• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

27th Match - Bangladesh v Scotland

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xuhaib

BD have been much better in this WC that what I was expecting. They were really horrible last year at the same time during the Asia Cup and World T-20's so there has been improvement nontheless.

hendrix

I understand Flem's frustrations with BD. I'm a big fan of theirs and even my patience is wearing thin. They just seem content with mediocrity and don't seem to hold the belief that they can be one of the top sides in the world. Losing respectfully with the odd win keeps them happy, and they feel under pressure anytime they are expected to win.

Which is why I find the wins against Afgh and the Scots very pleasing. Both are scenarios where BD are known to choke and stumble and **** up. Both games they were struggling. Both games they came out with comprehensive wins.

The game against SL sucked tho, and just shows how much further they have to go. And it's frustrating we are still saying that about them 15 years in. But this crop of cricketers and the steps the BCB are making in terms of development and domestic cricket are the best BD have ever seen. So reason to be optimistic as well :)
It's less about the development of the players already in the team (Mushfiqur's long term development has seriously impressed me, for example), and more about their short-term approach to results. Mashrafe has been around for years, when's the last time he played Tests and why hasn't that been questioned?
Why don't they pick a spinner who can actually turn the ball outside of a mudtrack?

Even some mild innovation like producing a green seaming wicket next time someone like Sri Lanka tours might show some interest in the future development of their team. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying playing to your strengths is unfair or anything, it just doesn't give them a chance of any actual developments beyond boring opposition to death with an army of slow left armers on mud pitches- which in and of itself would be a great way to beat Australia I reckon but it's all a false dawn.

AndyZaltzHair

Pitches at mirpur/ctg are not that much of a turner as we are making out to be but those are really slow and low and those left arm spinners just know how to exploit these conditions to the fullest

wtfm8

Damn, expected BD to lose given their track record of losing to minnows and being as mentally weak as Pak when chasing, but kudos to them, was a convincing win. People critizing the bowling should first take a look at how the other teams are bowling and the Kiwi dude talking smack is absolutely hilarious

zorax

likes this
It's less about the development of the players already in the team (Mushfiqur's long term development has seriously impressed me, for example), and more about their short-term approach to results. Mashrafe has been around for years, when's the last time he played Tests and why hasn't that been questioned?
Why don't they pick a spinner who can actually turn the ball outside of a mudtrack?

Even some mild innovation like producing a green seaming wicket next time someone like Sri Lanka tours might show some interest in the future development of their team. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying playing to your strengths is unfair or anything, it just doesn't give them a chance of any actual developments beyond boring opposition to death with an army of slow left armers on mud pitches- which in and of itself would be a great way to beat Australia I reckon but it's all a false dawn.
1) His body cant last a Test. He was constantly getting injured each time he got picked. It was eventually decided it's not worth it, and they'd rather extend his ODI career
2) They did pick Sohag Gazi. Unfortunately it turns out he had a dodgy action.

Recently there have been improvements made for the long-term development of BD cricket, such as revamping the FC system, trying to get the BPL underway, and arranging for more A Team and U-19 tours. But I agree, in general there is a lack of foresight and planning. It's like every 2 years they have a batch of whole new youngsters trying to find their way at Nat level, only to be discarded after a run of failure and never being picked again.

Hopefully this core of Shakib, Mushy, Mahmuduallah, Tamim, Anamul, Nasir, Mominul and Rubel will be around for a while. Mortaza is still valuable while he can bowl, and guys like Taskin, Taijul, Gazi, Imrul, Sabbir, Shaiful, and Al-Amin are al competing for a spot...so its looking good.

SkyBlue

us being crap doesn't excuse their being crap.

i man affers saying they'll pass WI in 5 years....5 years to pass the team that lost to non-test nation Ireland the other week...
I still expect West Indies to beat that Ireland team 8 out of 10 times.

