• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

37th Match - New Zealand v Bangladesh (13th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinzan

what did baz say in his speech?
Wasn't overly happy, said we weren't good enough in all 3 facets. Mentioned poor option-taking with the bat. Said Corey was good until he got out & then praised Guppy's batting & fielding & added that others could take a leaf from Guptill's book.

Finished by saying we needed to be better in all areas to go deep in the tournament.

The delivery was a little more stern than usual.

HeathDavisSpeed

He noted Taylor's drop off in form which seemed heretical.
He didn't note Taylor's loss of form. He attributed his loss of form to laziness linked to outdated racial stereotypes.

Anyone could see that Taylor had made an adjustment to his technique which was much to his detriment, but only Blocky decided to resurrect racial typecasting in order to explain it.

Bahnz

He didn't note Taylor's loss of form. He attributed his loss of form to laziness linked to outdated racial stereotypes.

Anyone could see that Taylor had made an adjustment to his technique which was much to his detriment, but only Blocky decided to resurrect racial typecasting in order to explain it.
I can't claim to have read every post that Blocky has ever written, because **** that noise, but I never once saw a post from him that made me think his criticism of Taylor's alleged laziness was ever racially based.

16 tins of Spam

I was at the pub for most of this match. We could've bowled and fielded better, but as far as the batting is concerned, I never thought the result was in doubt. A perfectly paced chase, and our batsmen got some time in the middle. I think we're well poised for the playoffs.

Athlai

Not Terrible
This is pretty much my dream result. Guptill and the Middle order score runs. Bangers do well. Mcclenenen gets hit. I've been rubbing the right lamp.

AndyZaltzHair

we will have problems in the quarters with our bowling. although bowling was good against England but also helped by the fact that England played bad. India wont provide such chances. Almost certain that we will go with Mash, Rubel, Taskin, Shakib and part timers to fill out another 10. Taijul and Sunny both looked bad and India will simply tonk any of them. can we take a chance and bring in Shafiul here. Seen the experiment and given the current form, there is no need to play 8 batsmen imo

Moss

Pretty decent result considering the Banglas, Shakib in particular, have had the wood on NZ for a long while now. So good to see Guptill turn back the clock and not rely purely on block-bash - this innings more Guppy circa 2010-11.

While I think the middle order is a lot better than people give them credit for ("get past the top 3 and NZ are extremely vulnerable yada yada"), the shots played by Anderson and Ronchi to get out in that situation reminded me why I'm so hesitant to back NZ in knockout games. Also, Taylor's frame of mind is anyone's guess and it's hard to say if he ended that innings in any better form than he started it.

On the positive side, I think the 4 wins versus test playing nations are a reflection of the greater self-belief this side has as compared to previous ones. Particularly love the fearlessness of Anderson and KW.

Moss

we will have problems in the quarters with our bowling. although bowling was good against England but also helped by the fact that England played bad. India wont provide such chances. Almost certain that we will go with Mash, Rubel, Taskin, Shakib and part timers to fill out another 10. Taijul and Sunny both looked bad and India will simply tonk any of them. can we take a chance and bring in Shafiul here. Seen the experiment and given the current form, there is no need to play 8 batsmen imo
Agree with you there. I've been mighty impressed with Bangladesh this tournament, probably the most improved side in recent times (apart from NZ? ha ha). But I have a feeling of all the opposition attacks yours is the one India would feel happiest to be up against. As good as the batting is, it'll be hard keeping up with India's batting might.

The danger for India is that this being Bangladesh's first time in the knockouts in a major tournament (2007 round of 8 aside?) I see them being extra fired-up for the occasion and maybe catching Dhoni and co a bit off-guard.

Sarun

Ruben should have gotten a bowl among the very later overs. Understood trying to take the ball away from the batsmen with spin by going off vs left and left-arm vs right.

Jimbo the giant

I was at the pub for most of this match. We could've bowled and fielded better, but as far as the batting is concerned, I never thought the result was in doubt. A perfectly paced chase, and our batsmen got some time in the middle. I think we're well poised for the playoffs.
It was by no means a perfectly paced chase. Before Guptill got cramp it was. He was scoring so quickly Taylor could just take his time and he was looking quite comfortable too. When Guptill started cramping he lost a bit of timing and Ross started to look panicked. When Elliott came in the rrr was around 6.5 and Taylor just started blocking like an idiot. Despite Elliott scoring better than a run a ball when he got out we needed 8 an over. I know Ross had good intentions to be anchor but him getting out really put the pressure on the rest of the team. While Guptill was in he played his role decently but when Gups got out Ross was still so badly out of touch he nearly ruined it for us. He got out trying to slog when he had been in blocking mode. It was a terrible look and a statistic padding knock. Hopefully he can be more assertive because to me it seems he is he got caught up in the pressure a bit and got caught between being aggressive and his defensive mind set. Guptill showed how its done Ross should follow his lead. Ross has to back himself and show intent and not let the bowlers dictate. That doesn't mean smashing boundaries either just not being so defensive and trying to score off a higher % of balls.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

I can't claim to have read every post that Blocky has ever written, because **** that noise, but I never once saw a post from him that made me think his criticism of Taylor's alleged laziness was ever racially based.
I would suggest you go back and have another look, but I wouldn't wish that 'joy' on anyone.