• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Quarter Final - New Zealand v West Indies (21st March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JediNudist

What do the numbers in circles mean?

On last night's game: all the hyperbole and superlatives have been handed out, so I'll not bother with that. An unforgettable experience with all the noise and activity and enthusiasm. I don't think we'll ever see crowds like this for cricket in NZ again, even if we do win the cup. I was just drinking it in and will be trying my best to remember as much as I can.

The Windies have some promising players, and I really admired their attempt to run down our total. It was the only reasonable approach and it says a lot that they kept bringing the required rate down - before Samuels got out I have to admit to some anxiety. But sadly, the Windies are a rabble; their fielding couldn't even be described as pathetic because they weren't even trying. Obviously they have serious problems on the administrative side that's stifling their potential. I hope for the sake of a healthy world game that they can sort it out.

Kia kaha NZ. I've waited my whole life to see us perform like this. It's literally a dream come true. There's a special air about this team - let's go on and win this thing.
Yeah I have no idea what the WI Cricket board is trying to do from one year to the next, Seems they are always in dispute with the national side and that's lead to a coupe of their most talented players Pollard and Darren Bravo being dumped by Clive Loyd . Its not good for the Windes with their board always acting up.

I did have some anxiety all right when Southee , Milne and Vettori were being mashed all over the ground. Suddenly 393 seemed small lol.

JediNudist

Grudging at best. Shame, read the first sentence and thought you were going to be gracious for a moment.
Well Gayle has stated he wants to play in the T20 world cup next year so you wont get your wish.
Jonson Charles had little match player really. That dismissal by Boult was absolutely chronic. His average of 20 worse than Smiths.

Moss

Full marks to McCullum for the decision to bat first. Fully expected him to continue the trend of asking his bowlers to finish off things up front, but his faith in the batting lineup is a great sign. Hope we show the same fearlessness against the Saffers.

Moss

Clive Lloyd might have been a fantastic cricketer and captain but he is an absolute disaster of a cricket administrator. He has basically ruined our ODI team, which wasn't actually that great anyway. Since dropping Dwayne Bravo we have almost conceded 400 on 4 occasions and we have gone from being quite good at the death to absoutely useless. It is telling.

This was not the time to rebuild, this was the time to put our best possible foot forward. Boneheaded cricket selection and it's pretty soul destroying for West Indies fans. I know what it sounds like to opposition fans that we are always bemoaning whose not there as if their presence would make us almost unbeatable. That's obviously not the case, we're not that great anyway but I would just like our sides to be selected and managed with a bit of common sense to give us the best possible chance. As things stand, with that side and with this set up, we don't stand a chance of winning consistently.
Good posting as always beamer, shame that you have to put up with performances like this from the Windies. Even in the absence of 5-6 first choice players, it was a pretty handy squad. I suppose with a brand new skipper it was always going to be hard to achieve any sort of cohesion. But by not selecting Roach for this game, and on top of that underbowling Taylor I think they never gave themselves much of a chance in the match.

Flem274*

123/5
Taylor was getting smashed tbf to holder. Taylor seems to br fluctuating wildly between god and mud atm.

Sammy snuck in a tidy spell last night

Blakey

I thought the same thing, but then I read it.
Read it. Wasn't disappointed.

WW is to West Indian cricket what Sonny Shaw is to the Black Caps. Unwaveringly loyal, although thankfully without the penchant for Thai ladies.

WW, especially in the face of dire circumstance will always back his team and in the process deliver the minimum amount of praise to the victor. He'll shame his team and management, wondering why they can't be like the WI team of the 70's and 80's.

Most fans will cling to 'If's, but's and maybe's', only for so long, but not WW, and I can only applauded him for it.

Where the sadist gains pleasure in other people's misery, I admit to reading WW's posts to brighten my day.

WW, loyal to the bitter end.

Fuller Pilch

WW is to West Indian cricket what Sonny Shaw is to the Black Caps. Unwaveringly loyal, although thankfully without the penchant for Thai ladies.

WW, especially in the face of dire circumstance will always back his team and in the process deliver the minimum amount of praise to the victor. He'll shame his team and management, wondering why they can't be like the WI team of the 70's and 80's.

