• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

10 Most Expensive Stadiums in the World

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
How about the elevators that guests can use but the staff can't? Hey I'll have some mango juice...so some dude has to carry it up ten stories. I'm surprised noone in the serving staff has gotten fed up enough to just slap that little douche in the face.

Oh, and not 'allowing' your maid to leave the compound made me furious.

And re: Bineeta Singh.....I have never heard the word 'frivolous' used in a positive manner before like that. LOL. She is offensive to listen to.

vcs

Well, it's stupider and an even more repugnant display of wealth, but I still find Antilia to be uglier from a purely aesthetic point of view. The hotel looks like an eight year old designed it. Antilia looks like it was designed by an adult. An adult who was extremely angry at someone and decided to purposefully set his mind to the task and consciously made every architectural decision on what would be most offensive to look at.
Antilia looks like a Lego construction or a Tetris game gone horribly wrong.

biased indian

Oh my Lord, that Bineeta Singh is the biggest snob/douche I have seen in a while. TBF though, these type of "gated communities" and their douche bags are not exclusive to India. They are ever-present here in the States as well.
if i see her face to face .... i would give her 10 rs and ask to **** off

Dasa

I reckon this one takes the gong:

Aside from being impressively ugly, it's a 105-storey hotel in famed tourist hotspot North Korea and is therefore empty most of the time. And it only cost $750m (2% of the country's GDP) to build. Yet another testament to the economic genius of Dear Leader.
Looks more like this now:

..and still disagree with SS re. the architecture of Antilia.

Goughy

Yes, I've railed against gated communities in the past on this forum. I hate them with a passion - they are antithetical to a civil society.
I live in a gated community-- though one that allows no businesses so you have to leave if you want to do anything-- and I wouldnt have it any other way. Security is one aspect (that can be debated) but quality of life for my kids is paramount and living outside would drastically reduce that. So we disagree on that issue.

I agree 100% on Antilla though. Leaving aside the potential moral objections, it is a hideous looking building. A celebration of bad taste.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I live in a gated community-- though one that allows no businesses so you have to leave if you want to do anything-- and I wouldnt have it any other way. Security is one aspect (that can be debated) but quality of life for my kids is paramount and living outside would drastically reduce that. So we disagree on that issue.

I agree 100% on Antilla though. Leaving aside the potential moral objections, it is a hideous looking building. A celebration of bad taste.
I have not seen gated communities outside of India and the US, so I can't really comment on your situation since you aren't living in either of those countries.

However, from what I have seen, the reason they are antithetical to civil society is because while they are designed to create a physical separation between the 'local' population and usually the more richer, perhaps ethnically different population inside, they are much more insidious in that they also create huge psychological separations. You get more and more insular and start thing of 'us' vs. 'them' (people who live outside). It's a vicious circle of elitism and separates people from participating in basic civic issues of the community (many of the gated communities have their own civil system, for cleaning, security, other issues that they don't have to worry about). And the less you have to leave the community, the worse the separation gets. Security is another issue - many times they offer the illusion of security rather than actual security (unless of course the community can afford multiple full time guards with 24/7 coverage, which some can, and that of course does make a difference). Personally, and from the communities I've seen, I would never live in them. I am specifically talking about the communities like the one in that documentary that I posted.

Obviously, if I lived in Somalia or something, I'd have to rethink that issue....so I am not really in a position to comment on places I have never been.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would completely disagree. The US immigration policy is much more open than many, many other countries. You just have to visit a major American city to see it. It's probably the worst example of a gated community - California is for example the first (of possibly others) where ethnicity wise, caucasians are now less than 50% of the population. It's sort of the opposite of a gated community. Obviously there are lots of gated communities within the US, which is a shame and what I am against, but as a whole? It's also reflected in the foreign policy....where it tends to stick its noses in a lot of places....opposite of isolating itself on the world stage.

It's just about the worst example in the western world. Look at Japan's for an example of what I think you're getting at.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I reckon this one takes the gong:

Aside from being impressively ugly, it's a 105-storey hotel in famed tourist hotspot North Korea and is therefore empty most of the time. And it only cost $750m (2% of the country's GDP) to build. Yet another testament to the economic genius of Dear Leader.
Haha, that just looks like the "Enron Ride" rollercoaster on the Simpsons.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I have not seen gated communities outside of India and the US, so I can't really comment on your situation since you aren't living in either of those countries.

However, from what I have seen, the reason they are antithetical to civil society is because while they are designed to create a physical separation between the 'local' population and usually the more richer, perhaps ethnically different population inside, they are much more insidious in that they also create huge psychological separations. You get more and more insular and start thing of 'us' vs. 'them' (people who live outside). It's a vicious circle of elitism and separates people from participating in basic civic issues of the community (many of the gated communities have their own civil system, for cleaning, security, other issues that they don't have to worry about). And the less you have to leave the community, the worse the separation gets. Security is another issue - many times they offer the illusion of security rather than actual security (unless of course the community can afford multiple full time guards with 24/7 coverage, which some can, and that of course does make a difference). Personally, and from the communities I've seen, I would never live in them. I am specifically talking about the communities like the one in that documentary that I posted.

Obviously, if I lived in Somalia or something, I'd have to rethink that issue....so I am not really in a position to comment on places I have never been.
Hate gated communities (or complexes) as we call them in South Africa.. Mainly due to the fact that they look ****.. Normal leafy suburbia interspersed with an enormous walled seventeenth century cluster of Tuscan villas.. Then you get inside them and everyone appears to hate the people inside as well as outside.. Avoid at all costs, especially as your neighbours once inside are usually Nigerian drug dealers and there are no fences between you both

The fourth most expensive property in the world (Hyde Park One) has just been finished.. If you put what the average 30-something UK citizen has to spend on a house in that block of flats, they could afford the space taken up by one of the coffee machines..