• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Recent content by wpdavid

1. wpdavid

England's best/worst since 66 and all that

Nope, but it sounds a great read. However, I did have this.
  2. wpdavid

Matches or series when your team astonished you in a good way

A more positive counterpart to the 'losses' thread. Here are a few instances when England played better and did far better than we had any right to expect.. 1973/74: Drew 1-1 in the West Indies WI had comfortably beaten us in England,did the same in the first test in this series and dominated...
  3. wpdavid

Private messages

An embarrassing request for help …. How do I find private messages on CW? I came across them by accident and saw that a couple of folks had kindly messaged me there. I replied to one, left it, and now can't manage to find it again to reply to the other one.
  4. wpdavid

Your team's favourite five matches

This may catch on, or it may be one of my tumbleweed efforts. Your team's favourite five matches with links, if possible, and brief reasons. My reasons were originally much more detailed but I figures that the mods would ban me for boring everyone silly. It doesn't have to be football, but...
  5. wpdavid

The British Politics Thread

This from Have I Got New For You's Facebook page Which makes me wonder which was the biggest car crash? Prince Andrew's interview with Emily Maitlis, Johnson's 'stay alert' broadcast a couple of weeks ago, or Cummings effort this week.
  6. wpdavid

Things that won't happen in my life time

Not the most cheerful thread, but inspired by a friend of mine who turned 60 a couple of months ago. He reckoned that he would never see England win the football WC, Somerset win the CC or Liverpool win the Premiership. The last of those is looking a bit iffy now, which is perhaps encouraging...
  7. wpdavid

Jack Bond

I doubt whether this will attract many comments, but his passing should be noted. Fans of a certain age will remember him captaining the great Lancashire one day side of the early 1970s. Not least his great catch to turn the 1971 Gillette Cup final his side's way after Asif Iqbal looked like...
  8. wpdavid

Deliveries that changed the history of the game

This struck me when reading a piece about Kapil Dev taking the catch to dismiss Viv Richards in the 1983 WC final, kick starting India's love of limited overs cricket. Another that struck me was Gatting trying unsuccessfully to reverse sweep Allan Border in the 1987 WC final, and the impact that...
  9. wpdavid

Best games at this WC

Inspired by a discussion in the 'Final' thread. Those that instantly spring to mind, in no particular order: Spain vs Portugal Belgium vs Japan France vs Argentina Argentina vs Nigeria Serbia vs Switzerland I also enjoyed France vs Belgium and France vs Uruguay, although they may not make...
  10. wpdavid

Squires watch

For those not familiar with his work, he's currently producing two a week during the WC. Not surprisingly it's a bit hit and miss, but there's plenty to enjoy. Here's the latest contribution...
  11. wpdavid

Bruce Springsteen albums

I'm after some advice here. Having read his autobiography, I was wondering which of his albums people recommend since 'Born in the USA'.
  12. wpdavid

England players who have failed to push on

Out of a passing discussion in one of the euros threads; English players who were highly rated in their teens and/or early twenties, but have signally failed to develop. A few obvious candidates: Barkley Sterling Walcott Oxlade-Chamberlain Phil Jones Wilshere Gibbs Hart maybe? There must be...
  13. wpdavid

From Anderson to 1877 in 10 England players

This was a good read. It's the question of how to link Jimmy Anderson back to what is now viewed as England's first ever test match by players played together for England. The replies are excellent as well, with some fascinating suggestions for counties, as well as other nations' test teams...
  14. wpdavid

Players who played tests in England on five tours

Only because I was wondering about Clarke earlier, but of course he's only been on four. Anyway, so far I've come up with Viv Richards, Tendulkar, Hadlee and, I think, Gavaskar and Clive Lloyd. Notables who I don't think toured five times include Bradman, Imran, Javed and Border. Anyone else...