Dan

Global Moderator
Recently there have been improvements made for the long-term development of BD cricket, such as revamping the FC system, trying to get the BPL underway, and arranging for more A Team and U-19 tours. But I agree, in general there is a lack of foresight and planning. It's like every 2 years they have a batch of whole new youngsters trying to find their way at Nat level, only to be discarded after a run of failure and never being picked again.

Hopefully this core of Shakib, Mushy, Mahmuduallah, Tamim, Anamul, Nasir, Mominul and Rubel will be around for a while. Mortaza is still valuable while he can bowl, and guys like Taskin, Taijul, Gazi, Imrul, Sabbir, Shaiful, and Al-Amin are al competing for a spot...so its looking good.
Big wraps on Sarkar as well, in spite of his lack of real results in the World Cup so far. I haven't actually seen him bat, but if he's half as promising as the articles are suggesting...

AndyZaltzHair

Big wraps on Sarkar as well, in spite of his lack of real results in the World Cup so far. I haven't actually seen him bat, but if he's half as promising as the articles are suggesting...
Thing with Soumya Sarkar is that he makes pretty 20s and 30s and gives it away. Have seen far too many players from BD with same sort of nature playing three-four glorious shots and giving it away for example Nazimuddin, Zunaid etc. Sarkar needs to calm down while he comes out to the crease and hope he makes big runs than those exciting 20s.

zorax

likes this
Yea Sarkar is talented but so were dozens of other BD kids (Ashraful the most blatant example). He's gotta produce results consistently (Like Mominul and to a lesser extent Mahmadullah and Nasir) before being considered a serious prospect.

Daemon

Rubbish posting from flem. Acknowledging problems Zimbabwe face and crediting their one off victories here and there while pretending Bangladesh has no such thing as poverty and completely discounting the wins they've also had over the years like beating India and South Africa in WC '07, England in '11 the thrashings dished out to NZ, nearly winning the Asia cup (Lost by 2 runs ffs).

Pouring money into a country and expecting them to compete with Test nations that have multiple decades or more of cricket history and infrastructure in 15 years is a bit unfair. The first generation of players that went through a proper system and international exposure can't be expected to suddenly become world beaters because they've got nicer facilities and play against better opposition. It takes time and the signs are there that Bangladesh is producing better players. It's slow, very frustrating and they've adopted a not so exciting brand of cricket in the process but the improvement is there.

You should be arguing for other associates to be given more opportunities, not for an improving nation to have less.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Maybe this shows we should give sides like ireland more chances and sides like bangladesh less?
It's about time at least as much as experience. A pool of players with limited talent wont become world beaters just via experience. You need to have the increased money and professionalism go down into all levels of cricket so that the next generations are better than the previous ones. Bangladesh are progressing OK, IMO.

But I do actually agree with your statement - need to get Ireland at the top level too so they can continue to progress and have the finances and resources to develop the next generation.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
**** you'd think I'd be used to a good old fashioned Scottish hard luck sporting story but that result is properly gutting.

Particularly since if you'd given me a choice of beating anyone, it would have been England first, Bangladesh 2nd.

hendrix

1) His body cant last a Test. He was constantly getting injured each time he got picked. It was eventually decided it's not worth it, and they'd rather extend his ODI career
2) They did pick Sohag Gazi. Unfortunately it turns out he had a dodgy action.

It's odd how unfit players who cbf playing on mud tracks (I don't blame them) tend to feel that their bodies can't handle test cricket. How old was he when he was getting injured all the time?

Shakib is world class, having him in their team is a massive luxury. He's their best bowler and best batsman. Along with Mahmudullah they have two excellent spin bowling allrounders which should allow them to play 3 pacers every game. They only ever need to pick one spinner.

Yet every scorecard we see has 8 bowlers, one of whom is some poor dude instructed to take the shine off the ball.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
**** you'd think I'd be used to a good old fashioned Scottish hard luck sporting story but that result is properly gutting.

Particularly since if you'd given me a choice of beating anyone, it would have been England first, Bangladesh 2nd.
Sorry Furball but there's nothing hard luck about that. Just batted well but lost comfortably really.