• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes milestones and records thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Marnus Labuschagne has an interesting list of events/achievements

- First cricketer to bat due to the concussion substitute rule
- Matador Cup player of the tournament (where he finished outside the top 8 runscorers and was a weird choice)
- First Oz domestic player to give away penalty runs for fake fielding
- That terrible run out in the UAE
What was the fake fielding thing?

Burgey

Yeah he put his hand up straight away.

Isn't he meant to be a brilliant short leg fielder as well? Was it him who was a sub in a test a few years who took a ball tearer in close? can't recall who Australia was playing.

Spark

Global Moderator
That's because he's not very good.

To be fair to him, he's done the Mitch Marsh thing where he gets the selectors interested by playing these crazy innings against our number 1 bowling attack and then looks like a deer caught in headlights when he's actually given a run. Should have his cards marked now though.
To be be also fair to him, Mitch Marsh at least was contributing to the team with the ball. Bancroft mostly has one catch to his credit.

morgieb

To be be also fair to him, Mitch Marsh at least was contributing to the team with the ball. Bancroft mostly has one catch to his credit.
Yeah for half of Marsh's career he was effectively playing as a 5th bowler. And unlike Bancroft, he actually has had some decent innings at Test level, just nowhere near enough to get as many Tests as he did.

Lillian Thomson

That 67 must have its own catalog. Denly had the lowest highest score ever for England in an all out innings.
I’m sure there’s loads of stuff.

Nishant Guleria

Jonny Bairstow is 194 runs away from completing 4000 runs in Tests.
Tim Paine is 16 runs away from completing 1000 runs in Tests and as wicket keeper-batsman as well.
Peter Handscomb is 66 runs away from completing 1000 runs in Tests.
Stuart Broad is 162 runs away from completing 1000 runs in The Ashes.

wpdavid

Jonny Bairstow is 194 runs away from completing 4000 runs in Tests.
Tim Paine is 16 runs away from completing 1000 runs in Tests and as wicket keeper-batsman as well.
Peter Handscomb is 66 runs away from completing 1000 runs in Tests.
Stuart Broad is 162 runs away from completing 1000 runs in The Ashes.
Looking forward to Jonny and Stuart hitting those milestones over the next day and a bit.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not sure if this is the right thread but I just looked up the series stats. Smith still leads the run charts despite only batting half the time. Stokes has two unbeaten tons and still well short of him on average.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Lowest innings score for a winning side since the 1880s apparently

I wonder if Burgey can tell us whether the previous time was as exciting a match

wpdavid

I'm wondering if anyone has ever made 5x their first innings score in the second before.
England would have done at Brisbane in 2010 if time allowed.

The nearest I can remember was new Zealand at Trent Bridge in 1973; bowled out for 97 first time and then scored over 400 second time around. Certainly 4x, but in all honesty some way short of 5x.