• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

33rd Match - England v Bangladesh (9th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HeathDavisSpeed

Its genuinely aimed at SS's awesomeness tbh, rather than a shot at you. But I was hoping you'd wahhh more.
I thought it was pretty poor quality trolling really. Sledger and GIMH are easy bait, and so the "waaaaah" line appears to have reaped dividends, but let's be honest that was the equivalent of a Bangladeshi quick unerringly sticking the ball outside off stump until Bell edges one - embarrassingly easy.

What I'd like to see more of is trolling like pointing out that England managed to lose to effectively a 10 man Bangladesh, given that Kayes was in the team. You need to aim higher, Jono. You need to successfully bait less nippy prey than GIMP and Sledger.

Also, whilst on the subject of nippy, did anyone notice Hussain's over-liberal use of the word nip in commentary yesterday. "Oooh, this Bangladeshi seamer's nipping it about hoping to nip one off the edge - clearly a bit of nip in the air tonight." Methinks Mr. Hussain had nips on the brain.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I thought it was pretty poor quality trolling really. Sledger and GIMH are easy bait, and so the "waaaaah" line appears to have reaped dividends, but let's be honest that was the equivalent of a Bangladeshi quick unerringly sticking the ball outside off stump until Bell edges one - embarrassingly easy.

What I'd like to see more of is trolling like pointing out that England managed to lose to effectively a 10 man Bangladesh, given that Kayes was in the team. You need to aim higher, Jono. You need to successfully bait less nippy prey than GIMP and Sledger.

Also, whilst on the subject of nippy, did anyone notice Hussain's over-liberal use of the word nip in commentary yesterday. "Oooh, this Bangladeshi seamer's nipping it about hoping to nip one off the edge - clearly a bit of nip in the air tonight." Methinks Mr. Hussain had nips on the brain.
This is the best I can do unfortunately.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Sledger was nothing to do with it ffs you just brought him up for no reason
Yeah he's still doing it for some reason as well. WAC. Still resents me for all the India posts I made once upon a time. Living in the past.

England has a cultural problem that goes far deeper than people want to believe.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
England's recent "successful era" was adjudged successful because the ECB (and the public) didn't set or demand elite standards. They didn't beat South Africa. They didn't win a world cup or go even remotely close to doing so. There was no behavioural or cultural assumption that success is built on longevity and broad reach. Backing up. Repeatedly. Consistently. Their success was measured on, and defined by, winning the ashes. And that was all about chasing and putting pay to past demons rather than acknowledging the present. Because the uncomfortable truth of the present (at that time) was that Australia were rubbish, and South Africa was at the top of the mountain. Success needed to be measured on rolling and dominating an array of sides, but especially aspiring towards and beyond the best.

Setting yourself for broad and long lasting success is about how you frame your mission mentally, what you demand of each other and what you pride yourself on. At what point are your standards met? You only have to listen to former England players like Graeme Swann getting bleary eyed about the "great era" they were part of to see that the problem is a broad cultural mentality out of the gate. That they consider the period from 2009-2012 a golden era is utterly embarrassing.
I think this is an interesting observation but can't you say the exact same thing about the Indian team, who are so far having a good WC? They won a WC, fair enough, but they were #1 in tests for half a day before dropping. They didn't really set up a long-term success plan.

Don't you feel this failure by England is just specific to how they've handled the fall from number 1, rather than their attitude during the time they were #1? Also the way they see limited overs cricket as well.

SJS

Maybe what Peter Moore said after yesterday's loss is a pointer towards what is wrong with English cricket . . .

“We thought 275 was chase able, We shall have to look at the data.”

Really !!

Son Of Coco

Maybe what Peter Moore said after yesterday's loss is a pointer towards what is wrong with English cricket . . .

“We thought 275 was chase able, We shall have to look at the data.”

Really !!
He'll follow it up with, "after punching the numbers into the calculator using large parts of my upper colon, it turns out we made a mistake - it wasn't chaseable at all".

I can't believe Channel 9 messed up so badly in not showing this game on TV last night too. Thousands upon thousands of Australians would have tuned it to watch so they could piss themselves laughing for hours on end on a Monday evening.

Last edited:

Rotkohl

Once England decide to drop him, will Morgan be able to go back to Ireland in the same excellerated time frame that Joyce did? It'll be neat (though highly unlikely) if Ireland were able to get him and Rankin back for the next World Cup.
Actually it'll be far sooner than the amount of time Joyce had to spend in the wilderness. They've relaxed the rules since then

7. where a male Player is seeking to qualify to play for a Full Member, he must not have participated
in an International Match for any other Full Member during the immediately preceding four years;
8. where a male Player is seeking to qualify to play for an Associate or Affiliate Member, he must not
have participated in an International Match for any other National Cricket Federation (irrespective
of its membership status) during the immediately preceding four years, save that in the event that
the male Player is seeking to return and play for the Associate or Affiliate Member that he
originally played for prior to qualifying to play for a Full Member, the four year stand out period
referred to in this Article 3.3.2 shall be reduced to two years;
http://icc-live.s3.amazonaws.com/cm...ility Rules - effective 18 September 2013.pdf

Rankin will be re-eligible in january 2016. If he wants to be selected again that is

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah takes the desire to cheer for him off somewhat in case the claims turn out to be true. i read the victim said she would forgive him if he married her. That either means she is following some religious thing or she likes him somehow or a bit of both.
No-one's suggesting that he raped her under a western understanding of rape. He promised to marry her and the backed out of it later.. and given they had sex while they were engaged, that's considered rape in Bangladesh even if it was consensual at the time, because the girl has supposedly submitted under false pretences. There was no force involved here.

Basically, it's a bogus charge. The guy just got cold feet/changed his mind. Not a rapist.

flibbertyjibber

Once England decide to drop him, will Morgan be able to go back to Ireland in the same excellerated time frame that Joyce did? It'll be neat (though highly unlikely) if Ireland were able to get him and Rankin back for the next World Cup.
Ireland should get test status and be allowed them back straight away. They have the players to be competitive with the smaller test nations already in the longer form IMO and may improve rapidly given the chance.