Most fans will cling to 'If's, but's and maybe's', only for so long, but not WW, and I can only applauded him for it.

Where the sadist gains pleasure in other people's misery, I admit to reading WW's posts to brighten my day.

Yeah if there was ever a WI doom and gloom thread, WW would be on there saying they were about to turn the corner and return to no 1. Without sounding patronising I really like that attitude.

I actually hope that they can get team selection right, work on discipline - the boring stuff like hitting a spot on or just outside off, milking singles etc and get some world-class batsmen (as well as hitters), bcos the talent is still there. And prepare better pitches!

Dan

Global Moderator
Taylor was getting smashed tbf to holder. Taylor seems to br fluctuating wildly between god and mud atm.

Sammy snuck in a tidy spell last night
Taylor and Holder are both a bit Ol' Man River IMO. Bowl 'em out before the 35th and rely on Russell and, erm, yeah...

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

You can be loyal to the bitter end, but you can also give credit where credits due.

Hurricane

You can be loyal to the bitter end, but you can also give credit where credits due.
There isn't much wrong with his post. He said Well done Blackcaps. And then bitched about his own team and offered some excuses why they didn't do better. And he is right if we were missing players the calibre of what they were missing we would bitch too. When we lost in the champions trophy final against Australia we all complained about missing Vettori and Ryder.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I really don't get why you guys care so much about whether WW gives credit to NZ. Really odd.

Kind of same with all the Blocky posting during Guptill awesome double ton. Your player is scoring a double ton at home to get your team in a WC semi final. ATG knock without a doubt. Just weird as **** to be thinking of some **** on a forum, let alone someone like Blocky.

You arguably have the best (and definitely have the coolest) team in the World Cup. Just enjoy it and stop worrying about some douchey posters.

Immenso

I really don't get why you guys care so much about whether WW gives credit to NZ. Really odd.

Kind of same with all the Blocky posting during Guptill awesome double ton. Your player is scoring a double ton at home to get your team in a WC semi final. ATG knock without a doubt. Just weird as **** to be thinking of some **** on a forum, let alone someone like Blocky.

You arguably have the best (and definitely have the coolest) team in the World Cup. Just enjoy it and stop worrying about some douchey posters.
Like the back-to-back ashes. I think some NZ fans and WW have just seen too much of each other.

wellAlbidarned

He's too much fun. The world is boring when everyone is logical and modest.

HeathDavisSpeed

Enough with the moralistic crap. Last time I checked, this wasn't the set of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air (much to my chagrin. also, I add that having met Jono, he's got a lot in common with Carlton)

NZTailender

There isn't much wrong with his post. He said Well done Blackcaps. And then bitched about his own team and offered some excuses why they didn't do better. And he is right if we were missing players the calibre of what they were missing we would bitch too. When we lost in the champions trophy final against Australia we all complained about missing Vettori and Ryder.
That's true; but even with the players of calibre would the results been that different for the WIndies? Sure they might've done better in the pool play but NZ simply has a better team overall.

Hurricane

That's true; but even with the players of calibre would the results been that different for the WIndies? Sure they might've done better in the pool play but NZ simply has a better team overall.
Maybe they could have come 3rd and not gone up against the blackcaps....or maybe even 2nd...

NZTailender

When people repeatedly knock a player down like Blocky has with Guptill, so vocally, over and over, in rather vicious ways, it's obvious it's a pet issue for them and the agenda becomes so unbearable its sweet justice when they go out and score a double century in a critical match to go some way to proving that they're wrong.

A few years ago you might say that NZ and WI would be even stevens in terms of talent and that the WIndies were badly managed, etc, making any results seem unresolved.

But now, even if they had their full strength XI and a coach on Hesson's level, I don't think they would've won tbh. I'd take Gayle in his career perhaps to open, Roach over Milne and Bravo for Elliott but that's about it.

Last edited:

jcas0167

I think Blocky just died of an aneurism. Can someone dig up his quote about Guptill not having a career past next year?
Given the amount of Blocky talk is it possible to please reinstate him? It seems only fair to let the man have a chance to reply. No doubt he'll be big enough to acknowledge he was wrong about Guptill, he certainly wasn't the only one who had doubts about his role in the team.