks that could happen. Even if someone in the Government were to think like that, I would sincerely hope they would be advised to think harder.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

And while I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt and attribute your misunderstanding to poor English, or a simple failrue to closely read my comments, the fact that you actively posted a cut-off out-of-context half quote of mine to make it seem like I've said something sinister that I didn't leads me to believe otherwise

Once again, I understand you said that is what a Government might think, but I feel its still scary that someone in this line of work thinks that could happen. Even if someone in the Government were to think like that, I would sincerely hope they would be advised to think harder.
Newsflash. Every doctor, nurse, healthcare worker thinks about this, and talks about this. All the time. And they talk about much, much worse. And they'd be idiots if they didn't, it's very relevant to their job. If that "scares" you then don't leave your basement. The real world probably isn't the place for you.

Last edited:

honestbharani

And while I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt and attribute your misunderstanding to poor English, or a simple failrue to closely read my comments, the fact that you actively posted a cut-off out-of-context half quote of mine to make it seem like I've said something sinister that I didn't leads me to believe otherwise

Newsflash. Every doctor, nurse, healthcare worker thinks about this, and talks about this. All the time. And they talk about much, much worse. And they'd be idiots if they didn't, it's very relevant to their job. If that "scares" you then don't leave your basement. The real world probably isn't the place for you.

What a bunch of BS. Mate, you said there will be a day when Governments would decide "bad luck if someone gets sick" and I don't think any Government should take that approach towards this crisis. You can keep bawling at the keyboard all you want but it is what you said and I said its scary for someone in that industry to think this can happen. That is it. And I will manage my own life just fine. You try to manage yours first.

TheJediBrah

What a bunch of BS. Mate, you said there will be a day when Governments would decide "bad luck if someone gets sick" and I don't think any Government should take that approach towards this crisis.
Every government is already taking that approach to this crisis. How do you not know that? How do you think decisions about the extent and timing of lockdowns are being made? And will be made?

You can keep bawling at the keyboard all you want but it is what you said and I said its scary for someone in that industry to think this can happen. That is it. And I will manage my own life just fine. You try to manage yours first.
I know you did. And it's probably the second dumbest thing I've ever seen anyone say on this forum.

And don't pretend that that's all you were saying. You were targeting someone who is working overtime during the crisis, directly with the patients affected, and telling them that it is "scary" that they are a healthcare worker. That was really, really low. Makes Gavaskar's comments look good by comparison.

Daemon

And don't pretend that that's all you were saying. You were targeting someone who is working overtime during the crisis, directly with the patients affected, and telling them that it is "scary" that they are a healthcare worker. That was really, really low. Makes Gavaskar's comments look good by comparison.
Nah

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Every government is already taking that approach to this crisis. How do you not know that? How do you think decisions about the extent and timing of lockdowns are being made? And will be made?

I know you did. And it's probably the second dumbest thing I've ever seen anyone say on this forum.

Could you just clarify, are you:

a) suggesting HB is a racist; or

b) suggesting HB is worse than a racist.

Thanks in advance.