• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

37th Match - New Zealand v Bangladesh (13th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jimbo the giant

I would have said that McClenaghan highlighted the value of Anderson.

Anderson taking wickets allows us to get away with a third seamer who isn't.
Atleast we wont have an extra selection dilemma on our hands I suppose. McClenaghan was easily the worst of the first choice bowlers. Most of the reason they scored 100 off the last 10 really.

Coreys bowling is the most underrated aspect of our team atm I reckon. He has gone for plenty at times but that's probably because he's a target for the opposition. His strike rate is as good as Starc's thats how impressive his wicket taking ability has been. I reckon his pace must surprise people he actually hits the bat harder than expected and his control has improved greatly. He's actually not a bad death/power play bowler these days.

Flem274*

123/5
He has always been a talented bowler. Injuries cut him to pieces. I remember an HRV game where he was bowling high 130s and getting good lift and carry to the keeper. I wonder if because of the injuries he spent his first season in international cricket at 70% to get through the overs unscathed and is now pushing his body again.

Hurricane

He has always been a talented bowler. Injuries cut him to pieces. I remember an HRV game where he was bowling high 130s and getting good lift and carry to the keeper. I wonder if because of the injuries he spent his first season in international cricket at 70% to get through the overs unscathed and is now pushing his body again.
I was at the game yesterday, Corey is indeed pushing it and I hope an injury isn't around the corner.
The speed of his arm has increased compared to other games I have seen.

Baz is becoming an astute captain just quietly.
After mitch's first over that went for 11 he whipped him off and brought him back 5 overs later. In club cricket we would probably give the bowler a come back over right away after a horror first over.

hendrix

He kept bringing Southee and Boult back looking for the breakthrough. It was worth the risk imo because they'll get the wicket on most occasions.

Bangladesh did brilliantly to mostly survive that first spell. I wouldn't expect any other team in the competition to survive that as well as Bangladesh did.

Flem274*

123/5
erm i didn't see it but since bangladesh aren't exactly the best batting side in the tournament if they can survive southee and boult then others can too

hendrix

erm i didn't see it but since bangladesh aren't exactly the best batting side in the tournament if they can survive southee and boult then others can too
There were two dropped catches and Mahmudullah and Soumya were 2 of the most suited to grind it out.

I can't see any other top order surviving that spell. Maybe South Africa but I doubt it. Think most teams would've been 5-6 down after the first 12.

Flem274*

123/5
so you're saying Marmadoola and Soumya are the two best batsmen against swing bowling in the world?? because that's how your argument comes across.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
so you're saying Marmadoola and Soumya are the two best batsmen against swing bowling in the world?? because that's how your argument comes across.
Nah he's saying that most of the time it would have worked -- including against Mahmuduallah and Sarkar.

Cricket doesn't exist in a sphere where the most likely outcome always occurs though.. that's part of what makes it interesting.

Every team has batsmen good enough to survive Boult and Southee spells sometimes. Most of the time though? Nah, probably not.

Flem274*

123/5
Nah he's saying that most of the time it would have worked -- including against Mahmuduallah and Sarkar.

Cricket doesn't exist in a sphere where the most likely outcome always occurs though.. that's part of what makes it interesting.

Every team has batsmen good enough to survive Boult and Southee spells sometimes. Most of the time though? Nah, probably not.
this is what i was hoping he meant but the wording was confusing

kiwiviktor81

Lot of positives that the BCs can take from this match. For the first time, our bowling strategy, our best bowler and our two best batsmen all completely failed in the same match. Still we chased down almost 300 on a wicket that strongly suited the opposition. Not too worried about what happened tbh (plus I can now see the logic in picking Milne over McClenaghan).

kiwiviktor81

And the Bangladeshi innings could well have been one of those weird ones where if the batting had been better they would have nicked it behind more. Huge number of balls beating the bat in the first 10.

Greenlite

Thought it was quite unfair for Mitch to get all the stick when he hasn't played a game for almost 6 weeks. If anything this game showed if one of our top 4 bowlers gets inured we are F'ed, nature of Hessen's method and lets hope everyone will be fit for the knock outs.

Btw if a pace bowler gets injured in the final week, we can draft someone from the domestic competition right? They have plenty of game time, the other countries don't have as much scout report, would be a genuine good surprise instead of playing our nets bowlers.

wellAlbidarned

Mitch coming on at first change and getting pumped is what usually happens though. The only difference is today he didn't get jammy slog-over wickets to patch up his figures.