• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

10 Most Expensive Stadiums in the World

Turbinator

Interesting list. Nice to see Rogers Centre at number 5, practically grown up watching sports, and going to concerts there. Although, not exactly sure how accurate this list is. I was expecting Cowboys Stadium in Texas to be right up there between Olympic Stadium in Montreal and Madison Square Garden, considering its construction cost is about $1.3 Billion. Perhaps Fusion, or SS can confirm that for me.

Anyway, would be interesting to see how many of these stadiums you guys have been to. I've been to number 7, 5, 3, and 2 (Soldier Field, Rogers Centre, Madison, and Olympic Stadium).

Top 10 Most Expensive Stadiums in the World | Top 10 Ranks

Turbinator

Also, surprised by the lack of variety. It's 4 American, 2 Canadian, 2 British, 1 Australian, 1 French. Altogether, just representing 5 countries. Surely there must be some expensive stadiums in China, Russia, etc. Nonetheless, expecting Dubai to spot this list and top it off. :p

Fusion

Global Moderator
I was expecting Cowboys Stadium in Texas to be right up there between Olympic Stadium in Montreal and Madison Square Garden, considering its construction cost is about $1.3 Billion. Perhaps Fusion, or SS can confirm that for me.
Thought the new Yankee Stadium would be up there itbt.
Both the Cowboys Stadium and Yankees Stadium needs to be on the list. They both cost upwards of $1.3 billion. The credibility of this list is highly suspect IMO.

Burgey

The list will just contain most of the recently constructed mega-stadia from anywhere in the world won't it?

For accuracy you'd want the ****er indexed for inflation and standardise the costings to one currency, like the USD.

I know that sounds terribly nerdy, but every other thread becomes a maths one, this may as well too.

Fusion

Global Moderator
The list will just contain most of the recently constructed mega-stadia from anywhere in the world won't it?

For accuracy you'd want the ****er indexed for inflation and standardise the costings to one currency, like the USD.

I know that sounds terribly nerdy, but every other thread becomes a maths one, this may as well too.
The list was "posted" on August 26th, 2010 which is after both the Cowboys and Yankees stadiums opened. Perhaps the list was compiled before and merely posted at that date. Agree with you that it needs to take inflation under consideration though.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
List of world's most expensive single objects - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Has New Meadowlands Stadium as the most expensive (est $1.6b). Impressive gap between 1 and 2 on that list. I guess contractors charge extra for work conducted outside earth.
Well, a large amount of that is simply transportation to space. It's unbelievably expensive to put an object even in LEO.

The problem is you need fuel to put an object in space...but then you need fuel to put that fuel in space...and yet more fuel to put that fuel in space, etc. So by the time you have enough, it's pretty much a giant tank of fuel with a tiny payload (e.g, not unlike Burgey).

If/until we have another mode of transport like a space elevator...it's something that's not going to change much.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Seriously, I've said this before, but Antilla has to be the ugliest building ever made.

I can't believe he's spending a billion dollars on that crap. And permanent 600 staff for six people? You have no privacy even in your own home - and obviously they will be entertaining a lot of people as well as business stuff, but that's so way over the top that it makes me cringe. Aside from the pure aesthetics - which are beyond ugly.

Last edited:

Burgey

Well, a large amount of that is simply transportation to space. It's unbelievably expensive to put an object even in LEO.

The problem is you need fuel to put an object in space...but then you need fuel to put that fuel in space...and yet more fuel to put that fuel in space, etc. So by the time you have enough, it's pretty much a giant tank of fuel with a tiny payload (e.g, not unlike Burgey).

If/until we have another mode of transport like a space elevator...it's something that's not going to change much.
Infract this person. Post-haste.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Seriously, I've said this before, but Antilla has to be the ugliest building ever made.

I can't believe he's spending a billion dollars on that crap. And permanent 600 staff for six people? You have no privacy even in your own home - and obviously they will be entertaining a lot of people as well as business stuff, but that's so way over the top that it makes me cringe. Aside from the pure aesthetics - which are beyond ugly.
Completely agree, that design is so horrendous. Also, if I'm spending a billion dollars on a house, I want a sprawling estate with a tennis court, a basketball court, a few swimming pools, separate guest and servant quarters (that are not joined to the main mansion as I want my privacy), a huge garden, and a freaking cricket pitch. Antilla looks like the world's ugliest high-rise hotel.

vcs

seriously, i've said this before, but antilla has to be the ugliest building ever made.

+1

Dasa

Dwta. I think architecturally it's an interesting building and far from ugly. If I had the cash I'd do something similar, it's so much better than a sprawling villa in the sticks.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Infract this person. Post-haste.
:p

Dwta. I think architecturally it's an interesting building and far from ugly. If I had the cash I'd do something similar, it's so much better than a sprawling villa in the sticks.
Meh, if I had a billion dollars to spare, I can think of a lot better uses than a my home. I mean he's like a mile from some of the worst slums in the world.

Look, it's his money so it's up to him, but aside from being ugly (obviously a personal preference), it's just so unseemly.

Sort of reminds me of douchebags in this documentary that go out 'looking for beggars'.

Fusion

Global Moderator
:p

Sort of reminds me of douchebags in this documentary that go out 'looking for beggars'.
Oh my Lord, that Bineeta Singh is the biggest snob/douche I have seen in a while. TBF though, these type of "gated communities" and their douche bags are not exclusive to India. They are ever-present here in the States as well.

Adamc

I reckon this one takes the gong:

Aside from being impressively ugly, it's a 105-storey hotel in famed tourist hotspot North Korea and is therefore empty most of the time. And it only cost $750m (2% of the country's GDP) to build. Yet another testament to the economic genius of Dear Leader.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, it's stupider and an even more repugnant display of wealth, but I still find Antilia to be uglier from a purely aesthetic point of view. The hotel looks like an eight year old designed it. Antilia looks like it was designed by an adult. An adult who was extremely angry at someone and decided to purposefully set his mind to the task and consciously made every architectural decision on what would be most offensive to look at.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Oh my Lord, that Bineeta Singh is the biggest snob/douche I have seen in a while. TBF though, these type of "gated communities" and their douche bags are not exclusive to India. They are ever-present here in the States as well.
Yes, I've railed against gated communities in the past on this forum. I hate them with a passion - they are antithetical to a civil society.