• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

33rd Match - England v Bangladesh (9th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wpdavid

The phrase "useless, useless bastards" is much overused when discussing English sport, but I think one can safely say it applies here.
It's the worst that even England have done in a cricket WC or a CT.

It's far worse than our footballers did in Brazil, or have ever done in a major tournament (possibly excluding the 1988 euros).

Even our rugby sides aren't as embarrassing as this.

We're into pre-Henman tennis territory here, aren't we? When our boys would routinely be knocked out of the Davis Cup by Lithuania or Slovenia iirc.

flibbertyjibber

Guess today is a good day to order a takeaway from a Bangladesh owned establishment, always get more meat in the meal when the cricket team have won.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's the worst that even England have done in a cricket WC or a CT.

It's far worse than our footballers did in Brazil, or have ever done in a major tournament (possibly excluding the 1988 euros).

Even our rugby sides aren't as embarrassing as this.

We're into pre-Henman tennis territory here, aren't we? When our boys would routinely be knocked out of the Davis Cup by Lithuania or Slovenia iirc.
88 was pretty abject, yeah. The Eire loss was hard to stomach, but we were in the same group as the Netherlands and the old Soviet Union who both made the final, so some vague mitigation there.

Plus, of course, just getting there to an 8 team tournament was almost praiseworthy in itself. We missed out in 84 thanks to an Alan Simonsen pen at Wembley, didn't we? If memory serves we defeated a pretty decent Yugoslavia 4-1 at their shop to secure passage to the 88 finals.

This feels worse.

& the whole tournament was set up to make sure this kind of thing didn't happen.

& yet...

wpdavid

88 was pretty abject, yeah. The Eire loss was hard to stomach, but we were in the same group as the Netherlands and the old Soviet Union who both made the final, so some vague mitigation there.

Plus, of course, just getting there to an 8 team tournament was almost praiseworthy in itself. We missed out in 84 thanks to an Alan Simonsen pen at Wembley, didn't we? If memory serves we defeated a pretty decent Yugoslavia 4-1 at their shop to secure passage to the 88 finals.

This feels worse.

& the whole tournament was set up to make sure this kind of thing didn't happen.

& yet...
I was at the Wembley game when Denmark knocked us out actually. We were poor, but Denmark were excellent. Phil Neal's clumsy handball for the penalty was a fitting end to his international career iirc.

You're right about the 1988 euros.

Failing to qualify for the 1994 WC felt pretty grim, but we were unlucky in both of the key home matches, as we were in Holland. It was only in Norway where we really stank.

Maybe McClaren's failure to lead us to the 2008 euros was as bad as the footie got.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'll pay that.

Needing to avoid defeat at home versus an already-qualified Croatia and failing (especially after recovering from 2-0 down to 2-2) has a special place in any lowlight reel of English football ignominy.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha all I can remember from that game is Syed Rasel getting Kallis out and the commentators going on about beating him for lack of pace. I couldn't even remember the result but I remembered that.
I remember Aftab Ahmed (who I always rated) coming in and smashing the bowling everywhere.

Burgey

The things I took most out of watching the end part of this game were Butler being a class player and the inability of the other England players to cope with the Bangladeshi seam bowlers in any meaningful sense. That and Jono doing the "not mentioning by name but sticking the needle into known posters while seemingly making innocent posts about their team" thing which disappoints me because I actually patented it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I did it far better. Didn't pick on defenceless Lankans. Went after the big boys and made them wahhh.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hey, you put me in your signature

That's kinda cute. The I'm here all week kinda mitigates that it was throwaway drivel but I'm flattered nonetheless

zorax

likes this
IDK if it's been said yet but I think it's hilarious that Morgan has been eliminated from the WC before Ireland has been.

Bahnz

Once England decide to drop him, will Morgan be able to go back to Ireland in the same excellerated time frame that Joyce did? It'll be neat (though highly unlikely) if Ireland were able to get him and Rankin back for the next World Cup.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hey, you put me in your signature

That's kinda cute. The I'm here all week kinda mitigates that it was throwaway drivel but I'm flattered nonetheless
Its genuinely aimed at SS's awesomeness tbh, rather than a shot at you. But I was hoping you'd wahhh more.

Burgey

Once England decide to drop him, will Morgan be able to go back to Ireland in the same excellerated time frame that Joyce did? It'll be neat (though highly unlikely) if Ireland were able to get him and Rankin back for the next World Cup.
I don't think they should drop him. He's way out of form, but he's a good LO player generally. The captaincy seems to have cruelled him though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You can't say England are minnows then claim to have picked on the big boys.
Talking GIMH and sledger ffs not England cricket team. But having said that, you raise a good point. If noting that Eng got owned by Banglas fast bowlers sets them off, they have also become minnows.