• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Quarter Final - South Africa v Sri Lanka (18th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AndyZaltzHair

The SL scorecard looks abominably bad even with his innings. He just completely bottled it today. The pressure got to him.
completely ignoring the situation. If he got himself out after playing so many dots, blaming him was acceptable

Riggins

6 off 42. You can't defend that.
Sure you can. They lost 2 wickets early. ODI cricket at the moment is all about keeping wickets in hand and detonating at the end. Sri Lanka today were 2/50 off 15 overs with Sanga 6 off 40. Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure South Africa were 1/50 off 15 overs against the WIndies and they went on to make 400. Sure it wasn't his most fluent innings but it's not like it was easy batting conditions, match situation or opposition, and at that time, before the following collapse, probably didn't effect their chances off making a big score too much.

Last edited:

anil1405

Rather than holding Sanga responsible for the batting debacle it comes down to the way Thiri, Mahela, Matthews and Perera got out in the middle overs that changed the fortunes of SL.

wellAlbidarned

Sure you can. They lost 2 wickets early. ODI cricket at the moment is all about keeping wickets in hand and detonating at the end. Sri Lanka today were 2/50 off 15 overs with Sanga 6 off 40. Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure South Africa were 1/50 off 15 overs against the WIndies and they went on to make 400. Sure it wasn't his most fluent innings but it's not like it was easy batting conditions, match situation or opposition, and at that time, before the following collapse, probably didn't effect their chances off making a big score too much.
oh you can try, but still 6 off 42. They all played turds, Sanga just played a longer turd than the rest of them.

disclaimer: I AM NOT BLAMING OUR LORD SANGA FOR THE LOSS I AM MERELY DISAPPOINTED IN HIS INNINGS CONSIDERING HIS SKILL AS A BATSMAN AND HIS IMMINENT RETIREMENT.

Last edited:

Salamuddin

Lot of focus on Sanga and mahela.

Dilshan and possibly Lasith and Kula have all played their last game also.
All of them have been great ambassadors for Sri lankan cricket.

anil1405

Lot of focus on Sanga and mahela.

Dilshan and possibly Lasith and Kula have all played their last game also.
All of them have been great ambassadors for Sri lankan cricket.
The team might rely on Angelo for the next year or so until the next gen step up and make it count. However if Angelo keeps struggling with injuries then it will be tough times for SL.

ankitj

So win the toss and bat first pundits still holding on to that view? I think the importance of toss is being overemphasised in this world cup.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sangakarra is literally the last batsman to blame. And by literally, I in fact mean literally. Considering what was happening at the other end, he did the right thing. They didn't even bat out their full quota, further showing that other batsmen should have tried the same.

OverratedSanity

I still don't understand how Sanga batting slow was a bad thing considering the fact that SL were bowled out in 33 overs. It didn't put pressure on the other batsman either. Why would it? If they got too excited trying to up the scoring rate while Sanga was surviving it's their fault. The aim should've been to bat 50 overs when they lost the top order for virtually nothing.

Riggins

I still don't understand how Sanga batting slow was a bad thing considering the fact that SL were bowled out in 33 overs. It didn't put pressure on the other batsman either. Why would it? If they got too excited trying to up the scoring rate while Sanga was surviving it's their fault. The aim should've been to bat 50 overs when they lost the top order for virtually nothing.
Yeah this. The only one who you could remotely claim was Matthews and he was going at basically the same rate anyway.

morgieb

Thing is the way Sanga was going they were gonna struggle to get a strong total. Would Mathews and Jayawardene had played their shots if he was even taking some assertion? He also ran the risk of putting too much pressure on himself by the PP's.

Yes his go slow approach early on was probably worthwhile. But I think he could have accelerated earlier, particularly in that Thirimanne/Sanga partnership.

kykweer.proteas

Thank goodness. We did it.

We completely psyched lanka out making them want to bat first. They ended up chocking on de kock.

Last edited:

anil1405

Sanga was the man in form and am sure he would have told the likes of Thiri and Mathews as to what the ideal score was and how to go about approaching the innings. Part of the plan surely might not have been to try and play fancy strokes midway through the innings. So the batsmen who got out playing poor strokes should be the first in line to take the blame.

Prad100w

Funny how some people here underrated Saffie bowling being not so good in ODI's. They are certainly one of the best bowling sides in the competition. Just because they had one off game against India does not mean they were gonna bad. Sure Srilankans played some poor cricket but still bowling was really tight and Tahir is probably the best spinner in limited overs cricket currently. Happy to see them winning their first knock out game. Watch out other teams. They sure wanna go all the way this time around.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
well played SA, and congratulations for winning the knockout.

I could feel it that this time they were gonna win this knockout.

Tec15

Sanga's passive approach also allowed the bowlers to get themselves into a rhythm and bowl to their fields and plans. At no stage was there any pressure applied on the bowlers or the fielding team and they were allowed to have it their own way. Also, probably not a great feeling for the batsmen yet to bat in the dressing room, seeing their team's best player crawling to 6 of 42. They were psyched out before they even came in. A proper choke.

kykweer.proteas

Before i went to work they showed a pitch map of the balls to sanga and we were bowling in lines and lengths right to his hips. Id like to think that we executed the perfect plan to Sanga that really piled on the pressure.